Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas >

Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas

Notices

Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas

Old 03-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas

Wife and I are planning new home on an uphill view lot. Plans call for a 40' garage bay for the boat of course. Problem is the driveway has to cut in sidehill because of the pitch then makes about a 65-70 degree turn to get into the garage. Boat on the trailer measures 34' and truck is a 2500 Dodge - I just can't see making the turn and getting into the garage. I'm sure I can get the boat turned and pointed into the garage but the truck won't make it without going over the edge. Any bright idea's. I've thought of getting an ATV and havin a hitch put on but I'm not sure if that would work with the tounge weight. Anyboady tried that. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Front Hitch

I have heard of people getting a front hitch installed on their vehicles. This way the steering and push are at the same point - kind of like a forklift.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

Have someone or yourself put a reciever on the front of your truck. ( weld or bolt to the frame . I put mine to the frame and cut a hole behind my licence plate. I then bought a flip down or up licence plate frame and you cant even tell it is there) Use the insert from the back for the front and just drive your rig up in the garage. But remember if you turn one way the boat is going to go the other
Rick
Old 03-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several kits on the market to put a hitch on the front.
Reese makes one. I know several people that have done it and they say it' makes backing the trailer in real easy.
I have an F-250 LD and I can get one for about $99.00.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A small utility tractor or a big lawn tractor may work. If your boat is that long it is atleast a double axle trailer, and they require more power and weight to turn than most ATV's have. If you are sold on the ATV, consider putting sand or pea gravel on the drive where the trailer axles have to turn to make the turn easier.

Sounds like a nice site to have a home, just not to have a boat.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:20 AM
Registered

I agreee with Chart.

I have a Large garden tractor, John Deere 455 & my boat has 800 lbs tongue weight. With tractor & can make tight 90 degree turn even with triple axles. With tractor I can get boat in corner of toybox with no problem. When I ordered tractor I got it with 3 point hitch & I made a adapter for it. All I got to do is back under tongue, hit lever & front of boat raises up. If tractor is at wrong angle, I drop trailer swing tractor around to new angle & pick up again.

If I used a ATV it would be a ***** because sometime I have to change angle of tractor to trailer a number of times.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Registered

Thumbs up 2WD low, older Jeep with front hitch

The front hitch is definatley a great start.

I suspect the ATV's and garden tractors won't pan out- not enough weight for traction, especially if there are hills involved and scrub of turning a multi axle trailer.

If your dodge has 4WD you can mod the front axle disconnect with a vacuum switch so you can get 2wd (Pavement/drivetrain friendly) low range and it's easier to take your time and easier on the clutch or converter.

a couple people spotting the trailer is also immensely helpful- use FM radios if you have them, especially if the spotter needs to be in your blind spot.

If you are still getting frustrated, pickup and older CJ or wrangler, use the same 2WD low trick (Easier with a CJ- just unlock the front hubs) and put a front hitch on that- it will be hard to find anything that works much better. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have seen a electric trailer mover that hooks up to a hitch it is like a hand cart but with a motor and battery to move the trailer. see : http://www.powercaster.com
Old 03-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ok,Ok problem solved. Give me the damn boat. It is a straight shot into my garage.

Just trying to help out a fellow boater
Old 03-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Default Electrics???

I suspect those electric deals are great for a couple sea-doos or maybe even a bass boat- on flat pavement- but a 34' boat trailer combo?? Hills involved?

koko- You likely allready thought of this but make sure you've got at least a double wide door to slip the boat through and ample height- the standard 7' high doors won't let most larger boats in.

Last edited by Cattitude; 03-27-2002 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Manuvering boat and trailer in tight driveway - need ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.