Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Classic" OSO posts............can you find them? >

"Classic" OSO posts............can you find them?

Notices

"Classic" OSO posts............can you find them?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too lazy to search on Troutly. Wasn't he a cop?

What happen?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Masher and the moose

That was the infamous original Gerry of Canada Thread.

I needed an XR drive and found a great deal on a used drive from a guy in western Canada. Sent him a cashiers check and waited weeks for the drive...... never came. Called and called and called the guy to see what had happened to the drive but he would never answer the phone or return my call. After nearly a month I finally gave up hope of ever getting the drive or my money back and posted the guy's name and address on OSO, mostly as a warning for other's to not deal with the guy in the future. That's when the fun started.

To my amazement he replied to my post on OSO and came up with just a wild ass story about having been on a moose hunt in the Great White North and having not returned my calls because he had lost his cell phone during the moose hunt. He then claimed that the drive had been leaking and thus held by customs, and then lost by customs, and he refused to refund my money because it was all my fault for not insuring the drive - that he had never shipped. When OSO members challaged him to provide tracking numbers he couldn't and went on a long rant against the United States and Americans in general. That didn't set well with others on OSO and in particular Masher as he did some computer gizmo chit and came up with Satellite pics of the guys house (wild chit for the time) and various phone numbers of his home, place of business, likely hangouts upon which Masher and other OSO called the numbers and sent emails to the townspeople all day and during all hours of the night which quickly turned the guy's life into a living hell. One member registered the domian name GerryXXXSucksXXXXX.com and had the website up and running with updates on the situation.

Before long the guy's attitude went from "All you Americans' can just kiss my ass because I'm not giving the guy a refund" to "Just tell me where to send the check and Please make the phone calls and emails to town members from Masher and others stop because it is ruining my marriage!!"

It was an amazing thread because it showed the power of the OSO community at the time. The guy had clearly tried to #@#$ a member and flaunted the fact that he could get away with it because he lived far away in Canada. But a united OSO community came down on him like a ton of bricks - including many of our Canadian members who pressured the guy to do the right thing. He eventually agreed to gave me my money back, but only if I agreed to lock the thread and take down his personal information so the phone calls would stop. I agreed to do that in large part because the local Mounties told me that the guy was a repeat criminal and suspected drug dealer and in general an unstable person capable of doing most anything.

Anyways, in the thread the guy claimed to have lost his cell phone on a moose hunt. OSO members just ran with that. Someone clamied to have dailed the guy's cell phone only to have a moose answer the phone - thus the moose phone.

But the most classic post in the thead is where one member made up a Jeopardy board listing the various claims the scammer had made about all the high dollar chit he had as the Jeopary catagories.

Thanks again Masher and all others who helped him to do the right thing.

QUOTE=jayboat;2906166]Lots of great memories...

the 'moose ate my cellphone' thread was one of my favorites.
Although I'm prejudiced, the inspiration it provided will always be a classic to me.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Marginmn; 07-09-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
#3:

25 Sunsation (actually a 24x7 hull) with a 572/ProCharger. They reportedly had the boat over trimmed and his buddy hit the dash on a bad hop/landing. I don't think he ever came out of the coma. The guy's name on here was "kook".

Related: A good friend of mine actually ordered that boat new with a 496 before all that happened. Another good friend of mine bought the boat after the accident, put more big power in it, and ran it for several seasons. He later sold it with a 500EFI.
I remember all 3 incidents/threads as well.

The engine in the 25 Sunsation was a 572 and was built by the infamous Bruce Dudley, who later scammed a bunch of OSO members out of a bunch of $$$ and parts. I believe it was the last engine he delivered.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
I'm too lazy to search on Troutly. Wasn't he a cop?

What happen?
Yes, MN state trooper.

He was convicted of having a sexual relationship his 14yr old niece. The niece was later killed by a drunk driver while he was in jail. He is out of jail now.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Yes, MN state trooper.

He was convicted of having a sexual relationship his 14yr old niece. The niece was later killed by a drunk driver while he was in jail. He is out of jail now.
Wow thats sad, I was curious how that unfolded too.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
"Classic" OSO posts
"Tony Danza"
Which has been removed...

A post I could not find after looking for a while but it was when I first started hanging here;
Thread was about someone asking what to do to hop-up a motor and a guy chimed in with one of the best posts I have ever seen here;

"Run some boost through that biatch"
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apache Threads were always good

Rachels dead Is a classic

any post by Cashbrain was always sure to prove the idiot he was

Trick marine was good stuff

National marine threads were interesting

Even the Chief Threads provided entertainment
Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can not beleive that the "Poodle Threads" have not been brought up.

Rick32 hitting the dog with his truck!!! LOL
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

The GPS thread was hysterical......

This is all that is left from it

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ps-thread.html

There was a photoshop contest years ago too the was funny as hell. Can't find it though.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't find the "How Tall is Nort" thread either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.