Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Today's stupid move!!!!...... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21252-todays-stupid-move.html)

Tinkerer 03-31-2002 05:05 PM

I usually keep the keys in the boat. Funny thing is that I keep the spare keys for the truck in the boat also. But that is another story.

MnFastBoat 03-31-2002 06:17 PM

The best was the running truck:)
How long was it running?

Two things I will admit
Never forgot the keys, but did leave them on the side of one of my old jet boats once. Had a good citizen follow me for over 10 miles to finally get my attention and tell me he thought he seen what looked like a key fob fall off the boat back on the first left turn from my house: (next time someone I honking at you, pay attention. Especially when towing something:)

I only take the plugs out at the end of the season. I leave them in all year. Never understood why people pull them out each time they trailer. Boats in the water never come out. Why do people take them out on the trailer?
Mine stay in!
Last fall after installing my new Teague mufflers I assumed that me friend that was helping me tighten the hose clamps on his side. Well, it did not happen and I should have checked everything over. : (
Went to the ramp, backed in, started both up, went to open hatch and it would not raise, Figured I would take care of that later. It was late in the day and wanted to test the new flame arrestors and mufflers. Well the boat sat there for about 5 minutes running. Got in and took off. Damn, this thing like had NO power? Barely could get on plane?
Come to find out after about 15 minutes and looking back seeing water on the floor I headed back to the dock. Called a friend that lives on the lake and they met me at the launch. Did everything I could to get the boat on the trailer.
Pulled plugs and it drained for over half an hour.
After turning down dinner from them I stayed at the launch. It is already dark out but I was determined to find out why the hatch and bilge pumps did not work. Come to find out that the wires I took out for the old silent choice had the MAIN ground wire. This wire I taped off. Now I had to re-wire in order to get it all right again. Was able to get things to work, opened the hatch and that is when I found the hose clamps loose: (

Moral of the post, keep the keys in the boat, spares in the truck, never take out your plugs, and always check other peoples work:)

Waterfoul 03-31-2002 07:43 PM

Hugh, to help you understand a few reasons some of us take our plugs out every time we take the boat out of the water:

1. Many boats (mine included) are not completely sealed agains leaks. For some reason, no matter what I do, I end up with some water in the boat after a weekend on the water. Some of this is undoubtably from swimming, rain showers that may happen, etc... but not all of it. And my bilge pumps will not get it all. Most, but not all.

2. Some of us store our boats outdoors. Covers are not 100% water proof either. If I left my plug in and it rained for a few days (which it does often in Michigan) I'd have gallons of water in my boat. Most of it from the air vents on the sides of the hulls, which are NOT covered by my cover.

Give you some insight??

51 days till LOTO my friend!!!!! Oh yeah!!

Sydwayz 03-31-2002 07:56 PM

The built in cooler in my Sonic drains into the bilge, and so does the shower. I always take the plug out as I leave the ramp, so it drains on the way home.

I have a little pouch the drain plug goes into, along with my stereo faceplate, my keys, and my cell-phone neoprene case for the boat. As soon as these are all de-installed after the boat goes on the trailer, this pouch goes into the glovebox of the truck. I always stash the keys for the truck, on the truck somewhere when parked at the marina, that way if you have a bad day and lose your boat somehow, you do not have a really bad day, and can't get home.

I have a wrench on the same keychain that has the keys for the trailer hitch. As soon as I hitch up the trailer, I see the wrench for the drain plug, and insert it.

How did I come up with my nice plan?
Ya know that nice walk-rail around all Sonics? Well, it is great for sticking things on at the marina, and driving off, and forgetting they are there. You know how hard it was to find, and replace a Clarion detachable faceplate? Took me 5 weeks to convince someone I did not have a stolen stereo.

Secretformula 03-31-2002 08:02 PM

The best reason I've heard for removing hull plug is if gas tank leaks you could windup with a tank of fuel in the bilge and the vent blower wouldn't help that much.

pullmytrigger 03-31-2002 09:03 PM

MnFast- So you mean to tell us that after a weekend of boating you could take the plug out of your boat and nothing would come out???? Do you store your boat inside?

Cignificant 04-01-2002 07:41 AM

Originally posted by MnFastBoat
The best was the running truck:)
How long was it running?

About 8 hours.

Great, do I get some kind of "Biggest Dumb Ass" award?:D :D

MnFastBoat 04-01-2002 08:42 AM

Originally posted by secretformula
The best reason I've heard for removing hull plug is if gas tank leaks you could windup with a tank of fuel in the bilge and the vent blower wouldn't help that much.
Maybe this comes from my old jet boats and v-drive. They never had drain plugs in them. But I only take mine out at the end ot the year or when I am on a long road trip. Like to Havasu or Loto.
But other then that I let the bilge pump take care of it. When I have taken it out for the road trips I have never had more then several ounces come out. Yes I do store it outside :( 'cept this year will be inside :)
But at leaast the cockpit cover or the full cover is on. Last year I only used the cockpit cover all season.
I have been known to leave the power on from the launch to my storage. I have caught the pump sprouting overside from time to time. But not very much. What is the big deal about leaving water in the bilge? Even if it is a gallon or two. Look at all the in the water boats. They are not dry. I know if it is winter it is not good. But during the summer, who cares if there is an ounce or a gallon.
I feel the chance on forgetting to put it back in is much worse then leaving it plugged all summer.
I do always check it tho'
Have been told about pranksters that will take out plugs that are kept in :( that would not be good.

CV-23 04-01-2002 03:49 PM

I went to Circuit City to buy a Kenwood CD player and 4 new speakers for the CV-23. Got to the Mall and found that I left my wallet on the desk at work.....Da, Mike.

BAJA WILL 04-01-2002 05:03 PM

OK,

Here is my short story, about 4 yrs ago, I was out in my Dads inboard ski boat. Out with some Fraternity brothers and hot girls. So I am showing off:D Well about 30-40 min into sking and playing, I noticed every time we stopped the bilge ran and battery was going dead, (Ichecked the plug right off, not it) So I keep on starting motor to keep battery charged. Well after a while it became evident that we were sinking, Fearing the WRATH of DAD, I make a straight shot for home(embarassed as chit) back of boat has 4 inches of water in it, rear cushion is floating by this point. Back in lift, after hours of confusion, figure out, mechanic didn't put freeze plugs back in motor. So while boat was running it was dumping water into the hull:p

WILL