Catalina Island Run....First Timer >

Catalina Island Run....First Timer

Notices

Catalina Island Run....First Timer

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mornings are usually calm. Recently the wind has been picking up in the afternoons. As someone else mentioned, the trip back to the mainland can get really ugly. Usually the harbor master in Avalon will tell you if its nasty....sometimes they even advise smaller boats not to try and cross the channel.
I got caught in true 5 to 8 footers on my way back last summer and they were totally random and it was like a friggin washing machine out there. We got beat to crap but the Cig held up like a champ.
Make sure you have everything you need safety wise and bring some warm clothes in case you get disabled and have to call for help or limp back on one motor. I lost a motor last summer and had to idle 25 miles back. One motor in pitch black, no moon and 3 ft seas....that pretty much sucked.
It may not seem that far....but you have to be prepared for anything out on the ocean....it can be very unforgiving but also very rewarding.

I use this site for marine forcast - scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS"

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...US56.KLOX.html

Just my own opinion....but I would not try to cross the channel in ANYTHING under 30 ft.

Last edited by LZH; 07-10-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my own opinion....but I would not try to cross the channel in ANYTHING under 30 ft.[/QUOTE]

Thats certainly safer and more comfortable- than a 25
bit just a bit overly cautious IMHO.

No doubt there are times when you'll need to "have a pair", but pay attention be careful and you'll likely be fine. Make sure mechanically you are ready.

People have been going there for decades in 19ft boats before they realized they all "needed" 42 ft fountains.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Just my own opinion....but I would not try to cross the channel in ANYTHING under 30 ft.
Thats certainly safer and more comfortable- than a 25
bit just a bit overly cautious IMHO.

No doubt there are times when you'll need to "have a pair", but pay attention be careful and you'll likely be fine. Make sure mechanically you are ready.

People have been going there for decades in 19ft boats before they realized they all "needed" 42 ft fountains.

Uncle Dave[/QUOTE]

yah thats it go from a 19 ft boat and get a 42 fountain which = a 24 ft boat after you deduct the beak and swimplatform [JUST KIDDING] uncle Dave is right about thinking about crossing oceans in spands like 20 to 30 miles, I use to do it all the time on the east coast to nantucket and block Island but we would try to leave early in the day then party and shop all day and night go to bed, eat in the morning leave by10am and beat the winds our trips were mostly 50 miles oneway so to do a 100 in a day does not leave anytime to have fun on a island. enjoy yourself stay over, last weekend I only had two days on a trip to block in Gerrys skater 46 turbine smooth over 4 to 5s but I had to leave the next day wife said one night only for me. I got the chit beat out of me on the way back in a 32 footer hustler in 5 to 6s, we left at 1.30pm Then the next day it was 1ft chop all day so GERRY HAD A GOOD RIDE he had teens and wife mom it was the right move , so have fun and leave some extra time. me and the wife got in a 25 mile trip way back and stayed for 4 days we had to leave on the 5th day in a 19ft boat in 4 to 5 footers maybe a 6th here and there she cried and I felt bad I tached back and forth for 3 hours on a 1 hour trip then we moved up to the 24ol never had a bad trip again and have been in big water just run them right. well good luck and stay overnight for at least one night to relax and enjoy. have fun art

Last edited by AIR TIME; 07-11-2009 at 08:05 PM.