Notices

headset help

Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts
Default headset help

We recently installed our David Clarke model 9800 intercom and headsets into the boat. This weekend we used them for our first Poker Run since the installation.

It has been a very nice upgrade to our boat, great installation, sound is wonderfull, but we are experiencing a problem.

We have the "behind the head" style headsets. I am having problem keeping them on my head on once I get up to speed. I have adjusted the velco strip as tight as I can but once we reach about 65-70 mph they start to slide back.

I am also wearing sunglasses that have a thicker ear piece (Motorcycle style glasses with foam inserts.)

I am wondering if maybe the thicker ear piece of the glasses is allowing wind to get into the ear pieces of the headsets, thus creating a loosening type factor???

Just wondering what you "GO really FAST" guys are doing? Obviously you go way faster than us and I would not expect you to be messing with your head sets at speed.

Any suggestions would be great.

PS: I run a Baja Outlaw, so basically, we are getting full wind.

Last edited by bajaholic; 06-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a run with just regular sunglasses and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Thanks, my other pair is Oakleys that too are wider... before I start spending $$$ on 30 different pairs of glasses I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Which brings us to the next question I guess, If the problem is the glasses which pair fit under the ear pads and can you still use/get the "foam" insert to keep your vision clear?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headsets.

Baha! Don't go so fast. JOHN
Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

you got such a good deal on the intercom system you should have plenty of $$$ for sunglasses ....I hope you get this worked out and that you are happy with system
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Get Down
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
We recently installed our David Clarke model 9800 intercom and headsets into the boat. This weekend we used them for our first Poker Run since the installation.

It has been a very nice upgrade to our boat, great installation, sound is wonderfull, but we are experiencing a problem.

We have the "behind the head" style headsets. I am having problem keeping them on my head on once I get up to speed. I have adjusted the velco strip as tight as I can but once we reach about 65-70 mph they start to slide back.

I am also wearing sunglasses that have a thicker ear piece (Motorcycle style glasses with foam inserts.)
I am wondering if maybe the thicker ear piece of the glasses is allowing wind to get into the ear pieces of the headsets, thus creating a loosening type factor???

Just wondering what you "GO really FAST" guys are doing? Obviously you go way faster than us and I would not expect you to be messing with your head sets at speed.

Any suggestions would be great.

PS: I run a Baja Outlaw, so basically, we are getting full wind.
I had David Clark send me an extra head band and I put it on the front works great and easy to install.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bullhead
you got such a good deal on the intercom system you should have plenty of $$$ for sunglasses ....I hope you get this worked out and that you are happy with system

THANKS AGAIN!!! So far they have been great overall... Keeps the co-pilot in the loop and you can actually here the radio!

Just trying to figure out why the boats around me all had on headsets, and they passed us like we stopped and they appeared to have no issues. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to them during the day.

I am sure... it is operator error!

Still coming to shootout? If so, maybe we can all get together somewhere along the way.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Rcrapsey may have the solution...will for sure look you guys up at the shootout
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Registered

I talked w/ David Clarke this afternoon, they have an extra strap kit as suggested. They stated they have had that issue in past when speed was important... So I ordered them.

Cool thing was when I asked what the cost was, she said NO Charge!

Nice to see customer service is still alive and well!

Thanks for the suggestions!