Outerlimits rolled in Norway? >

Outerlimits rolled in Norway?

Notices

Outerlimits rolled in Norway?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Can someone explain what can happen to a boat to make it get into the position that is show in the first photo in post 7? GEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
According to post 54 in this thread from the Outerlimits forum:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/o...41-info-6.html

the Outerlimits hit a wave from a 95 ft. Princess yacht and they didn't see the wave so I guess they did not prepare the speed and angle for that wave.

Is it not likely that a big wave can cause that ?

Last edited by Phazar454Mag; 06-10-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
So your saying the bussel should've been designed for a crash? How do boat builders test these, should they put test dummies in there and let them flip the boats? Have you seen some of the pictures from other boat crashes? That boat looks in VERY good condition considering the amount of force it took.

GM, Ford, Porsche..... all crash test cars, and guess what, doors still dent, frames bend, cars explode, etc and people still get injured and die in accidents.

This is certainly a tragedy and really wish the best for everyone. The fact that people are alive after crashing at 130mph should say more about the boat, then less. Most simply don't make it from such crashes.

And the one thing I can tell you, in my opinion, Outerlimits builds the strongest performance boat around. Almost all carbon kevlar lay ups. Decks are so strong, you can jump up and down without even seeing a 1/16" of flex. In P1 racing, the OL is typically the only one that doesn't show signs of stress cracks and delamination.
Hi Dustin,
How's it going? I'm Rob we met in P1 last month.

I agree with you.
Especially on the decks of the outerlimits.
They are ROCK SOLID!!!
I was with the team and helped them in Malta and I went on the boat a couple of times. And for everybodies info. I'm not a light guy (not a bowser), the deck felt as solid as ever end didn't flex or make any movement at all.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

This is a pleasure boat failure, not a raceboat. Racer's assume a greater risk than a pleasure when operating their boat. I would want my race boat (if I had one to be well built as you indicate and have first hand observational experience).

Now to give fair balance, my gut feeling is Outerlimits exceeds industry standards when constructing their boats, with respect to new technology and materials.

However, Outerlimits boats are light and fast, what was compromised for safety? I know all the Outerlimits fans and cheerleading section are hating me for saying this, but stand behind your product and responsible for the personal-injuy damage that is caused when it fails. That is what is required. Anything less will cost money when people are injured, I do not make the rules of law, but that is the way it is.

And again, I would love to own an Outerlimits GTX. And I think they build a helluva boat, but the manufacturers in the industry can and should do better for the consumer, if they have the ability to so, and if it is possible. You and I have seat experience (you now with an 180 mph boat), but what about Mr. Big Check Writer who comes in with his $1.5 million dollar check and wants to buy a 120 mph+ (or faster) boat with very little performance boat experience or seat time? Do you take the order (sale)? I say sell they boat, because I am sales oriented, but their is a legal and moral obligation.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot here, or get people to wound up, but my concerns are probably the same as most average boaters. I just want to go out and have a peaceful, and safe day of boating on the weekends.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-10-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag

the Outerlimits hit a wave from a 95 ft. Princess yacht and they didn't see the wave so I guess they did not prepare the speed and angle for that wave.

When I think of a large boat wake that could really raise hell with a powerboat....the Staten Island ferry always comes to mind. Maybe it's the pics available or not available, but I don't see a big boat wake. Then again, maybe at those speeds you don't need much to upset the applecart.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
This is a pleasure boat failure, not a raceboat. Racer's assume a greater risk than a pleasure when operating their boat. I would want my race boat (if I had one to be well built as you indicate and have first hand observational experience).

Now to give fair balance, my gut feeling is Outerlimits exceeds industry standards when constructing their boats, with respect to new technology and materials.

However, Outerlimits boats are light and fast, what was compromised for safety? I know all the Outerlimits fans and cheerleading section are hating me for saying this, but stand behind your product and responsible for the personal-injuy damage that is caused when it fails. That is what is required. Anything less will cost money when people are injured, I do not make the rules of law, but that is the way it is.

And again, I would love to own an Outerlimits GTX. And I think they build a helluva boat, but the manufacturers in the industry can and should do better for the consumer, if they have the ability to so, and if it is possible. You and I have seat experience (you now with an 180 mph boat), but what about Mr. Big Check Writer who comes in with his $1.5 million dollar check and wants to buy a 120 mph+ (or faster) boat with very little performance boat experience or seat time? Do you take the order (sale)? I say sell they boat, because I am sales oriented, but their is a legal and moral obligation.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot here, or get people to wound up, but my concerns are probably the same as most average boaters. I just want to go out and have a peaceful, and safe day of boating on the weekends.
I think that's pretty unreasonable. Racer's make mistakes too. One only become's an "expert" boat driver after making all the mistakes and learning from them. Doesn't matter how good they build a boat or car or a TANK. Accidents like this will always happen.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Let me ask you something, if i take my new Vette out and wreck it at 150 plus is GM liable? It's their obligation to insure i walk away un harmed at those speeds right? I mean the car was designed to go that fast so i should be ok huh? It cant possibly be my fault.

What ever happened to personal responsibility and accountability? all you've talked about is how its someone else's fault.

I hope every one ends up ok and am sorry to hear about this accident. I just hate to hear of these things.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-10-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

Smarty,

That is one of the great things about Outerlimits...The pleasure boat is the RACE boat. The Lucas Oil P1 boat (Dustin can verify) was a pleasure boat on the line that they pulled and took racing, won the World Championships in and then sent to P1. So they literally RACE WHAT THEY SELL. If you jump on the deck of my SV40 it will hurt you, zero flex!

Looking at that photo showed me a lot..He must have never seen that wave coming!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag

this is very sad and i hope all are ok, but this statement is making me comment.

if you didnt see the wave from a 95 foot boat dont you think you should have atleast seen a 95 foot boat and slowed down a bit just in case??

call me crazy, but if i look up and see the queen mary off to one side or the other, im slowing down. unless of couse the driver is new to boating which again i have no clue, but ive been with a few guys new to boating on smaller slower boats and they seem to have tunnle vision, they dont pay 100% attention and its going to bite them.
i learned not to have tunnle vision from 30 years on a boat and more so 15 years on a motor cycle in the city.
again, im not tring to crap on anyone and im not up to date on the owner/driver, im just stating what i feel on what i have red
Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Registered

The wave is still rolling long after the boat has passed...we don't know if the pokerrun drivers ever saw the Princess.

I just really hope they all recover 100%!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by noyzee
this is very sad and i hope all are ok, but this statement is making me comment.

if you didnt see the wave from a 95 foot boat dont you think you should have atleast seen a 95 foot boat and slowed down a bit just in case??

call me crazy, but if i look up and see the queen mary off to one side or the other, im slowing down. unless of couse the driver is new to boating which again i have no clue, but ive been with a few guys new to boating on smaller slower boats and they seem to have tunnle vision, they dont pay 100% attention and its going to bite them.
i learned not to have tunnle vision from 30 years on a boat and more so 15 years on a motor cycle in the city.
again, im not tring to crap on anyone and im not up to date on the owner/driver, im just stating what i feel on what i have red
my thoughts exactly. We test our race boat in the St Clair river that has a lot of freighter and large cruiser traffic. I am always on the lookout for wakes and cross chop. If i see ANY traffic we proceed with caution. To run these speeds you need to be hyper aware of your surroundings.

again, hope all come out ok. Its tough to hear about this stuff
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.