Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nice new yacht! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/210862-nice-new-yacht.html)

thisistank 06-14-2009 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a better story with more info.....

It seems motor yacht ECLIPSE - the largest yacht in the world - will be well-prepared to thwart off the attacks of would-be ship and yacht seizure by Somali pirates. Roman Abramovich, the owner of the soon-to-be-launched Blohm + Voss luxury yacht ECLIPSE has come up with a fantastic solution for keeping ship seizure pirates, and pretty much everyone else, at bay - a missile detection system.

Somali pirates yacht seizures continue to pose a real threat to luxury yacht charter and commercial shipping. Ambrovich, a well-known luxury superyacht patron is building his latest and largest mega yacht with a wide array of security systems and counter-terrorism measures.

Sources report the gigayacht will have special radar installed, designed specifically to warn of incoming rockets. There will also be armored protection around the wheelhouse and the billionaire owner’s master suite – along with bulletproof windows throughout.

If pirates do, in fact, breach the security cordon and climb onboard the superyacht, the Russian oligarch, 41, and several guests can escape through secret corridors to a submarine that is launchable underwater and can dive away to 160ft in depth. Move over, James Bond!

Underwater cameras with heat-and-motion sensors will detect intruders. The yacht is being fitted with the latest antibugging equipment and there are supposedly even flash sensors installed to warn of paparazzi photographers taking snaps through the windows.

In addition to its anti-missile defense system, the yacht will be defended by a crew of 70 fully-armed former SAS and Special Boat Service commandos, ready to take on any modern-day pirates or terrorists.

The onboard accommodations will feature six guest suites, five VIP suites and the aforementioned 5,000 square foot owner’s cabin. All come with two en suite bathrooms and balconies. The owner’s cabin features a grand piano and a private garden area on the foredeck, spanning decks 4 and 5.

Imagine a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter on a vessel with a mini theatre cinema, an exhibition space, three dining rooms, an aquarium, a disco, six hot tubs, a indoor/outdoor swimming pool, a gym with sauna and steam room, and a mini spa.

The yacht also boasts a wine cellar, humidor, two kitchens, and a mini hospital.

For watersport enthusiasts, there will be four pleasure craft, a 50ft tender to ferry guests to and from shore, 20 jet skis and of course, the 12-seat private submarine.

Currently under construction in Hamburg, Germany at the fabled Blohm + Voss shipyards, her owner is expected to take delivery next summer. Insiders put the cost of the world’s largest giga yacht at + £200m ($470m). The shipyard that produced the infamous naval vessel Bismarck in World War II is now a world leader in megayacht construction. Famous Blohm + Voss builds include Savarona, Enigma, and Lady Moura.

When completed, she will be the largest private yacht in the world and is rumored to be between 508 feet (155 m) to 525 feet (160 m) in overall length.

Currently, four out of the top five luxury private yachts are owned by Middle East royalty: DUBAI (525ft), ABDUL AZIZ (482ft), EL HORRIYA (478ft), and AL SALAMAH (459ft).

Larry Ellison, the founder of software giant Oracle, completes the top five with RISING SUN, a 455 foot yacht.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-15-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 2888087)
Ha! I'd take the headache....Its all relative. When youre one of the richest people in the world (billionaire), having what we percieve to be high over head is just status quo for him. And in regards to shallow ports. Anywhere the cruise ships go, he can get permission to dock there. Or the other alternative is to anchor outside and run the 45' dingy or helicopter in:eek:

Yeah I understand part about being all relative but the one thing money can't buy is TIME and boat is going to use up a lot of it between the operational costs and keeping track of them, crew staffing, logistics of where in the world it is.....

On a small scale if a month goes by and I don't use my boat I get aggravated that I paid for something I didn't use. This guy has multiple boats and if he really works for his money it will bother him to pay for something he didn't get a lot of use out of. Now all bets are off if this guy is stealing the wealth of the people by taking over government run businesses, if that is the case he could care less, it isn't his money anyway!

Wahoo ATV 06-15-2009 10:19 AM

The security systems are not just for him. I imagine that he is entertaining some of the most influential people in the world.

glassdave 06-15-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2888027)
He doesn't own that boat.....the boat owns him!

That thing is definitely more hassle than it ever could be worth. Once I read about the bulletproof glass/ missile defense system any fantasies of parties/fun/strippers etc were over. That boat can't even cruise many places in FL/Bahamas with that kind of draft requirements.

I suspect Clay will have more action aboard his 31 this summer than this guy will have the whole time he owns that boat!

yea . . . somehow i dont think its him scraping bottom paint off that thing in the spring . . . :D

doubt he has trouble gett'in strippers on board either . . .

glassdave 06-15-2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 2887609)
He does however need a new watch...The casio/seiko/POS he's wearing needs a serious upgrading.

I'm sure it keeps just as good a time as a Patek :D

offshoredrillin 06-15-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2888316)
Yeah I understand part about being all relative but the one thing money can't buy is TIME and boat is going to use up a lot of it between the operational costs and keeping track of them, crew staffing, logistics of where in the world it is.....

On a small scale if a month goes by and I don't use my boat I get aggravated that I paid for something I didn't use. This guy has multiple boats and if he really works for his money it will bother him to pay for something he didn't get a lot of use out of. Now all bets are off if this guy is stealing the wealth of the people by taking over government run businesses, if that is the case he could care less, it isn't his money anyway!

it doesnt say cigarette on the side of it, why you hating on it? :evilb:

waterboy222 06-15-2009 04:23 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_A...and_wrongdoing

Jupiter Sunsation 06-15-2009 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2888662)
it doesnt say cigarette on the side of it, why you hating on it? :evilb:

Where have you been?......It is getting dull around here without all your expertise! :drink:

Jigsaw89 06-16-2009 06:41 PM

He has good taste in cars...
"In 2004 Abramovich bought two Maybach 62 limousines. He had these customized to be bomb proof and have bullet-proof glass. They were reported to have cost him £1 million. Abramovich also owns a Ferrari FXX, a $2.2 million dollar race-only car, of which only 30 were built. He also owns a Bugatti Veyron (blue on black), Maserati MC12 Corsa, Ferrari 360 and a modified Porsche Carrera GT."