Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any New 575sc Mercury motors out there?? >

Any New 575sc Mercury motors out there??

Notices

Any New 575sc Mercury motors out there??

Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Todays reportThe mechanic says he forgot to put the lifter valley tray back in ,saying thats what caused it to burn oil,I bet he screwed up on the intake gaskets,
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you leave out that valley tray it will burn up a LOT of oil. My buddy had the same thing happen when they put his motor together. We were out for about an hour and had to get oil from a number of boats to fill it back up again.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Todays reportThe mechanic says he forgot to put the lifter valley tray back in ,saying thats what caused it to burn oil,I bet he screwed up on the intake gaskets,
Thats an expensive F'up.....is he going to stand behind it ?

Then again.....I'm not too shure I would want the same guy
working on it again
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCPERF
What about a 525 that makes 575?
JC, Some people don't dyno with all the accessories. Doug
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Neither of mine used any oil, and I've heard
other owners of 575's say the same thing.

Did the mechanic take out or leave out the baffle tray
that goes uderneath the intake ?

Going thru 4 qts in that amount of time sounds crazy.
Yeah check the baffle plate. I bought a pair of 575 SCI motors from Derberry a couple of years ago and had them rebuild them before they shipped them out to me and they left out the baffle in one motor(acually they said it never had it). It burned a quart of oil per hour before Absolute Marine in Havasu found the problem. $34k for 2 used motors (including rebuilding) and they couldn't spring for a $40 baffle plate. Sh*t, I would have paid for it if I knew it was "missing". I cost me $2k to fix it after the fact...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Yeah check the baffle plate. I bought a pair of 575 SCI motors from Derberry a couple of years ago and had them rebuild them before they shipped them out to me and they left out the baffle in one motor(acually they said it never had it). It burned a quart of oil per hour before Absolute Marine in Havasu found the problem. $34k for 2 used motors (including rebuilding) and they couldn't spring for a $40 baffle plate. Sh*t, I would have paid for it if I knew it was "missing". I cost me $2k to fix it after the fact...
Never mind, i didn't check the second page of posts. It was the plate. Damn thing ruined another boaters day by getting left on the bench...
Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Never mind, i didn't check the second page of posts. It was the plate. Damn thing ruined another boaters day by getting left on the bench...
This guy tru it in the trash,he said didnt need it and the owner belived him.left over parts

When my 500efi were stock for 4 years, one didnt have the pan when I tore it down and didnt use much oil, maybe 1-2 a year.Maybe its differant on a blower motor?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob-I'll be the first to admit that I'm never too old to learn,but this thread has me perplexed. Are we talking about the black, stamped steel tray that snaps in the lifter valley under the intake? If it is, GM started using those on the L-88's about 1969. I rember buying one of those trays back then . It's sole purpose then was to keep hot oil from hitting the underside of the intake manifold. Blown or unblown, I can't imagine how it would affect oil consumption. I had a street driven 435 427 Corvette then without that plate and it didn't use as much oil as gas! I did use that tray on my SCCA Corvette. As I said, I'm always willing to learn about these things. Rob, do me a favor and PM me a status on your boat. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob-I'll be the first to admit that I'm never too old to learn,but this thread has me perplexed. Are we talking about the black, stamped steel tray that snaps in the lifter valley under the intake? If it is, GM started using those on the L-88's about 1969. I rember buying one of those trays back then . It's sole purpose then was to keep hot oil from hitting the underside of the intake manifold. Blown or unblown, I can't imagine how it would affect oil consumption. I had a street driven 435 427 Corvette then without that plate and it didn't use as much oil as gas! I did use that tray on my SCCA Corvette. As I said, I'm always willing to learn about these things. Rob, do me a favor and PM me a status on your boat. Thanks!

They ( merc) put the PCV valve in the intake manifold,
right between the supercharger and the distributor,
unlike automotive applications where they put it in a
valve cover, that also is usually baffled.

If the baffle isnt there, the PCV valve is directly exposed
to the lifter valley area, and all the oil splash that goes
on there.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
I have a 525 if he's interested he can pick it up on Monday Morning. 14500
504-343-7383
Tell me more about the 525. I might have some interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.