New Boat Desicions... 38' Scarab vs. 38' Eliminator >

New Boat Desicions... 38' Scarab vs. 38' Eliminator

Notices

New Boat Desicions... 38' Scarab vs. 38' Eliminator

Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Boat Desicions... 38' Scarab vs. 38' Eliminator

Hey guys.... I'm new here and to the powerboat world. I've owned some smaller boats but am getting ready to purchase a boat for our river/poker run scene. As I've noted, most of you guys know the market, and what's for sale, so you'll probably be able to figure out the very boats I'm talking about LOL. My first choice is a 1999 38' Scarab w/ 525SCs (300 hours). Boat is in good/great shape and doesn't need too terribly much. I got a check from my bank and made a trip to pick the boat up and sea trial only to get a phone call from my broker 12 hours from home saying the seller does not have the funds to bridge the gap in payoff. So I went ahead and continued down to sea trial the boat. I like the boat a lot, but I'm forced to take it in a pretty much as is situation as the seller has not a dollar to his name. Broker is trying to make short sale arrangements with bank but I feel like it's a long shot. My alternative is a 1998 Eliminator Eagle. Boat is priced similarly but a nicer vessel. This boat is a little more aggressively powered, Paul Pfaff 598s with Kinsler Injection and #6 drives. Any input on my two choices? Any input on Eliminators? I know they're big in the cat game but find very little about there V's. Fire away guys.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend test driving the 38 Eagle before anything else. I have heard that there are some interesting handling characteristics of the 38 Eliminator.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would try to seal the scarab deal but I am bias!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that somebody is picking between 38' Scarab and Eliminator. Usually it is a Cigarette/Formula/Fountain argument. I have a '98 38 Scarab (non-stepped compared to a '99) It is not as fast as the stepped boats for sure but rides well. Cannot comment on the AVS. I have never heard anything on the Eliminator, but I have only ever seen 1 or 2 on the water ever. And I live in So. Cal. and boat in Havasu where it is total Eliminator stomping ground. I don't know.Good luck
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Registered

Michael I've been a little confused as well. I know Daytona's have a long following, but to even find someone with an Eagle is tough. I've heard they have a few handling quirks, but no one can tell me about fit and finish, etc... I'm stumped.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

Why have you narrowed it down to just these two? There are probably a lot of other options out there as well.

What about these two are the features you want, as that could help decide.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

I'm honestly price driven. Finding great deals out here is tougher than you might think, and I do have a budget. I want a 38' boat... I'm not too particular. I'm open to most anything, but these two boats standout to me because they are "values"... even in this market.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I'm honestly price driven. Finding great deals out here is tougher than you might think, and I do have a budget. I want a 38' boat... I'm not too particular. I'm open to most anything, but these two boats standout to me because they are "values"... even in this market.
I know what you mean, it took me quite a while to find a good deal even these days. When you factor in financing, insurance etc it gets even tougher.

If you give a price target and uses, a lot people here probably could point out some other options as well. Like you said the big Elim V's don't have a ton of feedback. I would think the fit/finish would be on par with their cat's though.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

I have roughly $70k to spend. I want a boat 38' or larger... in good to great shape. I'm a pretty picky individual. Looking for something stock power or close (not too exotic if it can be avoided)... mid 70's MPH would be desirable. Don't want anything older than '98. I'm kind of particular to Scarab's at this point, but won't rule out any boat. Donzi ZX, Fountain Fever type windscreens are the real deal breaker for me looks wise.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlj676
Why have you narrowed it down to just these two? There are probably a lot of other options out there as well.

What about these two are the features you want, as that could help decide.
I have to agree here. There are alot of boats out there that are at firesale prices. Only advise is to take your time. Even bargain priced boats are not selling. So if you changed your mind after the purchase, you might not be able to get rid of it that quick. Have fun shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.