Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ferocious first lap in Sarasota SBI race on film (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212725-ferocious-first-lap-sarasota-sbi-race-film.html)

lucky strike 07-11-2009 02:22 PM

Awesome video...Thanks

Catmando 07-11-2009 02:31 PM

Lucky do you know these boats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JR03SwFCg&NR=1

boater31v 07-11-2009 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by alvinski (Post 2907796)
maybe they should get some turbines.

Alvinski

I agree that you can't beat the reliability of the turbines, but they are tooooo quiet!

McGary911 07-11-2009 06:39 PM

Wow great racing and great video quality. That's how video on the web should look.

thanks.

AIR TIME 07-11-2009 08:22 PM

well Geico had the lead but cms caught up to them one or 2 boat lengths behind in that turn. I thought Geico cut the turn to sharp from what I saw on the video which cut off cms and made them go through Geicos wake which will hurt the turbines over time laps. I was not there and had a few beers tonight watching so I COULD BE A THOUSAND % WRONG. but I thought you were to leave a lane open when a boat is right behind you in a turn. but hey thats racing and I only did it once before I got hurt:p:picard1: but hats off to Geico for a great job there my fav team in turbine hope they win it all again:Score-101010::D

boatme 07-11-2009 08:38 PM

great video thanks

jayboat 07-12-2009 07:38 AM

Very good video, thanks for sharing.
That was one of the best races of the day- shame CMS broke.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5756/sar091784.jpg

Maximus 07-12-2009 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 2908041)
well Geico had the lead but cms caught up to them one or 2 boat lengths behind in that turn. I thought Geico cut the turn to sharp from what I saw on the video which cut off cms and made them go through Geicos wake which will hurt the turbines over time laps. I was not there and had a few beers tonight watching so I COULD BE A THOUSAND % WRONG. but I thought you were to leave a lane open when a boat is right behind you in a turn. but hey thats racing and I only did it once before I got hurt:p:picard1: but hats off to Geico for a great job there my fav team in turbine hope they win it all again:Score-101010::D

Actually Air it's a good question/observation.

Offshore racing on a track is no different than any other type of racing. Rules of racing are tricky because they are applied from different vantage points. One rule we strive to live by is always leave a lane. While you are only required to leave a lane on turn 1 you can clearly see each and every pin we pass we leave a lane between us and the marker.Many competitors "pnch" you a little which let's you know what your up against. Written rules state you can't come over (take a lane) if the trailing boat is 50 ft from your transom.

The lead boat controls the course and dictates the racing line. You cannot control the race course from behind or force the outside boat from the inside lane. You must race your boat in accordance with the lead boats race until you pass...then the tables turn. :) alway a great part of a race. Rules of physics usually dictate to your senses what you can pull off.

While it is very difficult to control a course from the outside lane it can be done. Generally you need to be a faster boat all around. It must be done with care and the inside boat should pick up if they are getting the lane as a gift or they earned it. If they earned it then they must be able to navigate the turn at the entrance speed. A rule Scotty and I live by is never expect the lane. The leading boat has no rule (other than self /equipment preservation) and should race his/her best racing line. Knowing we had the short boat in the bump (our 44 MTI's kryptonite) and weighed 2500lbs more than the 48 we were not going to give them any more oceanfront real estate than we already had. At 2:07 you can clearly see they had 50+ feet of lane but a bad racing line. ( It feels good for a second to pull your competitor but it usually only lasts a sec) . We had the outside lane carrying speed and therefore were able to control the course.

In hindsight they clearly had an advantage with boat length and could have reflected that they reeled us in in half a lap. While not as glorious, they might have taken the outside lane after turn one on the second straight and pulled us with their long boat down the back straight (4-1) on lap two.

racing offshore is not all about HP. It takes strategy and most of all patience.

Hope this helps and thanks for your support.

Stop by the boat next time and introduce yourself

Marc

paintkahuna 07-12-2009 10:18 PM

It was a great race Marc, No harm no foul, that's why we call it racing, not grocery shopping......another day and who knows we may be able to return the favor and see how those fancy turbines like a couple hundred gallons of salt water:).... my partner in crime does not like it when I hose down another MTI, but I guess now your open game?

Look forward to seeing you at the next event.

Great Racing......

Bob #3

AIR TIME 07-13-2009 02:12 AM

Thanks Marc, It kind of reminds me of running a bike to fast in a turn deep[ not being set up for it ] and you are forced by the speed the bike is doing to go out around the turn can't stay close. and if your out coming in to the turn you can fly threw it. I raced some karts with my brother and brother inlaw a few weeks ago there x bike racers and them karts you can slam them into a turn pretty good. in a kart you just feel the Gs as you whip the wheel and can stay glued to the track most of the time:eek:. again great job congrats good luck this year to you and Scott I love the Turbines:coolcowboy:.