Group discount on a cool new toy!! >

Group discount on a cool new toy!!

Notices

Group discount on a cool new toy!!

Old 03-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Group discount on a cool new toy!!

This month in Powerboat there is an article on the Harbormaster Mark 2 alarm system. I
have been a beta tester on this unit since last year and I can vouch for the fact that it
works well and is a pretty trick addition to the boat. It allows you to monitor the normal
break-in type stuff like hatches and doors and will call you if activated with it's own cell phone.
You can also get alarms for high water, low battery, and loss of AC shorepower. If the boat triggers a break-in alarm and you have a GPS hooked up it will transmit it’s postion, just like a Lojac. There is also a remote feature that will allow you to activate a relay-to turn on a battery charger or ice
maker for instance. There is also a regular statistics report that is generated as often as
you desire. All the details are available at www.harborstore.com.
The people that make it have also been really great to work with. I have talked with
them about offering a discount to OSO members like some of the other products have
done in the past. The units retail for $899.00 and have 2 levels of monitoring- $25.00 and
$35.00 per month. If we can get 10 orders the price will be $849.00, 15 orders-$819.00,
or 25 or more at $799.00 plus actual shipping costs. All units will also come with 2
months of free monitoring and I will be happy to help anybody out with technical
questions related to installation or use of the unit in addition to the tech support the
company offers. If you are interested or have any questions, please e-mail me direct at
[email protected] and I will get back with you ASAP. The deadline for the order is
Tuesday, April 9th.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a very cool idea. I am going to look into it for educational purposes but the price is to high for me to consider. The monitoring is also high in comparison to LOJAK and even home monitoring systems. However that being said it sounds like they have put a lot of thought into the system.

Jon
Old 03-27-2002, 02:30 PM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5.5 % discount for ordering 10 units?????
Thats no deal for anyone to even think about. Great product for down south boaters, up north thats steep for 5 months. I guess I dont make enough money!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey, I'm doing the best I can here-O.K.?? I already have one They can't get these down too far because of the quality of the units. I'm sure there are also a lot of R&D costs involved in these things that must be recovered. As for the monitoring this is a two way system that is web based which is a little more sophisticated than Lojac or home alarms. I also talked with another company at the Boat show that was more for the unit and the monitoring
Old 03-27-2002, 09:37 PM
jb
Registered

Dont get me wrong. I guess if I had a real boat, the system would be very nice. The price really does not seem that bad at all. I was just not impressed with the discount. I understand your reasoning in defense!
Has yours ever gone off or been needed???
Old 03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thankfully the only thing I have needed it for was low battery voltage! I keep my boat on a lift so high water would be a REALLY BIG PROBLEM The AC feature is nice since I can tell if the food in the fridge needs to be chucked It does send you stats every day(week, month) so you can see if a bilge pump cycles too much or the doors have been opened(even if the alarm is off) and it will also tell you if either of the remotes have been used(like the one you leave with the marina office).

It also has never given a false alarm-which is pretty nice too.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

ttt
Old 03-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sounds like a neat product for the "cruiser" folks that leave their boats in the slip.

With an OS boat, around here, people rack store or trailer it and just dock shorter periods of time to save clean up work, at least everyone I know does. Probably not feasible to spend that amount of money for the time the boats sit unattended in our group.

However, I've often wondered about the thoughts that may go through a criminal's mind stealing a boat here on Lake MI....where the hell are you going? Just seems kinda lame to steal a boat in the water, and probably dumber to steal one on the trailer. Yeah, I'll get away from the cops with 10,000 lbs behind that stolen truck. In the water, they won't go all that far before running out of gas, and a crook probably won't stop to fill up 100+ gallons of fuel unless a wallet is left on the boat....I know it happens, though, and unfortunate as all get out, but it still doesn't stop me from wondering what in the hell goes on in the minds of those criminals....well, maybe I don't really want to know.....if only they put their minds to use for legimate things...

If I had a boat I left in the water, that sure sounds like a cool system. If it just deters one person, it's paid for itself many times over.

Mark
Old 03-31-2002, 11:09 PM
Registered

My security company, Buzz-Off Alarm Systems can offer OSO members a similiar system that calls or emails entry, low battery, etc and allows engine disabling via the internet or any touch tone phone. I can offer the units for $599.00 and only $10.00 per month. Feel free to contact me at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz