Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ? >

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?

Notices

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?

Is Anybody knowledgeable about fluid flow dynamics? I'm working with a Water pickup tube for my innercoolers on my Hustler. It has 90 degree mandrel bends. I've been told that full down is 1 psi per1 mph,and that the pickup will have to much pressure.

The inlet and outlet hasnt been cut yet
Whats going to be the deference on these 2 pieces of lower tubing? Both are 90's, one has a 1.5 radius and original is 2.5.

The reason I replaced the 2.5 to the 1.5 is to make it shorter,It will not fit my knotch and I have to have it 90 degrees to the bottom,its got to look right tooI've got it cut to fit and have adjustiblity of 1.800 up and down. Highest setting is .125 hanging down below the edge of the transom picking up water.

How much drag would it be if adjusted down over 50%, MPH?

Here are some pictures what I'm working with , one is a complete long version with the 2.5 radi. I bought a short version kit not assembled which was still to long by a inch.So I bought a 1.5 peice to raise up the inlet.

Also the new water pickup will be for sale when Im finished.

lower tube is 1.375 od 1.250 id
upper tube is 1.500 od 1.400 id

then to a hose barb 1 1/4 rubber hose

thanks for any help
Rob

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/...drop/index.htm

Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-012-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-010-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-018-large-.jpg  

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-019-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-009-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-04-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

The pictures of the pickup thats welded together is their long version,my version is around 2 inches shorter.and they said it could not be done

I found out the hard way, 1 3/8 od is real hard to find in this radius.
Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-027-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-028-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-029-large-.jpg  

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pickup-new-radious-6-09-032-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pick-up-40109-011-large-large-.jpg  

Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I understand what you're doing, but I have never seen a water pick that faces forward to that extent. I would think that just running it straight down with the trailing edge a 1/4 lower would flow plenty.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Rob
VIP Member

This is my old one ,it had zero pressure and had about a 1/3 of water ruining thru the sea strainer.the faster the less water and worse aerated

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqahAskCesI[/YOUTUBE]
Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-water-pick-up-4-2-09-005-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-wind-6-10-2007-004-large-.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-july-42008-045-large-.jpg  

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-july-42008-050-large-.jpg  

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Griff
I understand what you're doing, but I have never seen a water pick that faces forward to that extent. I would think that just running it straight down with the trailing edge a 1/4 lower would flow plenty.

its not cut on that end yet. It will be like the other one, flush with the transom. It will look like the completed one on the inlet and outlet.sorry for leaving that out.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsRhQxNq7_4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is some interesting stuff.

It is obvious that the innercooler isn't getting a good supply with that setup by looking at your video's.

Chris
Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

I don't think flow equations are gonna solve this for you. Too much variation is possible at the inlet. Water conditions, load, and running attitude will all effect how much you are picking up. I would rather pick up plenty and then dump the excess or choke the flow before the intercooler.

Greg
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

We had some issues with blowing braided Stainless lines from too much water pressure at high speeds. Make sure you have a valve near the pick up in case that happens, or a box of tampons to plug the hose. We didn't at the time, and took on water faster then the bilge pumps can keep up with
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Going to be hard to do without installing it and trimming/testing. I watched this same process on a 42 Fountain. I could not believe how much the smallest adjustments made. A lot depended on the attitude of the boat. When complete, you would have never thought the pickup would take water based on the way it looked on the trailer.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob I took these of a cat at the Miami Boat show, I hope these help
Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-img_0095.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-img_0096.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-img_0097.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.