Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21019-manuvering-boat-trailer-tight-driveway-need-ideas.html)

puder 03-27-2002 11:15 AM

read my post on the biggest boat smallest tow vehicle thread.

Notice my "incident" with trying to use my quad to pull (move) my 27.

FYI I almost lost a testicle....

jafo 03-27-2002 11:23 AM

I've seen the Powercaster PC3 (biggest one) move huge big houseboats on cradle trailers and big cruisers that far outweigh most performance boats and their associated tongue weights.
The only gotcha with one of these brutes would be the incline- no more than 10% is recommended. If your incline is less than that, get the boat as close as you can with the truck, chock it, and push it in with a powercaster.

SeaDated 03-27-2002 11:29 AM

Budman is right on target. Front hitchs work fantastic. I have one on my suburban and you can turn the trailer instantly and as tight as you want. Cheep and effective.

Kokopelli 03-27-2002 06:15 PM

Damn guys, great idea's!! Boatnut where would you like me to deliver the boat to? Do you want the gas tank full as well! Thanks that gave me a great laugh! That powercaster looks kind of trick but I'm not sure of my incline yet and I wonder how easily it would turn. I think I'm going to try the front hitch on my daughters old s-10 blazer its a pretty short wheelbase, I just hope it doesn't lift the rear wheels off the ground. The ATV idea kinda scares me especially since Puder's near emasculation. I've even toyed with the idea of picking up a used forklift at an auction - but then thats just something else I've got to keep running. Thanks again for all the idea's. If the county ever isuues my permit and I get the damn thing built I'll let you know how it turned out.

HavasuCat 03-27-2002 07:26 PM

I have the Power caster 3 and the thing will move any boat out there on a trailer. It has an extreme amount of power and torque but it is slow. The only problem is braking on hills. If you have electric brakes on the trailer you can get a kit that you can use with the Power caster. Believe me this thing is awesome and can move alot of weight.

Kokopelli 03-27-2002 07:32 PM

Havasucat,

Stupid question, but I assume it has a forward and reverse? Do you have hills to deal with? I was wondering about the hill deall as once I pull out of the garage I will have a downslope. I gues I could just lay a 4x4 across the driveway where I wanted it to stop.

kevin225BR 03-28-2002 12:34 AM

or plant some nice size trees i'm sure that will stop your boat.

Audiofn 03-28-2002 07:09 AM

Get yourself the landscaping plans and put it out on the ground at a deserted parking lot and see what you actually have. You may be supries one way or the other. Then you can actually test it out for yourself. Just get some tape and put it all down on the pavement and give it a go.

Jon

HavasuCat 03-28-2002 12:49 PM

Kokopelli,

It does have a forward and reverse, and will easily climb hills (I have a long hill leading up to my garage). The only problem is braking. You can't use the forward / reverse as a brake because it has to come to a stop before it allows you to reverse the direction. If you can get electric brakes on the trailer you can get the attachment that hooks to the Powercaster and use the trailers brakes.

The Powercaster is a quality built piece of equipment and works well, but it is a little expensive. I payed $1000. for mine, but I got a lifetime warranty. They are built out of the family's house in Los Angeles and they really take pride in their product.

I know what you are going through. The day I brought my boat home I could not get it up to the brand new 60' x 20' garage I had just built to house it . I had a dozer out there the next day to make my driveway wider so I could make the turn leading to the garage. My girlfriend left the house because I was so pissed. I had just worked for months on the garage and spent alot of money and now the boat had to spend the night outside.

PS: I would be careful trying to use a 4x4 as a brake. I would hate for you to lose control of your trailer and boat.

Kokopelli 03-28-2002 07:00 PM

Havasucat,

Thanks for the info. No better advice than from one who has gone through it. Much appreciated! See you at Havasu.