Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any idea what this baja is worth?  Other info about this model? >

Any idea what this baja is worth? Other info about this model?

Notices

Any idea what this baja is worth? Other info about this model?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the add has been deleted. what model was the boat? and did you buy it?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

The Pantera is as good as sold.

I looked at the Baja yesterday, and saw speeds of about 62 indicated. And it felt like about 55, if that.

The bilge had some soft spots on either side of the engine where the batteries were mounted, and in whacking the hull/transom all around with my lil hammer it was pretty obvious to me that, while not a complete sponge, the hull just wasn't that rigid anymore... Coulda fooled me by how it rode.

We took it out in 1-2' chop and I felt like my fillings were gonna rattle outta my teeth. Anyway, I figured that it would manage, barely on Lake Michigan... But, all in all, probably too small for what I really need.

I talked to my partner about it yesterday and we are actually considering early to mid 90's 270 Sundancers and the like to use the rest of the summer to float around on with all the little tramps we hang out with. Most of what we do we're anchored off in the Playpen anyway. And something like that would definitely be more usable in rougher water.

Maybe we'd get a Formula or something in the spring... Who knows?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

Its unfortunate but I think you would be hard pressed to find a Baja from that vintage that isn't rotted somewhere in the hull. After taking mine apart, it was obvious that the superstructure was built, then everything covered in glass. No seperation between structural parts. So as soon as water started migrating thru a bulkhead drainhole they didn't bother to seal, it permeated everything and that is exactly what happened to mine.

But that said, mine still handled Lake Erie pretty damn good for the three years I've had it. I'm looking forward to taking it out after everything is repaired and solid, should cut down on the shakes a lot.