Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Outerlimits rolled in Norway? >

Outerlimits rolled in Norway?

Notices

Outerlimits rolled in Norway?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Also stated in the article that the water was very cold. in a situation like that, cold water is actually better.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I want to know more about this accident;

1. Why did the top of the boat delaminate? Design defect? Manufacturing defect? This is not an acceptable answer - it is an epoxy boat (or a vinylester resin boat) that hit a wave at 130mph+ and rolled. Design should be made for this type of occurrence, it is not the first roll with an Outerlimits boat.

2. This is not a negative on Outerlimits, I wish I could own one; Skater has had boat-owner operation deaths too, but I think Skater builds the safest and best catamaran in the market place today. I know what a Products Liabiltiy attorney would say, and it isn't pretty, and I am not getting into a legal debate on product design (is there a more feasible safe design?), and assumption of risk.

2. Was the driver trained to operate an boat of this size, power, and speed before purchase? After purchase? Other than writing the big check, what are the qualifications for the purchaser/operator? Safe boating course? Performance boating school? How much seat time prior to the accident? Ect.

These are the questions that will be asked of any manufacturer in the near future, if not right now, that will kill offshore performance boating as we know it due to personal injury lawyers, product liability lawyers --- due to death and injury when operating high-performance boats.

I am a lawyer who will NOT take a personal injury case, but I can clearly see that since boat speeds have increased, the reported cases seem to be appearing more rapidly.

I like boating, I like racing people on the weekend, and I do not want that right to do so taken away by legislation or the courts, due to tragedy(s) like this.

Opinions?

I do not want to see or hear of anyone injured or killed boating, my prayers for those involved.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope all involved pull though...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
I want to know more about this accident;

1. Why did the top of the boat delaminate? Design defect? Manufacturing defect? This is not an acceptable answer - it is an epoxy boat (or a vinylester resin boat) that hit a wave at 130mph+ and rolled. Design should be made for this type of occurrence, it is not the first roll with an Outerlimits boat.

2. This is not a negative on Outerlimits, I wish I could own one; Skater has had boat-owner operation deaths too, but I think Skater builds the safest and best catamaran in the market place today. I know what a Products Liabiltiy attorney would say, and it isn't pretty, and I am not getting into a legal debate on product design (is there a more feasible safe design?), and assumption of risk.

2. Was the driver trained to operate an boat of this size, power, and speed before purchase? After purchase? Other than writing the big check, what are the qualifications for the purchaser/operator? Safe boating course? Performance boating school? How much seat time prior to the accident? Ect.

These are the questions that will be asked of any manufacturer in the near future, if not right now, that will kill offshore performance boating as we know it due to personal injury lawyers, product liability lawyers --- due to death and injury when operating high-performance boats.

I am a lawyer who will NOT take a personal injury case, but I can clearly see that since boat speeds have increased, the reported cases seem to be appearing more rapidly.

I like boating, I like racing people on the weekend, and I do not want that right to do so taken away by legislation or the courts, due to tragedy(s) like this.

Opinions?

I do not want to see or hear of anyone injured or killed boating, my prayers for those involved.
Been there, done that

Boat flipped, people died, Lawyers sued anyone they could think of

Boat was an OL and was in remarkably good condition after the accident
Back end busted up but had now been rebuilt I am told

Did not matter what happened or how
Lawyer’s descended on us and spent 2 years trying to find a way suck everyone dry

Worse, the litigation ended the event and took away the largest single outside income producer for Make a Wish Of Michigan

First phone call from an attorney on the accident was just a few hours after it happened. The feeding frenzy came with calls from attorneys all over the country trying to get in on the action

Driver and Throttle man were sued by the families for many many millions

Driver and throttle man sued my partner and I for not keeping them from being sued

Waivers were signed and the boat was built well. It doesn’t matter, a legal action is certain to happen if an accident occurs

The stupid questions I was asked in deposition is proof that no lawyer has a clue except how to drain money

One of the questions I was asked is "how fast are the boats in your logo going"
I was asked “what made me an expert in offshore boats” and after I explained to them how many offshore boats I owned and that I had put on many Poker Runs and Boat races. It made me wonder what qualified them (lawyers) to sit in judgment of anyone since they were totally clueless on offshore boating evidenced by the multitude of stupid statements and questions

The landscape for offshore HAS changed , we need more owners using more common sense when it comes to safety and boat ownership, and we need less attorneys walking this earth looking for the next payday on the backs of those who have unfortunate ACCIDENTS (not on purposes)
Very soon all the insurance companies are going to take the position that if you are in an organized event your insurance is void (used to be only pertaining to racing) many insurers are already exempting “Poker Runs”. Two things have ALREADY changed this sport forever Accidents and Litigation. The good news is that many boat manufacturers have worked hard to elevate safety and so have the event promoters but sometimes accidents are just that, AN ACCIDENT!

