If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Here's Johnny's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 358 Diablo
    Manhasset, NY

Garmin GPS 640....?

Anyone use or own the Garmin GPS Map 640...... I went to west marine and they showed me this unit. It seems perfect for my needs......If I go any larger it would have to go in front of the passenger which I don't really want to do. This has touch screen and is able to work with the G2 Vision cards. Seems much better then the small hand helds out there. I just want to see if it performs like they say it does.....or should I just go larger and put it in front of the passenger....which I just don't think is convenient......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member Platinum Member First Gun's Avatar
    My Boats:
    38 Top Gun
    The 640 is a kick azz unit, pre loaded with coastline detail of the whole US, touch screen ,and ready for street nav as well.

My Boats:
    '07 26 Outlaw SST
    San Francisco, CA
    Did you end up getting the 640? How do you like it? Are there other units on the market that are comparable for under $1500? This looks like the perfect unit for my set up, I'll just use the ram suction cup mount to the left of my gages.

I just returned the GPS 478, I was not happy with that model at all. I think someone else had used it and returned it becuase the battery lasted less than two hours and I did not have the screen very bright. Also I was dissapointed that it was only a "point to point" nav unit which means no turn by turn directions on the water. I'm on the bay which means I have to watch out for shallow areas as well as high and low tides. Overall just clunky operation while underway.