Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Had an interesting day today.... >

Had an interesting day today....

Notices

Had an interesting day today....

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had an interesting day today....

Well, we got to the lake about 10am, and we idled out of the channel, all was good. Starting cruising, and I happened to glance at the temp gauge, and it was crossing 200 on its way to 250!!!!!

So I immediately shut down, and opened the hatch to let the air cool the motor a little.

Once the boat cooled down a bit I took the raw water pump off, and it was still great, and the water inlet hose, was free flowing very good. So I knew there was water at the raw pump.

So I pulled the thermostat to see what would happen, and it still ran right back up. So finally out on the lake I pulled the circulation pump, and what do you know, I manage to snake a HUGE piece of seaweed that was wrapped around the impeller preventing the water from being moved.

Put it all back together, and fired it up, went from 200 to under 100 instantly (no thermostat) so I let it idle for a minute, and temp never rose again, so I put the thermostat in and she stayed right at 150 for the rest of the day, purred like a kitten.

Now, my buddies I was meeting out there in their 25' Sunsation, well they broke down, and I towed them to a local bar on an island near our area. Helped them check it over, and deemed the coil bad, of course, couldn't get one, and there trailer was about 10 miles away on the water, or 60 miles away on land, not to mention having to catch a ferry to get on the island. So I towed them across the lake and got them back to their trailer. Ended up grabbing a coil off this old 350 I had, and we plugged it in, fired right up and she was good to go. He will be getting the correct coil tomorrow....

What an exciting adventure today was!!!

Last edited by SmurfOnABoat; 05-31-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered

That sucks, but sounds a lot like my Saturday, except I overheated due to having half a coconut stuck to the front of my lower unit, and Ray broke a starter a few miles north later, so I towed him back 15 miles.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Boating...

If it'd be easy, everyone would do it!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Smurf, would you consider adding a sea strainer?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Smurf, would you consider adding a sea strainer?
I was actually just thinking about that. When I got home, I had seaweed hanging out of my water inlet on the drive...

Yes I would consider it. Is it an easy option to add?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At leaste it did not rain!

Probabaly not to hard to put in the sea strainer.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That sucks smurf, we were at Gull all day Sat. and Sun. hit Browns for the stereo comp and Deckers for the game. I thought you said you couldn't get out for a few weeks! At least your problem was minor and now you're good to go
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Easy to add one in.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NKissau
That sucks smurf, we were at Gull all day Sat. and Sun. hit Browns for the stereo comp and Deckers for the game. I thought you said you couldn't get out for a few weeks! At least your problem was minor and now you're good to go
I think we drove right around you on sunday. We came down gull from the south, and came up the channel and went around the island and headed out towards the lighthouses, and you were pulling up to the beach just as we were in the middle of the two channels that go around gull.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
I think we drove right around you on sunday. We came down gull from the south, and came up the channel and went around the island and headed out towards the lighthouses, and you were pulling up to the beach just as we were in the middle of the two channels that go around gull.

I had to have missed you sometime on sat...I was around Gull at about 2PM, went back to Metro Beach and then headed to Rick's and down the Detroit River to downtown. On the way back across, we went down the Clinton River a bit before taking boat out of water. It was a bit rough in the 25 though, 3-4 footers I would say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.