Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Newbie here with newbie question >

Newbie here with newbie question

Notices

Newbie here with newbie question

Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing I like is having somewhere to mount a a decent size chartplotter. It seems most go-fasts only have room for a little 5 inch plotter, maybe a 7 inch at most Im accustomed to my 10" inch screen I have now. I saw a 10" (maybe a 12"? ) mounted nicely on a 382 Formula FasTech. it was mounted in one of those white angular add-on boxes that made it look built-in. it was right at the base of the center of the windshield. The captain had a remote for it velcro'd to the helm. Really slick set-up. It might have been a Garmin 4210 or 4212. Anyway, having room for electronic is nice.

Another thing on this same boat was a bimini that folded back flat for underway, but could easily pop-up for shade when anchored or docked. On most go-fasts, I don't see any biminis. Obviously, they can't be up when you're at 70+ mph, but you dont even see ones that can be folded up and down for shade when stopped. I have seen those tempory ones made by "Anchor-Shade", but they are not as slick as the real built-in ones. I guess this is something that could be added later to any boat.

Got to run. Wife and I are headed to stay overnight in Kent Narrows, MD at the Holiday Inn Express . If we only had A?C on the boat! ..... Might see a few go-fasts at red Eyes tonight, ...then again tomorrow night at Nauti Goose. I'll take the laptop, and might be able to check in once or twice.

Thanks all again for the replies.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

g-force...a name that has some history around these parts...for those of us that have been here long enough to remember...RIP.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Registered

<<....."g-force...a name that has some history around these parts...for those of us that have been here long enough to remember...RIP."......>>>

I was not aware of the past history of the "G_Force" name. I take it this was the name of a former member who passed away? If it's more appropriate to "retire" this name, I'm totally cool with changing my OSO user name to something else. No biggie. I have no particular attachment to the name. Is there a way to change user names?

Last edited by G_Force; 06-14-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will be fine G. It was a member who passed away a few years ago that a lot of the old guys like myself knew and had met. You just see the same name and you remember him. In a way it is actually a good thing.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome, be sure to look at the classified section on the site it has a lot of great used boats. Be sure to ask the guys at the poker runs how the boats do on gas and if they are good for fishing. They love that.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Registered

<<....."Be sure to ask the guys at the poker runs how the boats do on gas and if they are good for fishing. They love that. ".....>>

Haha! You can ba assured I didn't ask crap like that. Heck, I get asked that stuff all the time about my cuddy/cruiser. My standard answer is that the gas is one of the cheapest parts of boating, and if you're worried about that, don't bother getting the boat. For fishing, I tell them that fish blood doesn't go well with upholstry.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I know this is out of your range but it has everything you need. It's been there awhile, they might take less.
the cabins are a big tight on fountains but this is still alot of boat with low hours.
http://www.teamshogren.com/pre-owned...ecutioner.html
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Registered

I was looking for the same type of boat as yourself, but I just can't keep my gaze away from those damn sexy Gladiators.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Nice Fountain Wildman.

At the poker run, we met some great people, including Mark and Jim from South Florida, and Tom who is local to the Chesapeake. They were all on Tom's 35 Cig Cafe Racer. . Talked to them a bit on Friday evening at Red Eyes. Jim, who is a pro mechanic, was quite informative, and gave good advice for me..the newbie. .Lots of good stuff, including to stick with stock factory stuff for fewer problems. Sounds like good advice to gove a newbie like me.

On Saturday at the Nauti Goose, we met Don and Laura, who had a nice 38 Sonic..."Good Vibrations". Might have been an '02 or '03? Don told us about his engine replacement on one of his 500 EFIs, and some of the performance info. . Nice looking boat.

Also on Saturday, we talked with Steve, wbo is the owner of a 2006 Donzi 38ZR named "Freedom" He said it had the 525's, and the Sportmaster drives. We started talking about the Sportmaster drives versus regular drives, and Steve was explaining why the sportmaster were better for that boat, then it started raining, and we headed for cover. Never got to finish that conversation. I'm not sure I understood why the sportmasters were better. Does anyone have input on this?

All great people, and the wife and I really enjoyed talking with those of you who were there. All great looking boats, too.

Last edited by G_Force; 06-14-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

G_Force - glad to hear you had a good experience.

I'm sure you fell in love with that Cafe Racer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.