We need to learn from every accident but the one thing we don’t need to learn is how much money and litigation it takes to ruin a sport. We already know the answers to this

I have written much on this subject. Everytime an accident happens the sport gets safer in my opinion (we learn and make changes) there is still much more we can do, but lawsuits dont bring people back, it just lines lawyers pockets and makes familiys rich on the death of there loved ones (how demeaning)

Last edited by boatme; 06-09-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Been there, done that

Boat flipped, people died, Lawyers sued anyone they could think of

Boat was an OL and was in remarkably good condition after the accident
Back end busted up but had now been rebuilt I am told

Did not matter what happened or how
Lawyer’s descended on us and spent 2 years trying to find a way suck everyone dry

Worse, the litigation ended the event and took away the largest single outside income producer for Make a Wish Of Michigan

First phone call from an attorney on the accident was just a few hours after it happened. The feeding frenzy came with calls from attorneys all over the country trying to get in on the action

Driver and Throttle man were sued by the families for many many millions

Driver and throttle man sued my partner and I for not keeping them from being sued

Waivers were signed and the boat was built well. It doesn’t matter, a legal action is certain to happen if an accident occurs

The stupid questions I was asked in deposition is proof that no lawyer has a clue except how to drain money

One of the questions I was asked is "how fast are the boats in your logo going"
I was asked “what made me an expert in offshore boats” and after I explained to them how many offshore boats I owned and that I had put on many Poker Runs and Boat races. It made me wonder what qualified them (lawyers) to sit in judgment of anyone since they were totally clueless on offshore boating evidenced by the multitude of stupid statements and questions

The landscape for offshore HAS changed , we need more owners using more common sense when it comes to safety and boat ownership, and we need less attorneys walking this earth looking for the next payday on the backs of those who have unfortunate ACCIDENTS (not on purposes)
Very soon all the insurance companies are going to take the position that if you are in an organized event your insurance is void (used to be only pertaining to racing) many insurers are already exempting “Poker Runs”. Two things have ALREADY changed this sport forever Accidents and Litigation. The good news is that many boat manufacturers have worked hard to elevate safety and so have the event promoters but sometimes accidents are just that, AN ACCIDENT!

We need to learn from every accident but the one thing we don’t need to learn is how much money and litigation it takes to ruin a sport. We already know the answers to this

I have written much on this subject. Everytime an accident happens the sport gets safer in my opinion (we learn and make changes) there is still much more we can do, but lawsuits dont bring people back, it just lines lawyers pockets and makes familiys rich on the death of there loved ones (how demeaning)
Your experience sums it up. My real concern is the noteriety when an accident happens, it now puts the whole performance boating community on front page, and on full blast. Yes, accidents happen. PI attorneys have their place, but this thread is not the forum for that discussion. The key question will always be, is there a more feasiblely safer design? And if a manufacturer knows that there has been accidents and deaths and does not remedy the problem, here comes the lawyers, and the lawsuits. That is the way it is.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Registered

Even when the Manufacturers make improvements (Which they all have) To use your words "here comes the lawyers, and the lawsuits"

My partner in our event, owns a performance boat insurance company He will tell you that the insurance companies are fully aware and keep an eye on all these web sites

I think everyone in the industry is fully aware. We as promoters have had safety summits, and the manufacturers are always working for a better safer product

But ridicules lawsuits are what has taken the sport down. the insurance companies know if you get a nick on your boat at an event someone is going to want to sue

Thus, at the end of the road in all of this, It can be argued that everyone is protecting themselves from the legal system. No offence to you, but it is quite honestly, the lawyers that are slowly ending this sport for many people.

Smarty, I am happy to discuss it with you at any time. It would be nice to have a lawyer on the side of promoting the sport not tearing it apart.

Marc
Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Sad.... This guy was real excited about his new boat.... Of course the important thing is that everyones ok BUT.... That Just SUCKS!!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/o...sl41-info.html
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally Posted by dreamer

The two racers, who had been trapped by their seatbelts in the upturned boat, were freed by Solberg, his co-driver and others who arrived on the scene soon after
and there you have it.

I'll take the ejection seat.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Brandon I am with you

I have been in an open cat with seat belts and I am here to tell you I would be afraid to have an accident while I was strapped into an open boat No belts for me in an open cat

Conversely when in a canopied boat I would not ride it unless I was strapped into my seat I don’t want to be a ping Pong Ball bouncing inside
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

I'll take my 5 point harness please. Having been there, done that, I still wouldn't want to do it again unless I was strapped in. I have zero interest in getting in a boat that goes over 100 without being strapped in...... with or without a canopy.

It can be argued either way ... we know people who have been killed strapped in and we know people who have been killed getting tossed. I think bottom line is you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.