Notices

Pole Barn Question

Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 54x80x16 shed. I built a 2 story house in there as well until the house gets built that is. I also put in a 14x14 door since I dont know what I may have years down the road. Mine is built by a Company from Indiana called FBI, But it works well for us. I would send a couple of pics but I cant since I am a non paying customer. If interested let me know an dI could e-mail you some.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 AM
RHC
Registered

as has been said already, check the code's for your area ,, where I live they will not let you live in a outbuilding, only in the primary house ! I hate gov officals with too much time on there hands .

RHC
Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

If you live there, it's a house.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
Oh wow, you're in Cicero huh? I live on the north shore in Cleveland. I've seen your boat out at 3 mile before I think! Your barn looks great! What's the inside measurements of the living space? My mother will be living in it when it's done, so a bedroom, bath, kitchen and such will have to be in it also. That's kind of why I'm hesitant to use attic trusses, I really don't want to lose much space side to side up there and end up with something long and narrow.
Thanks 89Mach1.

Pop a couple dormers into those 10x12 pitch Attic Trusses and your got yourself a nice liveable Flat.
I'll be using the space for storage as we won't be able to dig a basement when we build our house next year.

Your welcome to have a look if you think it would be helpful.......just ring me on my cell @ 345-5004.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by live wire
WOW ...now thats a barn . I like your taste in boats too.
Thank you Live Wire!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Filtrman
Thanks 89Mach1.

Pop a couple dormers into those 10x12 pitch Attic Trusses and your got yourself a nice liveable Flat.
I'll be using the space for storage as we won't be able to dig a basement when we build our house next year.

Your welcome to have a look if you think it would be helpful.......just ring me on my cell @ 345-5004.
Thanks, I think I have it figured out. My lumber company I deal with daily (I'm a trim carpenter) had a truss company working on it the past few days for me. This is what they came up with. It will give me FULL use of the second floor as well as FULL use of the "garage" part of the barn with no support posts in the way. All in all, I'm very pleased with what they came up with for me!!!

If you're looking for a trim carpenter when you build your house next year feel free to get in touch with me. I come with great references! I trim for Miller Homes as well as Cromp Custom Homes. My number is 447-9549(cell/ Jay). I also do custom staircases on site, built-ins, and pretty much anything you give me a picture of I can come close to it or an exact copy. Always willing to help out a fellow OSO'er!

Again, thanks for the pics of your barn, it's beautiful!!

Jay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
32x40 Barn Trusses.pdf (24.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by 89Mach1; 07-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Registered

WOW.....I'm not so sure I totally understand what I'm looking at but then again.......you are much more qualified to make decisions about building construction than I will ever be!!! I TOTALLY rely on my Architect for this kinda sh.t! (On Paper ...looks like you got it figured out though bro!) Hopefully we can hook up some time and chat....I do plan on GC'in a good portion of my house when I build and I'm always on the look out for Good Craftsman/Tradesman!

Best of luck with your project!

Mike