Notices

EMI vs IMCO exhaust

Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMI vs IMCO exhaust

I'm in the beginining stages of of rebuilding my whippled 496HO. The main reason for the rebuild is to beef up the motor and hopefully pick up a few ponies along the way.

I have narrowed my search to these two types of exhaust systems mainly due to the fact that they are quieter in the closed (silient) mode than tube type headers when used with my corsa Q&Q.

Does any have any opions on which system might be better or know of something else?

IMCO & EMI exhaust systems
Attached Thumbnails EMI  vs  IMCO exhaust-exhaust.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to sell the EMI's a few years ago. After selling probably 100 sets, I stopped selling them because of problems. They started cracking and leaking after a few months. One problem that they have fixed is that the water no longer comes to the top of the manifold. If you use the aluminum risers, you need to transfer water through the joint between the manifold and riser. If you use the SS risers,like in your pic, then you must use a jumper hose to route the water from the manifold to the riser. The water holes were still in the manifold at the top, even though they didn't need to be for the SS risers. They would corrode over time and eat away at the gasket and start to leak into the manifold. They started blocking that passage off so that it no longer came all the way to the top of the manifold, only high enough to get out of the jumper hose. I use to weld them up and mill them flat before they fixed it. After that, the welds started failing in the risers and they would leak. It cost a few engines for a couple guys. I stopped selling them after that. Now, I haven't used them in about 4 years, so they may have all of the issues taken care of. I'm not trying to bad mouth them, this is just my personnal experience. I was in salt water so I'm sure that did not help. They said to stop using the polished ones in salt and go to the black powdercoat. I would use them in any application, since the polished ones have no protection from corrosion caused by salt or anything else.
I will add that they did replace any manifolds or risers that were defective. They did not pay my labor to R & R them and I had to ship them back on my nickel, but they did replace the units.
I have used several sets of the IMCO manifolds and can't say enough good things about them. They have performed flawlessly. They were quite a bit more than the EMI's and that is why I sold so many EMI's. The IMCO's may be more but they are well worth every penny. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Live Wire... just wondering what exhaust you went with? After reading an article about the EMI on a 496 I am thinking about adding them.

Young Performance I did some on line search and noticed these two exhausts are about the same pricing. Did EMI beef things up or did IMCO lower their price?

Thanks for the info ahead of time.

Last edited by NoWake200; 06-04-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NoWake200
Live Wire... just wondering what exhaust you went with? After reading an article about the EMI on a 496 I am thinking about adding them.

Young Performance I did some on line search and noticed these two exhausts are about the same pricing. Did EMI beef things up or did IMCO lower their price?

Thanks for the info ahead of time.
Livewire currently has not upgraded his exhaust. I know he is still looking at some options.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Live wire, my suggestion for a Whippled 496 is to run the Dana Flo-Torque with the #5 riser for the blower motor. Way better power and results because its really a header in a manifold not just a manifold with a riser. Way better looking also!!
If you are ready to upgrade your block and such for the Whipple supercharging, let us know we've done quite a few successfully and Dustin has a program for our setup with our supercharger grind cam. If we can help let us know.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine
Livewire currently has not upgraded his exhaust. I know he is still looking at some options.
Thanks for the reply... I was just wondering if he went with the EMIs and how they were holding up. But since he hasn't then there is nothing to report.

I am also thinking Dana system along with getting the $$$ as well.