Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   High Speed Boating Questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/209500-high-speed-boating-questions.html)

OkieTunnel 06-01-2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 2878115)
IMO, he should be there to fine tune the obvisous and showing more advanced driving and not to teach something that would be so critical regardless of seat time.

???

SeeYouThere 06-01-2009 09:58 PM

Drives trimmed too much means what? That instead of being level, the drives were pointed up, so they would lever the front end of the boat up out of the water?

bert4332 06-01-2009 10:10 PM

I think a lot of people use different terminology, but yes, trim tabs pointed down forces the bow down, assists getting on plane from the start. Use of them while on plane will give you more balance but also creates more drag, less top end.

I played with mine all weekend in turns, not sure if I'm doing something dangerous or not, if I was turning left I would drop my left tab down, tuck my drive and do the opposite when coming out of the turn. This is the kind of advice that would be nice to have by someone with a proven race driving record.

bert4332 06-01-2009 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel (Post 2878125)
???

What I'm saying is that he should not have to waste his time with something that could be learned else where, you only have him for a certain amount of time and if I can pick something from a former/current performance driver, practice it and then have Tres perfect it, I would that more of a better driver in the same amount of time.

Wildman_grafix 06-02-2009 07:57 AM

I played with mine all weekend in turns, not sure if I'm doing something dangerous or not, if I was turning left I would drop my left tab down, tuck my drive and do the opposite when coming out of the turn. This is the kind of advice that would be nice to have by someone with a proven race driving record.
I can't recall, is your boat a stepped hull?

bert4332 06-02-2009 02:49 PM

No, so I have it pretty easy!

blue thunder 06-02-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere (Post 2878126)
Drives trimmed too much means what? That instead of being level, the drives were pointed up, so they would lever the front end of the boat up out of the water?

A boat is like a teetertotter. Push the back down and the front will go up. Trimming up the drives makes the props want to dive, therefore pushing the stern down, bow up. Now add in a roller and 60+mph speed and you are landing on your transom. Most dangerous scenario I know of that will be routinely encounter on any large body of water and regarding handling skills.