Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How fast and what (if any) safety equipment? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21329-how-fast-what-if-any-safety-equipment.html)

XTRM22 04-01-2002 03:02 PM

WOW, that kinda speed in a a Baja that size qualifies as scary fast! My 22' Vee runs in the mid 60's but I still wear a jacket when the water is less the then smooth or when we do poker runs. I will probably upgrade to one of the Lifeline Jackets if we ever break into the 70's but now I wear a USCG approved neoprene jacket that zips and buckles. Cool name by the way, I had a 19' Galaxie with a built 350 that had WET VETTE printed across the stern.
Chuck

Shane 04-01-2002 03:05 PM

Great Topic

I have ALWAYS been a BIG proponent of safety. I think 95 in a 21 is way beyond INSANE! I'll watch thank you very much. In my Skater, if just tooling around at say 65 maybe 70 or less I do not wear any vest. If testing or runing WOT I ALWAYS wear a vest and often a helmet. In any radar run, or poker run I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear Lifeline Jackets and Helmets! Oh, and all passengers must as well!

Shane:cool:

WETTE VETTE 04-01-2002 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The WETTE VETTE only sees redline under perfect conditions on a very calm lake. I personally think it is a lot safer than some of those STVs and Rapid Crafts that are running around with a 2.5 drag motor strapped to the back. I don't let my friends drive it alone and I would never sell it with this much power. The acceleration is awsome and on the right water mid 90 MPH is quite comfortable. Safety is always first!!!!

Shane 04-01-2002 04:42 PM

Anyone care to guess how many inches of the hull are actually wet? I say 5!:eek:

NASTY HABIT 04-01-2002 04:50 PM

5 sq inches............cruisin!

mpally 04-01-2002 05:34 PM

The vests Jana is refering to is sold on page 878 of the big west catalog for $90.00.

wilerty 04-01-2002 08:43 PM

The voice of experience ... do not go up on plane without a kill switch lanyard attached. Things can and do happen very quickly. Do not buy or modify a boat to go over 70MPH GPS without hydraulic steering.

Many people on this board talk about how they're going to make their 65MPH boat go 85MPH. In many cases they assume the boat will feel the same at both speeds. My 280 Velocity went 70MPH with the stock 502 Mag. With the Whipplecharger it now goes middle 80s. It runs and handles great in the 70s and feels very solid. In the 80s though ... it has my absolute attention. I don't have any problem with the boat ... everything just happens a lot faster. There just isn't much hull in the water. F1 boats go low 80s and are the same size as mine. Watch Speed Vision. They spend more time out of the water than in it.

OFFICIAL BUSINESS 04-01-2002 09:28 PM

Additional safety tips

For those of you that really like to fly... A couple of additional safety items that should be concidered. A dounut ring worn around your neck and underneath your helmet will help keep you from breaking your neck in case of stuffing, and they are a pain in the ass to wear, but for even more neck protection life line sells a woven belt that goes around your chest and attaches straps to your helmet. I never fly without either anymore!

WETTE VETTE 04-01-2002 09:30 PM

Great point!! I always wear the lanyard. I went to full hydraulic steering and the driveability improved tremendously. That was when the boat was in the low 80's. I couldn't imagine trying to steer through any chine walking now without the full hydraulic system.