Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   thoughts on fountain fever 29 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/211194-thoughts-fountain-fever-29-a.html)

dieselmatt1 06-17-2009 05:15 PM

thoughts on fountain fever 29

im looking at a 1998 fountain fever 29 with twin 454 less than 100 hours, never seen winters outside always stored indoors. How much do you think it worth?
How does the 29 fountain ride, i had a 25 baja outlaw last year and and really enjoyed it.

socalstone 06-17-2009 05:22 PM

With a 2' beak and 2' swim platform, the boat is approx the same size as your 25. However, side by side it will look the entire 4' longer. The deck looks much longer, the cockpit is much larger. Quite a bit more room behind the front bolsters. With twins it is much heavier so will probably ride much nicer. I think the 29 fountain is a great looking boat. Especially with a single. With twins, it sits a little too low in the rear for me. Not sure if they are prone to water coming through the vents like the 32.
I had trouble with the seat positioning on the 29. My knees were eating the dash when seated. Not sure about pricing in this market, but should go cheap. post some pics, lets see it.

JAXOUTLAW 06-18-2009 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by socalstone (Post 2890761)
With a 2' beak and 2' swim platform, the boat is approx the same size as your 25. However, side by side it will look the entire 4' longer. The deck looks much longer, the cockpit is much larger. Quite a bit more room behind the front bolsters. With twins it is much heavier so will probably ride much nicer. I think the 29 fountain is a great looking boat. Especially with a single. With twins, it sits a little too low in the rear for me. Not sure if they are prone to water coming through the vents like the 32.
I had trouble with the seat positioning on the 29. My knees were eating the dash when seated. Not sure about pricing in this market, but should go cheap. post some pics, lets see it.

I 2nd that. They are the same size. you are not getting much more for your money.

TheFever29 06-18-2009 07:04 PM

i have the same exact boat but with 50 more hours on the engines. the boat rides really nice and handle very well. ive never had water come in through the vents on the side. i think the weight is just right and also two engines are better than one if you are offshore. Never know what could happen out there.
by the way mine is for sale. its in florida. let me know if u wanna see pics and video. take care

Detail Toyz 06-18-2009 07:44 PM

I Have a 29 with 575 they perform better with single I think. Ok the swim step and beak are not a whole two feet long. It does have a notched transom. People that use those two factors have nothing great to say about Fountains, but thats all you can say when they out perform every other vee out there. Come on a 29 Fountain to a 25 Baja, no compairison. who cares about the beak, and swim plat form it is how they perform is what counts.

JAXOUTLAW 06-18-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Detail Toyz (Post 2891836)
I Have a 29 with 575 they perform better with single I think. Ok the swim step and beak are not a whole two feet long. It does have a notched transom. People that use those two factors have nothing great to say about Fountains, but thats all you can say when they out perform every other vee out there. Come on a 29 Fountain to a 25 Baja, no compairison. who cares about the beak, and swim plat form it is how they perform is what counts.

For the price difference you are not getting much more. I take that back. The fit and finish is much better in a fountain. As far as space there is not much difference. Fountains are not the greatest coming up on plain either. You really have to use the trim tabs when loaded down (people/fuel).

OkieTunnel 06-18-2009 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JAXOUTLAW (Post 2891769)
I 2nd that. They are the same size. you are not getting much more for your money.

PUT DOWN THE PIPE! :bong: A 29 fountain with twins isn't in any way comparable to a 25 Outlaw. He will be ecstatic with the increase in capability. Twins is better in this boat also. It will handle rough water alot better with the added weight and will pull out of the hole strong. I would, however, in this market make sure you are not missing a nice 32 or 35 at a very similar price. It is a buyers market.

JAXOUTLAW 06-18-2009 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel (Post 2891929)
PUT DOWN THE PIPE! :bong: A 29 fountain with twins isn't in any way comparable to a 25 Outlaw. He will be ecstatic with the increase in capability. Twins is better in this boat also. It will handle rough water alot better with the added weight and will pull out of the hole strong. I would, however, in this market make sure you are not missing a nice 32 or 35 at a very similar price. It is a buyers market.

You might be right on pulling out of the hole with twins.:op: I have only driven the a single 525 29' fountain and a single 502 25' baja. I have to agree with you, Shop Around.

Powerplay25 06-18-2009 11:09 PM

A good friend of mine had a 29' Fountain with a pair of 500's. The boat run like a son of gun but he did not care for the handling. It also sat very low in the water.

I agree the boat would be better with a single motor.

I remember one of the performance magazines doing an article on one with a single 575. The boat topped out at 85 mph.