If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redlands Ca

Av gas and Whipple.

Who has experience running this fuel. Do you do anything diffrent from normal when using it? I am thinking of uping the boost and running a mixture of 91 and av gas at a 50-50 ratio. Any tuning changes or suggestions? The gas we are getting in Havasu on the Cali side sucks.

My Boats:
    Continental,United States
    Try tracking down some Cam 2 racing fuel at a local fuel distributor. I mix in 5 gallons with 10-12 gallons of premium fuel and I am well satisfied.

My Boats:
    2000 Nordic 28 Heat
    SLC, Utah

I have a whippled 502 and have a couple different pulleys, when I run the smaller pulley at sea level I make 7-8 lbs boost and being as it get so fricken hot at Havasu I run the 100 octane stuff you can get at the gas stations (76 & super fuel) down there just as a preventative measure against detonation. No upgrades are needed. As far as the actuall avgas you can get at the airport, I think it is 116 octane - you can run that too but it will cost you bucks. My buddy with whipples on his 6.2's has run as much as 12-14 lbs boost and used that gas without problem. I beleive you can buy it right at the havasu airport.

Uncle Toys
    Garry - Where on the Cali side are you? I am at Havasu Landing.

My Boats:
    '97 Scarb Thunder, '06 Formula 330ss for sale
    Tulsa, OK, Grand, Beaver, LOTO

Watch the actual octane rating

When buying av gas watch the rating they have gas in the 90's up to the teens as mentioned- then do the math when you are mixing it up. Second best smell in the world

Flemington, N.J. U.S.A
    I used to use AV gas in a few street rods and race cars . I have herd a lot of different stories about good or bad . I still don't know for sure . I was using 100LL fuel . They wouldn't let me fill up at the pump .I had to put it in cans ! THe guy asked me why I used it . When I told him he said it was no good for that ! He said it is rated by aviation standards for octane ,not automotive stadards . He says 100 octane av gas is not the same as 100 octane race gas .

Now I have herd of plenty of race guys using it . And lots of engine builders using it too.

I don't know what to think about it !

Good luck ,and let me know if you find out for sure !

Charter Member#1545 Charter Member
    My Boats:
    Grand Junction, Co.
    Garry, I use Av fuel in my Whippled HP500EFI. I run the "small" pulley and it definitely BOOSTS the performance. Dustin is the one to talk to on this subject. I contacted him and he was very helpful and informative. I have had no problems (other than exploding 4 drives) and the gains are "IMPRESSIVE".

My Boats:
    24 Hallett, 40 Hallett

av gas

I ran av gas for years in both my ski race boats and my hi performance pleasure boat. I've asked for special inspections during rebuilds to see if any unusual damage was being done. Absolutely no problem. However, I ALWAYS added Marvel Mystery Oil to lube the guides.
    Also, buy direct from the airports or tank farms. I never trusted the so called AV gas on the river.
    When 91 on the street is near $2.00, AV gas is sometimes cheaper!
    Finally, its the cheapest insurance you can buy for a high dollar engine(s).

My Boats:
    2015 MTI 48

Av gas

I used to run our local little airprot and fly a lot, and I used avgas in my hotrods. It is a very "dry" fuel, meaning to be on the safe side, a small amount of lubricant should be used with the fuel. I think this is more particularly true when dealing with old motors that used leaded fuel. Aircraft use engines that are basically multi cylinder air cooled Harley motors (old tech) and they get along fine, but are rebuilt every 1500 hours or less on average. I doubt todays engines would have any trouble with avgas, but it is true regarding the actual octane rating. I'm not sure of the method of arriving at the true octane, but it is higher than most any unleaded you can buy at the pumps.

Buy from the 76 station off the 95, it is a little more expensive than Superfuels but I have heard bad things about Superfuels quality. It was $2.25 at the 76 and $ 2.19 at Superfuels last time I was out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast