Notices

New Hull Design

Old 03-29-2002, 11:59 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
New Hull Design

I just stumbled across a new hull design being built right here in NJ. All I can say is WOW!!! Wait till the Offshore people see this! LOA 32ft, 7' Beam, 23 degree bottom at the transom, 3 steps, 1st one RAMAIR INJECTED from recessed scoops in the bow, located on the hull sides of the boat. Sort of like a Ferarri type scoop. Now the kicker Hull&Deck weight to be in at around 2,000 lbs. Hull vacuum bagged with 1 1/4" Balsa and the sides 1" Balsa. Deck will also be composite material. The boat is a prototype right now and the deck hasn't been started yet. Soon as I get some pics,(You know me) I will post them. I had made only one input about the last step and hope they may try this out. The idea I have been hoping someone will try to eliminate the step bottom boats from spinning in the turns. Time will tell if they go ahead and use it.

A link to photos of how this boat was built: http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/id37.html

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-09-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:17 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkey
Sounds really kool!!!! Good luck to whom ever it is with this project. Is it a current boat builder or someone new getting into the game? Where in Jersey?
Old 03-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ram Air? Hhhhmmmm at about 200 Mph should work just Fine, That’s Assuming the intake Scoop is sufficiently large! (IMHO I do not believe a Scoop large enough could be fitted on the boat) Did they ever do any calculations of the CFM needed, you would be Very surprised. Also the” Reverse Gear Water Spout Effect” .Check valves anyone!! Balsa ??well I guess its Cost Effective! Core Cell would be the Logical Choice,Or Airex.But Its only my $.02

Best Regards
Old 03-30-2002, 07:56 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

No one new to the business. Here is a list of their 1st place finishes:

OPEN CLASS-NORTH AMERICAN

1ST.
OPEN CLASS-NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP

1ST.
PRO STOCK

1ST.
APBA NE DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

1ST.
APBA NORTH AMERICAN SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP

1ST.
APBA NE DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

1ST.
APBA NORTH AMERICAN SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP

1ST.
NJ GOVERNORS CUP

1ST.
TRUMPS GRAND NATIONAL WINNER

1ST.
APBA NORTH AMERICAN SERIES

1ST. This company has the technology to build an incredible boat. The air ducts are channeled 2 ways. Air to the first step and secondly, to the engine compartment. They are quite large scoops. I'm sure they planned it all out quite well. This boat has a nice sharp vee for cutting through the rough, and then has large strakes towards the bow, coming right off the keel. They will keep the bow lifting at all times and help prevent a stuff. This company has done alot of R&D with the core manufacturers. My only guess is Steve, that Balsa must have come out on top overall. Money is not an object to building the boats that they do. Their customers want the best and don't settle for anything less. Yes, foam may come in lighter, but their must still be a question about how long it will stay adhered to the fiberglass. This company has a long History with the Balsa with maybe one failure if at all, that it had anything to do with their layup. To date, there has not been one warranty claim made because their hulls do stay together. Race or Pleasure. I can't wait to see this boat hit the water. Soon as I have Pictures, I will post them. Oh, I left one out: KEY WEST PRO STOCK WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 1ST PLACE.

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-30-2002 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like I Mentioned the Balsa would be a cost only (as the basic price per square foot is about one half) By the way have you ever seen or done any real world testing of various Core materials? I could go on for a few pages about this .But I will cut it short! On a Localized Impact Balsa transfers the Load to the Inside skin Then the Excitement Begins While the Two I mentioned Do not (which would you prefer) Also a Little thing like Obeying Hooks Law, Where as in Bending at the point of Yield they act like Steel .

Imagine a Graph where the loading is Vertical the Balsa at the point of Yield would stop with a big” X”-Failure, while the Core Cell /Airex would continue to Support the Load But Yielding And a Horizontal line would be the result But no failure. You see the cell Structure can be deformed and Rebound while Wood can make no such Claim,

Bonding /Peel Strength Com’ On Nothing is Higher than Airex, Core cell is next.

They are Plastics and Cousins of the Resin Systems in common use today. Posses a great Affinity for one another.

I am responding to this “Only” Because you posted it----The Awards--- Any UIM wins? Also How about Design, Engineering, or Boatbuilding? That would be more to the Point or Pertinent would it not? The above also I Respect.

Best Regards

Last edited by Steve 1; 03-30-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:39 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Steve, I will not argue which core is superior, simply because I haven't dealt with foam cores personally. Have I put balsa through some tests? Well yes. The layup on the bottom of my 13' Mini Offshore is 3/4oz mat 2-1708 Bi-Directional Cloth, 3/4 oz mat 1/2" Baltek Balsa, 2-1708 Bi-Directional Cloth. The sides are only 3/4oz mat and 1-1708. All hand laid with Vinyl Ester Resin but not Vac. Bagged. Ask anyone that knows me, this boat has gone through it all. 90 mile+ Offshore Poker Runs. I am very satisfied with the core. I've had no failures with it. As for the exact reason why this company chose Balsa over Foam? I simply don't know. I see alot of Honeycomb composite in their shop as well. Nice stuff. I don't know where they're using it though. As far as other awards? Not much UIM Racing in the States. They have had several writes ups and boat tests in major magazines. As far as other awards? How often does a small custom boat builder get any kind of recognition really??? Awards, alot of times go to those that spend alot of $$$ in advertising. It's simply bought alot of times. When was the last time you read a BAD BOAT TEST in any magazine??? Not looking for an arguement on that, that's just my opinion...Someday, I myself may have to try the foam cores. Right now I can say I am satisfied...Thank you for your input Steve... If you want to see what my boats have gone through, click on Big Air Shots at: WWW.SHARKEYMARINE.COM
Attached Thumbnails New Hull Design-webboatbldg1ha.jpg  

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-30-2002 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:01 AM
mjuwalters

Sharkey
Would this boat be built by a cat builder name Jack?

Old 03-30-2002, 10:07 AM
brakeless

Balsa went by the way of Steam ships and the dodo birds.

I have seen rotten balsa many times and it's no fun fixing the problem. The stuff soaks up water like a sponge.

New technology in the foams is the only way to go.

Old 03-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sharkey Hey not trying to rain on your Parade But! Nice picture Balanced laminates across a ½ “Core .My point is with Balsa One has to be Very Very conscious Of the Moment of Inertia (Like extra Glass you want to keep that number very Large) While Us guys Using The “Ductile” Plastic core (not the right word exactly but close enough) we are free to Build to the “Apparent Moment” Akin to Lexan Engineering! Example Years and Years Ago in one of my Lines I used to build a Light shallow water fishing boat. For some of the Florida Keys Guides the first Problem in that it was the abuse the Hull had to take from hitting the Bottom 260 Days a Year. Second Problem was the complete boat had to be very Light, For Poling

Answer Gelcoat-3/4 oz- Bagged 1-1708-1"Airex-Bagged 1-1708 inside, 3 Stringers Also Bagged in Place Simple but still around today The Computer said 48 MPH with 90 HP we ran 54 MPH with a 70 at Full Load.

The Very first Class One Boat I built using a similar Mentality is still around in Japan somewhere after maybe more than a 125 Races, Here in the States. My Race,Fishing,Patrol Boats Another Story. Nice job on Your Web Site!

Best Regards

Last edited by Steve 1; 03-30-2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:17 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Oh My God!!!! STEVE??? Are you the same guy I worked with in Florida building a one off for Gazell? Cheetah Cat he called it. 35 or 36 ft cat that when I walked into your shop and lifted the boat off the blocks with my bare hands... Is this you??? If so? How the hell are ya? That cat won the World's with a pair of stock 200's. Very impressive for the first time out with that boat...

Quick Reply: New Hull Design

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.