If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Redlands Ca
    Uncle toys .. check your P.M.

Dallas, Tx, USA
    This is somewhat along the same subject. I am interested in knowing the "life" of gas these days. I have read in a previous thread that Av gas has a longer octane life than what you get from the normal gas stations, where I get mine (normally 87 octane). I don't use the hi-po fuel but am wondering how long I can get away with pump gas in my boat without having to worry about the octane level getting weak. I use the Sta-bil additive most all the time.

AV gas

You must be careful with AV Gas, for a few reasons.

If you have ever spilt any you will notice that it evaporates rather quickly----reg fuel does not do this (as quickly). AV is not rated the same way as street fuel, its research octane. It does not factor in motor octane---the one that counts.
    Consider that AV fuel was designed for a low rpm (1000 foot per minute piston speed), air cooled engine.
    AV fuel is also know to run dry, their is also a chemical reason for this, having a fowled spark flug in the air would not be your favorite thing to happen, so AV has a chemical that disperses oil (including Marvel Mystery). All oil (even a lot of it)will be rendered ineffective by this chemical. It will be hard on rings and valve guides.

In short if your motor needs race gas, buy race gas.

I don't engine builder recommends it, I know alot of people that use it without problems, and when I was running outboards all the Merc techs recommended it. just my .02

Charter Member#1545 Charter Member
    My Boats:
    Grand Junction, Co.
    Newer engines have hardened seats in the heads and will not have a problem with Av gas.

I used to use AV gas in my race car, it is a little dry, but as long as the motor is in good shape this is great stuff....

Hey Gary,

What was that about blowing-up a DRIVE? Av Gas umm.

That B-Max must be looking good.

Aviation fuel is around 108 Octane, they call it 100LL because that is considered a bare min. It does burn very dry so a lubricant won't hurt. My engine builder recommends it (he builds Pro stock NHRA drag motors), although not for this application, and I personally know individuals with 1000 SC Mercs that burn it all the time. Never heard of any problems. 100LL smells just like racing fuel.

I have been runing av gas for over five years in my boats.....I have never had a problem. Hell I run it in my aqua scooter and all the quads,the best thing about it it does not go bad after a month or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12