thoughts on fountain fever 29 >

thoughts on fountain fever 29

Notices

thoughts on fountain fever 29

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roush97
Please don't take this the wrong way but which boat would you recommend then? I'm new to offshore boating (we always had smaller sea rays between 18-22) and have starting to do some research on performance boats in the 27-32 foot range.
Honestly, if you are looking to buy something in that size range and are getting into the sport, that's one hell of a "beginner to you boat." I can speak from experience (I currently own a 29 Fountain) and am overall really happy with it. I take it ~40 miles offshore on a regular basis with out questioning it at all.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Registered

IMO, they are great looking well built boats. Although just had the opportunity to help a friend out at his shop. His customer has 2 565ci motors in an older 29. I was completly amazed at the fact that it seemed like there was more room in the bilge with the two BB's than there was in the cockpit.
Fountains were always one of the brands on my short list but after see how cramped they are I don't think I'd care for it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make though.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered

There was a thread on the same thing

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...questions.html
Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys asking for recommendations need to give more information on what you are after. Speed? Comfort? Rough water ride? Low $$? etc...

Now I'm a little biased, but a 292 FasTech should be on the short list of 28'-32' candidates. It's not the fastest, but you won't find a more comfortable boat with a decent rough water ride (for what is really a 27' boat considering the built in swim platform). It is a heavy, twin stepped 24° V and will hit 70 mph with twin 6.2 liter small blocks (320HP). Turn-key reliability, decent fuel mileage and PLENTY of room to work on compared to twin big blocks. I changed all the spark plugs and impellers on mine this spring with no problem. The 292 won't be the cheapest, but you may find some good deals out there.

We spent a lot of time at several boat shows crawling through the Fountains and Formulas. The Formula just had a better feel and comfort level for us. It's whatever works for you. We bought our 292 new and love it! Good luck!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
You guys asking for recommendations need to give more information on what you are after. Speed? Comfort? Rough water ride? Low $$? etc...

Now I'm a little biased, but a 292 FasTech should be on the short list of 28'-32' candidates. It's not the fastest, but you won't find a more comfortable boat with a decent rough water ride (for what is really a 27' boat considering the built in swim platform). It is a heavy, twin stepped 24° V and will hit 70 mph with twin 6.2 liter small blocks (320HP). Turn-key reliability, decent fuel mileage and PLENTY of room to work on compared to twin big blocks. I changed all the spark plugs and impellers on mine this spring with no problem. The 292 won't be the cheapest, but you may find some good deals out there.

We spent a lot of time at several boat shows crawling through the Fountains and Formulas. The Formula just had a better feel and comfort level for us. It's whatever works for you. We bought our 292 new and love it! Good luck!
That's the key to the OP's question right there.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
That's the key to the OP's question right there.
Yep! By the way, AWESOME pics of your 29 Fountain! Looks like she flies real nice on that water.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Honestly, if you are looking to buy something in that size range and are getting into the sport, that's one hell of a "beginner to you boat." I can speak from experience (I currently own a 29 Fountain) and am overall really happy with it. I take it ~40 miles offshore on a regular basis with out questioning it at all.

how does the boat handle 3 foot waves? I would be boating on Lake Erie and after spending most of my summers on growing up on 18-22 foot open bows and nothing sucks more then it being in July on a 90 degree day and knowing you can't go out since it is to windy.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

A 29 Fountain is a single engine hull; even w/twin sb's they will take on water @ stern and c of g is off. My 28AT is substantially larger in all dimensions & I have a keelplane for the same reason.
Whatever boat you decide on, make sure you DRIVE it 1st....If the seller won't let you-don't buy it.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

k for everone helping me out here is what i learned after a test ride..
i owned a 1998 baja 25 outlaw last year.- sold
took this 1998 fountain 29 with twin 454 105 hours on it.
my feelings on the fountain quality was top notch,
k planes, hyd, sterring, indicators, nice things my baja didnt have. but im 5'11 and sitting in the seat my knees where almost bashing the dash. the whole cabin and the v birth was alot smaller than my 25 outlaw, my wife did not like this boat at all- she said it was just way to small compared to the outlaw.
the boat was on plane within seconds. and drove nice alot nicer than the outlaw, but it was alot heavier.
my desecion is in the air and my wife says no way.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselmatt1
my desecion is in the air and my wife says no way.
Well there you go!

Sounds like you need to look at a larger Outlaw, 28AT, 288 Sunsation, 28 Pantera, 28 Powerplay...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.