Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any New 575sc Mercury motors out there?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/211843-any-new-575sc-mercury-motors-out-there.html)

Strip Poker 388 07-07-2009 12:12 AM

Todays report:rolleyes:The mechanic says he forgot to put the lifter valley tray back in ,saying thats what caused it to burn oil,I bet he screwed up on the intake gaskets,

Audiofn 07-07-2009 06:40 AM

If you leave out that valley tray it will burn up a LOT of oil. My buddy had the same thing happen when they put his motor together. We were out for about an hour and had to get oil from a number of boats to fill it back up again.

JaayTeee 07-07-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2904389)
Todays report:rolleyes:The mechanic says he forgot to put the lifter valley tray back in ,saying thats what caused it to burn oil,I bet he screwed up on the intake gaskets,

Thats an expensive F'up.....is he going to stand behind it ?

Then again.....I'm not too shure I would want the same guy
working on it again:rolleyes:

outriggers 07-07-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 2898350)
What about a 525 that makes 575?:drink:

JC, Some people don't dyno with all the accessories. :D Doug

Michael Garibay 07-07-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee (Post 2903937)
Neither of mine used any oil, and I've heard
other owners of 575's say the same thing.

Did the mechanic take out or leave out the baffle tray
that goes uderneath the intake ?

Going thru 4 qts in that amount of time sounds crazy.

Yeah check the baffle plate. I bought a pair of 575 SCI motors from Derberry a couple of years ago and had them rebuild them before they shipped them out to me and they left out the baffle in one motor(acually they said it never had it). It burned a quart of oil per hour before Absolute Marine in Havasu found the problem. $34k for 2 used motors (including rebuilding) and they couldn't spring for a $40 baffle plate. Sh*t, I would have paid for it if I knew it was "missing". I cost me $2k to fix it after the fact...

Michael Garibay 07-07-2009 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay (Post 2904774)
Yeah check the baffle plate. I bought a pair of 575 SCI motors from Derberry a couple of years ago and had them rebuild them before they shipped them out to me and they left out the baffle in one motor(acually they said it never had it). It burned a quart of oil per hour before Absolute Marine in Havasu found the problem. $34k for 2 used motors (including rebuilding) and they couldn't spring for a $40 baffle plate. Sh*t, I would have paid for it if I knew it was "missing". I cost me $2k to fix it after the fact...

Never mind, i didn't check the second page of posts. It was the plate. Damn thing ruined another boaters day by getting left on the bench...

Strip Poker 388 07-07-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay (Post 2904777)
Never mind, i didn't check the second page of posts. It was the plate. Damn thing ruined another boaters day by getting left on the bench...

This guy tru it in the trash,he said didnt need it and the owner belived him.left over parts :eek:

When my 500efi were stock for 4 years, one didnt have the pan when I tore it down and didnt use much oil, maybe 1-2 a year.Maybe its differant on a blower motor?

Lmarth 07-07-2009 04:08 PM

Rob-I'll be the first to admit that I'm never too old to learn,but this thread has me perplexed. Are we talking about the black, stamped steel tray that snaps in the lifter valley under the intake? If it is, GM started using those on the L-88's about 1969. I rember buying one of those trays back then . It's sole purpose then was to keep hot oil from hitting the underside of the intake manifold. Blown or unblown, I can't imagine how it would affect oil consumption. I had a street driven 435 427 Corvette then without that plate and it didn't use as much oil as gas! I did use that tray on my SCCA Corvette. As I said, I'm always willing to learn about these things. Rob, do me a favor and PM me a status on your boat. Thanks!

JaayTeee 07-07-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lmarth (Post 2904906)
Rob-I'll be the first to admit that I'm never too old to learn,but this thread has me perplexed. Are we talking about the black, stamped steel tray that snaps in the lifter valley under the intake? If it is, GM started using those on the L-88's about 1969. I rember buying one of those trays back then . It's sole purpose then was to keep hot oil from hitting the underside of the intake manifold. Blown or unblown, I can't imagine how it would affect oil consumption. I had a street driven 435 427 Corvette then without that plate and it didn't use as much oil as gas! I did use that tray on my SCCA Corvette. As I said, I'm always willing to learn about these things. Rob, do me a favor and PM me a status on your boat. Thanks!

They ( merc) put the PCV valve in the intake manifold,
right between the supercharger and the distributor,
unlike automotive applications where they put it in a
valve cover, that also is usually baffled.

If the baffle isnt there, the PCV valve is directly exposed
to the lifter valley area, and all the oil splash that goes
on there.

Tmurch3 07-07-2009 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ptufaro (Post 2898184)
I have a 525 if he's interested he can pick it up on Monday Morning. 14500
504-343-7383

Tell me more about the 525. I might have some interest.