Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26 >

Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26

Notices

Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26

Im seriously considering selling my little 232 baja and upgrading to an active thunder tantrum (25) or a sonic prowler (26). I have looked at just about everything out there and I have narrowed it down to these two boats. Any feedback on the differences between the 2? From what I have gathered the active thunder will no doubt be faster, but that’s not everything, as I don’t do poker runs or anything of that nature, but do like to be competive if I end up in a race. The lakes and rivers I go on are decently choppy, not ocean or great lakes choppy, but anything buy smooth. Equally as important to me is the room in the cockpit. Its hard to tell from the few pics I have seen which is bigger. The sonic seems to have a nicer cabin, with an enclosed head, which is a bonus. Although im a fan of the aluminum swim platforms, I hang a lot at a sandbar, and the baja has an integrated platform, which I have grown to like a lot as it seems to do a nice job covering the drive and tabs. Any feedback on the 2 boats I would appreciate. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive had both boats but different size's..SYDWAYS on here can awnser all your Q's..try pm him if he doesnt chime in..I like the A.T.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Similar overall sized boats, but the Sonic will feel bigger and more lumbering.
Some of the 26' Sonics had some porpoising issues which have to be dialed out of them with tabs, trim, and maybe prop tuning.
I don't know of any 25ATs with such issue.

Cockpit size is about the same.
Engine room is about the same.
Cabin is a bit bigger on the Sonic. The "girth" of the boat is bigger on the Sonic which is what makes it heavier and more lumbering.
The AT will be faster pony for pony.

I'd say aim for a 28 Active Thunder and be happy for several years, rather than just a couple and be ready to upgrade again.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sydwase, you said lumbering twice about the sonic. Is it that bad? I`ve heard boath are good boats. Also that A/t was lighter and faster but the sonic is more roomy and lumbering.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Nope, the Sonic is not a bad boat. I owned a 26 Sonic and LOVED that boat. I wish I never sold it.

However, comparing it to a 25 Active Thunder, the 25AT is going to handle like a go-kart, and the 26 Sonic like a Trans-Am.

I should have also put more clarification in my first post.
I'd recommend the AT over the Sonic for the "Chain" which is a chain of lakes and rivers in Northern IL/Southern WI.

For anything like the Chesapeake Bay, or some consistent bigger water, I'd want the Sonic OR a 28AT.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 PM

I own a 98 Prowler w/ a 525SC, & I really love the boat. It has a "big" feeling with a deep free board. It has no trouble handling the Gulf when it gets a bit nasty. The boat does have the porpoising issue that sydways mentioned, it only seems to be there between 35 & 50 mph, but I do have K-planes, & using them, eliminates it. Above 50, I lift the tabs all the way up & go...
The boat will run mid 70's, but I have a 5 blade Hydromotive prop, so the scrubbed a bit of speed off of it.
I'm not sure if you do your own maintaince, but the room around the engine is great. I haven't found anything that is tough to do. I can change the water pump impeller in about 20 mins. & the plugs less time than that.
I can't comment of the 25 AT, never seen one, but I too was considering one. If a 28 AT would've come along when I was shopping, I'd jumped all over it.
The Sonic was just a deal I couldn't pass up, a well maintained boat, & the price was perfect for the boat.
Drop me a PM, & I'll send you some pics, I've done a complete dash upgrade, complete with Autometer monster gauges, custom paint on the panels, & it looks great.
Which ever way you choose, you won't go wrong.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

I have ridden on both as well and I Like the AT ride better. The AT is a much lighter feeling which feels like the boat is skipping atop the chop where the Sonic felt more in the water to me. Both are VERY nice and I would be lucky to own either one but we all have our ride we like and I like a light feeling ride. I don't think you can go wrong with either boat. Lots of luck.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

One more thing. The Sonic cockpit was better fitting for me. I am a "husky" 6' boy, the squeeze between the seat and steering wheel on the AT had me sucking in my potbelly...
Attached Thumbnails Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-sox-001-medium-.jpg   Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-sox-009-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by SOX; 05-27-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added photos of wife and me running AT
Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, its exactly what i was looking for. Seems like i cant go wrong with whatever happens to come my way. Another question i have is the seating capacity. baja Capacity sticker says 6 people or 1400 pounds. Are there any such capacity's on these boats? Im not sure what they base it off of as i have a seat in the cuddy, albeit a small one, but it doesnt count as i dont think anyone is allowed there while the boat is underway? thanks again!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chain runner you have narrowed your search to two great boats.
I would do the same thing.
If you pick the sonic I have a nice one that I dont use anymore
Super clean and 10hrs on the new raylar 525 HO.
Ive been on both boats. The sonic has more room in the cabin.
They have about the same room for passengers. My boat had the 35 to 50 mph bounce that you here people talk about when it had the stock 496 HO but with the 525 it dont do it.
You may not be too far from us. Western Ky,so ill
Attached Thumbnails Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-dsc00447.jpg   Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-sonic2.bmp   Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-untitled.bmp  

Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-sonic4.bmp   Active Thunder 25 Vs. Sonic 26-sonic3.bmp  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.