Notices

Dumb Newb

Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
where will you be doing most of your boating?
mostly lakes and rivers but occasional trips to the big pond
Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Where do you boat? & what do you do?

Cat, tunnel, V, jet, outboard, v-drive, i/o, inboard

- what kind of propulsion are you partial to?

Uncle dave
probably a V hull, with a small cuddy, I haven't seen many cats with cuddys until you get into the bigger boats, not sure what a tunnel is, deffinately want an i/o.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed
Forget what these guys tell ya. They will all pretend to be your friend just so they can date your sister. If you want a boat that is fun & Fast buy this boat....
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o26343-en.html
I really like that boat. I have looked at the ad numerous times. If it is still available when I get ready to pull the trigger, it will be on my short list.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
For your first, "performance" boat, I would suggest a single engine boat, all stock, 5000lbs or less, Stick with common brands, reason is if you get into it and find its not for you, you can resell without loosing your ass. I would suggest, 25 Baja Outlaw, 27 Fountain, 25 Checkmate, 25 Sonic, or a boat similar. Keep in mind, bigger boat means bigger everything, Tow vehicle, trailer, boat lift, marina fee's, gas, insurance, you get the idea. All of the above can be towed with a Tahoe or full size truck.

Will
I am looking for a stock boat to start. I like the single engine for now because of $. Less expense for me will mean more use and enjoyment of the boat. Less gas to buy and 1 motor and outdrive to maintain should make a big difference. I am leaning toward a 23-25 foot boat w/a 502mpi or a 496 HO and external steering. I have driven fountains, bajas, and scarabs, but I have no 1st experience with checkmate or sonic. Do they both make good boats? I am no snob, but reliabilty, quality construcion, as well as fit and finish are very important to me.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehemlock
... but reliabilty, quality construcion, as well as fit and finish are very important to me.
Say no more. Look for a nice Formula. There are plenty around, a nice 242 or 272 would fit the bill very well. Plenty of people to help you if you need it, great service & support from Formula (even on older models) and they hold their resale value.

More ideas here: http://www.bigbadboat.com/2009/02/th...-offshore.html
Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered

Good Link, TY. It made me feel like I'm on the right track.

Last edited by doublehemlock; 07-13-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doublehemlock
I am looking for a stock boat to start. I like the single engine for now because of $. Less expense for me will mean more use and enjoyment of the boat. Less gas to buy and 1 motor and outdrive to maintain should make a big difference. I am leaning toward a 23-25 foot boat w/a 502mpi or a 496 HO and external steering. I have driven fountains, bajas, and scarabs, but I have no 1st experience with checkmate or sonic. Do they both make good boats? I am no snob, but reliabilty, quality construcion, as well as fit and finish are very important to me.
Yes, Sonic and Checkmate both make nice boats. Both very different, example Sonic will be bigger/heavier built more for rough water. Checkmate, has a shallower (lessV in hull) makes boat faster, but rougher ride in rough water. 502 mpi and 496HO or Mag are all great motors, and I agree stay away from anything molested, their are so many jack ass mechanics that just phuck up motors not haveing a clue to what their doing, just so they can make a buck off a guy.

Some considerations, how much will you use cabin? Will you spend the night on the boat? Some other brands to consider, but may have a hard time to stay in your price range, Pantera, Active thunder, Formula. Just keep in mind the rarer a boat the harder it will be to resell. For your price range I would try to stay with a 1997-2001
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

I may overnight occasionally, but the cabin just needs to be there so the wife can get out the elements for a few minutes at a time. I have been boating all of my life, but she is fairly new to it. I am stiill leaning toward the 23 SCS because I d don't think I'll outgrow the power too quickly, and I've been impressed with the scarabs I have been on in the past. I see a few checkmates for sale in my area but I have not had an opportunity to look at any of them yet. I am anxious to get a boat, but I will be patient and look until I find the right boat at the right price.

I appreciate everyones input so far. I have been lurking for quite some time, but just registered. This is a good board.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really like the 23 scs, take a look at Baja H2X, you can find a nice one in your price range.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

maybe a 25 Active Thunder or Superboat Y2K if you want a single. Honestly i would go twins and in that price range you should easily to find an older 30 Scarab or 30SS Sonic.
where will you be doing most of your boating?
I really like some of the older boats, but after reading your 101 thread, I think I may spend more time modernizing and customizing a boat like that than using it. I love your work that I have seen on here. When I do end with a boat, I would not be surprised if it eventually spends a winter in Toledo. Somewhere in the future I expect to buy a bigger boat w/ twins, but for now I will mostly be boating in the TN/KY area. I feel a slightly smaller and faster single engine boat will be suitable to my needs and bankroll. Keep up your great work, you are very tallented. And keep the singles flowing at the dance accademy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.