Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits rolled in Norway? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/210419-outerlimits-rolled-norway.html)

Jassman 06-10-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Bird (Post 2885120)
When you purchase an Outerlimits, it comes with a pre-paid course in Tres Martin Performance Boating School. They insist you take it within 90 days of purchase. In fact when I purchased my boat, they made a big effort to get me hooked up. In fact, to speed the process up, Brad came to me in miami beach, did the course one on one, so it could be done expediantly. The course is a true eye-opener in boating saftety. It explains how all boats get into accidents, as well as going into the specific handling of a stepped hull, and other hull designs. Even with years of performance boating experience, it made a lot of sense to me, and taught me invauluabe safety info. Once taught how to drive my boat, I feel my Outerlimits is as safe as any boat out there. Boats now are built by all manufactures faster than we can drive them, just like cars. When you are on the water, going 80+, 90+, and up, you enter a whole new realm of driving, and safety concerns, and it is up to the driver and to some extent his crew to keep things safe.

I basically did the same thing..except Tres came to the house. I had some concern what was going on in our industry and felt it couldnt hurt to go over all the basics as a seasoned boater..At first I thought some of this stuff was a waste of time..then just two weeks ago I had a 30' Grady White cut out literally right in front of me on plane accelerating right out of a bayou, I came within 15' from his transom..that quick maneuver at speed helped me. too many idiots out there...the course is worth every dollar..whether you new at it..or an old veteran.

BLee 06-10-2009 11:34 AM

Where are all of the Cigarette haters? :gfight:

From my standpoint, it's definitely NOT the boats fault....... but this is the same type of accident that many other brands of boats have had...... no one dissing the designs & build of the OL?

"Oh but they look so cool, and OL gave me a free hat at the last boat show, so I definitely wouldn't want to offend them". Or, "my friend wrecked a Cigarette, but didn't wreck the OL he drove that one time, so the Cigarette was built incorrectly". :rolleyes:

It's even some of the typical complainers that don't know chit about either boat! :bong: :kiss:

That was a BAD ASS OL. I'm sorry to see it torn up, but it's great and AMAZING to hear everyone's still breathing.:flag:

WARPARTY36 06-10-2009 11:38 AM

BLee for President!!!:evilb::drink::coolcowboy:

animalhouse 06-10-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2885199)

From my standpoint, it's definitely NOT the boats fault....... but this is the same type of accident that many other brands of boats have had...... no one dissing the designs & build of the OL?

"Oh but they look so cool, and OL gave me a free hat at the last boat show, so I definitely wouldn't want to offend them". Or, "my friend wrecked a Cigarette, but didn't wreck the OL he drove that one time, so the Cigarette was built incorrectly". :rolleyes:

It's even some of the typical complainers that don't know chit about either boat! :bong: :kiss:

That was a BAD ASS OL. I'm sorry to see it torn up, but it's great and AMAZING to hear everyone's still breathing.:flag:

Well Said. It is easy for people to start bashing something they don't know anything about, but ultimately they lose sight on the fact that there were people involved, and their well being should be the focus of attention.

BADA BING 06-10-2009 11:54 AM

First, hopefully everyone is ok...this sport does not need anymore senseless deaths.

Regarding the construction or outcome of how the OL looked is irrelavant to this accident...100% this was driver error, that is not to say that this driver was not experienced, the fact is mistakes can happen, and when you are travelling 100mph+ and you are focused on another boat because he is also travelling that fast...you the driver are watching him closely to make sure you don't colide, the fact this boat was going so fast, and then to hit a large wake...at the right angle at that speed it is a bad combination.
This is another lesson that if you are going to travel in a boat going that fast, no matter how great or expensive that boat is, you the driver need to be alert to every element that could possibly ruin your day or your life...this is a great sport, and caution = intellegence :)

Ask yourselves, would you be comfortable travelling in a car at 120mph with 5 people in it chasing another car? Passengers should be just as alert and tell the driver when they are not comfortable...I am allot more cosey being nervous and alive, then dead or fighting for my life after a senseless speed run...passengers in my opinion share responsibility too, you have the right to say slow down. High speed leaves no room for any error, the slightest mistake can have deadly or life threatening results, I guess that is why speed is such a thrill. :cool:

Jimbo :cool:

Smarty 06-10-2009 11:58 AM

I knew the Outerlimits fan club would come out once I posted those comments. Again, I like Outerlimits. We cannot make everything perfectly safe. I said I would rather defend the accused, not respresent the plaintiff. If they sell 12 boats per year and have had x number of accidents, you do the math, take off the blinders.

Personal accountability - my friend took me on his fast boat, f*cked up , and now I am hurt for life, what do you think happens next. That is the world we live in; I will try to change it for the better (I have given up my practice of law as a criminal defense attorney due to moral ephiphany). I am not bashing Outerlimits, but the industry as whole, should try to improve, and I think it has. I will help anyone in any way I can, I will even pray for you if ask or need help, or are going through tough times.

Believe me, if you or your loved-one was hurt, injured, or charged with a crime, who would call for advice? A lawyer.

The corvette analogy - it is your choice who you sue as the driver, what about the passenger?

I have 718 posts since the inception of OSO (my join date is October 2000, but I was on OSO when it was a free for all), I try to be postitive, and if you do the math here I do not feel compelled to post about all subjects at a whim, this was on my mind. I see pleasure boating changing. The time is coming when we will be legislated with speeds zones, because some lawmaker will see a catastrophic accident as his way to pass a bill and gain noteriety for re-election. I do not want to see a law like this and I will advocate against such a bill. But in order to advocate, the statistics will need to be the performance boating industries favor, and the measures of safety. Safe baoting schools I think are a great place to begin.

I do know a little about boats, not as much as Tx2, but a little.

I am done with this subject, sorry if I offended anyone. Happy & safe boating to all.

BADA BING 06-10-2009 12:13 PM

The reality is, this is the world we live in...in situations like these when something happens, it brings out the wolves and everyone gets sued...don't surprised if the seatbelt manufacturer gets sued, and I know some layer would probably think to sue Quicksilver if that was the bathing suit that was being worn by the plaintif he is representing...I am sure they can come with some way of saying that his bathing suit was too baggy and caused him to be caught in the boat when it snagged the grab rail :bsflag: Sounds far fetched, but I would not be surprised. This is our society, no matter who you are or what product you represent, this is the reality.

Jimbo :cool:

TexomaPowerboater 06-10-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2885199)

Big difference in a boat that rolls at 130+ and a boat that can't turn at 45mph.

StephenA 06-10-2009 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2885227)
Big difference in a boat that rolls at 130+ and a boat that can't turn at 45mph.

So what are you saying?

PatriYacht 06-10-2009 01:10 PM

Drivers of these boats have a tremendous responsability to their passengers. If you are alone no one really cares if you kill yourself. But to take a boatload of friends out, you are giving them the assurence that you will bring them back uninjured. If something goes wrong, you will get your a** sued off and that's not all. How about a lifetime of guilt about a friend or loved one you accidentally killed. I take passengers on poker runs all the time but I always try to keep in mind the danger involved. Please be caeful everyone, this is supposed to be fun.