Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast... >

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Notices

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Old 07-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will have to have arnesons. They are the highest production surface drive with the greatest knowledge base including prop selection.

Carcrash just changed my opinion on padded boats, although I still think multiple stepped hulls may spin out more than single or no step boats, but I don't have any data to back this "intuition". For some reason I really like the Hustler Fiore 40 single step design. Less steps would be easier for production reasons. I like the fact that step boats ride flatter, and plane flatter. Multiple pads and steps will require alot more fab in aluminum than a non pad non stepped hull.

For engines I would want something that is popular and available as a reman (diesel). Read the thread on Boatdesign_net about Harley boats for some opinions on engines. I also like David Pascoe's site and his opinions on engines. I would get the opinions of commerical fisherman as they have the most hours on diesels.

The only for sure is arnesons, with some bulletproof trannies. Diesels on IO mercruisers is stupid minus one in my opinion. If you go with aluminum because it is rugged, then you should go with shaft drives as they are more rugged than stern drives.

I would still like to see more aluminum boats, now that plasma cnc cutting and production MIG pulse welding is avail. I guess it doesn't have that fancy yacht factor....
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
blacklabmarine -

This is my advice take it or leave it - you already said you need diesel. This is most probably a goverment type application so anything other than off the shelf product can't even be considered.

Your building a big, heavy and wider(?) boat I guess.

Steps or not, your not going fast enough to make that much difference (people will argue that but any straight bottom can go 70 mph with ease)

Look at what Magnum has done, see what engines (Cat or Cummins) and drives (Arenson) they run and go from there - they make big heavy boats that go fast!

Trying to go do all kinds of things to copy the fiberglass builders will get you no where fast. Find an aluminium Cougar monohull - measure it, study it and copy it - it works, it goes fast, it's proven in a sea, etc, etc -

Just my 2 cents?
Good reply,
ed
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

No mater what trany you use make sure that it has electric shift or the diesel power will kill the clutch plats
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

FOund this in an email I just got. might give you some more ideas

http://machinedesign.com/article/118...ower-boat-0616

Here's the specs
Tech Specs
Length (at waterline) 100 ft
Beam 29.5 ft
Draught 4.5 ft
Displacement (half load) 95 tons
Cruising speed 60 kn
Engines Three gas turbines for 16,800 hp
Auxiliary power Two Cummins diesels for 740 hp
Range @ cruise 380 nm
Range @ 9 knots 1,500 nm
Fuel consumption @60 knots 15 gallons/nm
Fuel capacity 5,812 gallons
Fresh-water capacity 317 gallons
Water making Idromat MC-105 makes 79 gallons/hr
Generators Two 33-kW Kohler units generate 380 V @ 50 Hz
Navigation aids Autopilot, GPS, Satcom, Depth-sounder, wind instruments, radar, gyrocompass
Entertainment Hi-fi radio, three 15-in. LCD TVs, three 20-in. LCD TVs
Accommodations Six guests/Six crew
Tender 15-ft inflatable with 40-hp engine
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Taboo - how would electric shifts make any difference in the longevity of a tranny?

vtec- what are some bulletproof trannies? He's using big diesel power he will TD's or ZF's - what else would you do?

RIK - he's right on all accounts.

Why would anyone be leary of Arensons on a bigger, fatter boat - again Magnum, Sunseeker, Baia use them with stock trannies and they operate as normal pleasure boats, pull in and out of docks everyday and work fine.

I think, not sure we're talking about either a fast cruiser type of boat or a mil spec boat - not extoic - not racing - nothing that will be patentable and redefine the boating world.

Take what the customer wants and give them something that can do it with minimal headaches.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

Cable throw will let the trany get off center and the power of the diesel's will kill the clutch plats. Had this happen in Key West in 2004 and we where tossed from the boat. Put the electric shift on and never had a problem.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Jay...Someone mentioned off the shelf parts..As a reliable builder of one of the finest Alloy boats..I would think you would want it as simple for the customet down the road. Less headaches..means more sales...Nor-tech builds more diesels in the go-fast crowd than the others..they keep it simple..Yanmar/Arneson or Cummins/NXT. The Yanmars use to smoke a little, way less now..and the Cummins advertises the same hp but has less torque. The Nxt is good but not like a #6 and the Arneson 8's can just about handle 500hp/tq more than what they are rated for. I like surface drives and there simplicity...If I were to do a diesel boat again I would go the same set up..Yanmar/arneson..but would need more power to handle my speed addiction...So Yanmar..Can you here me..make the 480hp 600 and the 950tq around 1100..LOL

Jay here is the 43 NorTech diesel boat I was talking about in the Shaggy vid. It rides relatively the same as the Merc boat as far as attitude in the water goes..

http://NatalieKindt.ministryofsound....yhigh_mpeg.mpg
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Taboo - you were thrown from a diesel boat, which boat?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamTaboo
Cable throw will let the trany get off center and the power of the diesel's will kill the clutch plats. Had this happen in Key West in 2004 and we where tossed from the boat. Put the electric shift on and never had a problem.
All the transmission manufacturers have "electric shift" as a standard now a days. Mechanical shift is the rarer of the two so there should be no problems.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

2004 Key West Worlds
Attached Thumbnails You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...-hero1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.