Notices

Jacksonville Run

Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And this is what is wrong with people at poker runs today and why accidents happen.

I was first to the card stop, I was first to the bridge, blah blah blah...

Want to impress everyone? Go racing and see if you can beat John Tomlinson, Bob Teague and the professionals. Thats something to brag about.

And the accident that occurred today in Norway during a Poker Run is more evidence that racing has no place in poker runs....period!

http://www5.tranexp.com:2000/Transla...d%2F6595016%2F
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Well said Dave!!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
And this is what is wrong with people at poker runs today and why accidents happen.

I was first to the card stop, I was first to the bridge, blah blah blah...

Want to impress everyone? Go racing and see if you can beat John Tomlinson, Bob Teague and the professionals. Thats something to brag about.
Dave I usually agree with most of your posts but Jacksonville is a very very different venue. I have attended every big poker run in FL (with the sole exception of Emerald Coast/very far!) and this is the safest water (very flat/ no waves and VERY wide open a mile wide in some areas). I don't have a 100 MPH boat and still enjoy the run. I had attended this run 5 years in a row and even brought my kids last year. There are cops/coast guard/firefighters EVERYWHERE on this event. The start is staggered for the fast boats then everyone else. Where these guys are running wide open there is no other boat traffic and they are out there with each other with long straight stretches of open water/ open visibilty. Best yet is there is NO SPEED LIMIT on many of the waterways, no rules being broken.

If this world gets too politically correct it might get boring...... I know your stance on how you do poker runs "up north" but this is a very different venue than the Hudson river shipping channel, etc.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all had fun!! Great poker run!!! Great people!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Registered

Great time and a good turnout even for the weather. Felt like i had a mild concussion from cruising back in the rain. My forehead was killing me. I would do it all over again.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Dave I usually agree with most of your posts but Jacksonville is a very very different venue. I have attended every big poker run in FL (with the sole exception of Emerald Coast/very far!) and this is the safest water (very flat/ no waves and VERY wide open a mile wide in some areas). I don't have a 100 MPH boat and still enjoy the run. I had attended this run 5 years in a row and even brought my kids last year. There are cops/coast guard/firefighters EVERYWHERE on this event. The start is staggered for the fast boats then everyone else. Where these guys are running wide open there is no other boat traffic and they are out there with each other with long straight stretches of open water/ open visibilty. Best yet is there is NO SPEED LIMIT on many of the waterways, no rules being broken.

If this world gets too politically correct it might get boring...... I know your stance on how you do poker runs "up north" but this is a very different venue than the Hudson river shipping channel, etc.

The River is 3 miles wide at the Buckman Bridge .....m
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I go to poker runs just for the fun and commaraderie..That is what a PR is about..for me..racing with every cat side by side to the bridge can be dangerous. I personally could give a rats azz who's boat is the fastest, especially when there are spectators on the side lines..and yes I will agree this is one of the more safer PR's..but still its always a race..look at the BS with DCB at Havasu...just to get out in front..boats got soaked with no concern for others...What do we need a few more deaths like at Texoma to let it sink in...I don't want that to happen to anyone, especially guys that I know and respect on these runs...there's more to life than trying to always be the badest, fastest, boat at the run. Ill get off my soap opera.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Come on...pictures...pictures ...pictures please?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Yes I have to agree that these things are not races. But why do people spend so much money on these boats. The main reason... because people want to go fast. Un like a car or bike fun run you can run these boats all out and that is whats cool about these boats, your not going to go to jail for excesive speed on the water. So when everyone ends up pushing their equitment this is what happens, a competition in a way naturally. Everyone knows that when they get in their boat to do this they are taking a risk. We take a risk everyday when we get in our cars and drive down the road. I can tell you I have a lot of fun going fast in poker runs and running with you all, and safer, then trying to go fast in my car down the freeway.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered

were are the pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.