Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How fast and what (if any) safety equipment? >

How fast and what (if any) safety equipment?

Notices

How fast and what (if any) safety equipment?

Old 04-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How fast and what (if any) safety equipment?

I just finished reading the Hot Boat article "How Fast Is Too Fast" in the April 2000 issue. I thought it would be interesting to see how fast some of the OSO boaters are going and what safety gear they are using. My Baja 210 Sport has been radared at 95.8 MPH which is probably too fast for that hull to safely run. I do wear a lifeline lake racer jacket and pick and choose my water for high RPM blasts. What about the rest of the OSO crowd?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! You got my attention. 95+ in a 210 Baja? What are you pushing it with?

I have been thinking a lot lately about this question. My boat currently does about 80 but I will be putting a Whipple on it shortly and will be looking at speeds close to where you are. I already have external hydraulic steering, a kill switch lanyard which I [almost] always wear when the boat is underway, and I am in the habit of wearing a life vest on high speed runs under any but perfect conditions. The older I get the more fond of living I become. Now I need to decide if the benefits of helmets would outweigh the disadvantages. If I am thrown out of the boat the helmet could be a great advantage. If I stuff the boat it could be just as great a liabillty causing me to break me neck.
Good topic. I will be interested to see others opinions.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:11 PM

95 in a Baja 210, yougot balls. Over 85mph (true 85mph, not speedo) in a boat smaller than a 27 I think is dangerous and in a 27 its pretty hairy. Not that others should not go that fast, I just won't in smaller boat. Also over 100mph on inland water is a little sketchy. Just be real careful where you aim that rocket. And remember its all about personal responcibility.

Will
Old 04-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Registered

Mine does a pretty tame 70, but I wear what I call a "bass boat vest" (it has the 100 mph impact test and leg straps, but also pockets) and always clip on my kill switch lanyard. The boat has Latham hydraulic steering. Haven't really seen the need for a helmet yet. I'm a pretty convservative driver when it gets rough.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Goody76

110 mph in a 28' cat. Hydralic steering, 1/4 canopies and a kill switch laynard. The boat doesn't go 110 all the time only in the right conditions when I feel it is safe to do so. Things appear very quickly at that speed especially on the crowed waters with the unexpirenced out there!

Old 04-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Jana, tell us more about your "bass boat vest". What brand is it and where did you get it?
Old 04-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

My boat only runs in the seventies but when I do radar runs or poker runs I wear a self inflating vest. It's extremely comfortable, light and cool to wear.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

It's a Stearns Trophy or Competition (I don't remember which), blue and silver. It has a collar and leg straps, zipper and 3 buckles. A bit bulky, but I didn't see any ski vests with leg straps. I think it cost around $80 from West Marine a couple of years ago. Not sure if that style is still available.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Registered

I have seen vests similar to the Stearns Jana uses in marinas that sell bass boats. Bass boats run pretty fast these days and all occupants must be wearing a vest when underway in tournaments. I would think these type of jackets would double as lake racer jackets quite well. My lifeline "lake racer" jackets were $250.00 each and not coast guard approved.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Default Re: How fast and what (if any) safety equipment?

Originally posted by WETTE VETTE
I just finished reading the Hot Boat article "How Fast Is Too Fast" in the April 2000 issue. I thought it would be interesting to see how fast some of the OSO boaters are going and what safety gear they are using. My Baja 210 Sport has been radared at 95.8 MPH which is probably too fast for that hull to safely run. I do wear a lifeline lake racer jacket and pick and choose my water for high RPM blasts. What about the rest of the OSO crowd?
NUTS!

Quick Reply: How fast and what (if any) safety equipment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.