Notices

Does anyone know this truck.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic
It has bigger brakes then stock on it now
Excellent. I'm not against the big truck wheel packages. I just see to many people doing going cheap and dirty for looks, and expect the truck to perform and be as safe as stock.

Just be aware that the adapters that are bolted to the factory hubs are heavy. Then you have those 6 heftier wheels and much heavier tires that stock. That truck appears to be well done, so I'll bet the balance is set up well. However, it can be a very tricky thing to get right. I have several friends who have gone through this.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the banks engine brake for that truck, because They do not like to stop well loaded at all. Also the tranny has been a weak link for Dodge for years, The BD tranny upgrade is as bulletproof as it gets, and can be programmed to downshift like the ford does in tow mode, helps save braks.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by packinair
wasn't that DHLAW's?
Originally Posted by sonic
If so i would like to ask him what if any mods where done to this truck.Thanx
His trucks were usually white; however, I could be wrong....but I doubt it . I know he didn't like the way it towed with the big tires and wheels on it either.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Everyone I have talked with that have this BIG wheel conversion, says the same thing, it eats fuel, and it's hard to keep the wheels and tires balanced, especially for towing. I don't know about the braking issues......
Good luck, nice looking truck
Dean
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I haven't had any issues towing with the big wheels, it does tend to ride stiffer, but that was my only complaint. Tire life is great we got over 100K on a set.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by animalhouse
I would recommend the banks engine brake for that truck, because They do not like to stop well loaded at all. Also the tranny has been a weak link for Dodge for years, The BD tranny upgrade is as bulletproof as it gets, and can be programmed to downshift like the ford does in tow mode, helps save braks.
I agree but I recommend the BD exhaust brake. BD knows the Dodge so their tranny upgrades are awesome as is Suncoast, but sometimes all you need is a torque converter upgrade. That's usually the first part to fail in a Dodge automatic.

You can get almost any Cummins upgrade from BD and be confident they will perform as the company says they will. I can't seem to find their site addy so this forum will help;

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/bd-power/
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Exhaust manifold tapped for a pryometer? Thats a sure sign of being modded in the past. Make sure the tranny shifts nice and firm, no shift searching, no slipping, pop it into tow/haul mode, make sure the converter locks up around 35 mph and 50mph at light throttle. Then kinda roll into it and make sure the converter isn't slipping. Any more question feel free to give me a shout. I just put in a fully built tranny in my truck so i'm pretty familiar with the 48RE tranny in the trucks, especially the 06, which is what i have. With a tranny, and a Bully Dog Triple Dog with the crazy larry tune, that truck will be a beast and run strong and solid, and tow awesome. My cell number is 918-231-9213
Dex
Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I agree but I recommend the BD exhaust brake. BD knows the Dodge so their tranny upgrades are awesome as is Suncoast, but sometimes all you need is a torque converter upgrade. That's usually the first part to fail in a Dodge automatic.

You can get almost any Cummins upgrade from BD and be confident they will perform as the company says they will. I can't seem to find their site addy so this forum will help;

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/bd-power/
This is true. Most dodge autos just need a little more line preasure and a TC lock up feature to work well with an exhaust brake.

I like the truck. But the big tires/wheels need to go bye bye. You can accomplish much more with airbags and good E load tires on stock sized rims.