Notices

Pole Barn Question

Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on building our house on our waterfront parcel across the street from the garage next year. We spent alot of upfront time thinking about the colors and look of the garage as we wanted it to match with what we do with the house. Here are some inside pics of finished 2nd story and one from the water (Dockside)
Attached Thumbnails Pole Barn Question-img_2245.jpg   Pole Barn Question-img_2277.jpg   Pole Barn Question-img_2282.jpg  

Pole Barn Question-img_2279.jpg   Pole Barn Question-img_3099.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Filtrman
We plan on building our house on our waterfront parcel across the street from the garage next year. We spent alot of upfront time thinking about the colors and look of the garage as we wanted it to match with what we do with the house. Here are some inside pics of finished 2nd story and one from the water (Dockside)
Oh wow, you're in Cicero huh? I live on the north shore in Cleveland. I've seen your boat out at 3 mile before I think! Your barn looks great! What's the inside measurements of the living space? My mother will be living in it when it's done, so a bedroom, bath, kitchen and such will have to be in it also. That's kind of why I'm hesitant to use attic trusses, I really don't want to lose much space side to side up there and end up with something long and narrow.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered

I see your in NY I had mine built by "Barns by Josh White" out of Westchester NY .He is a Thrid generation barn builder He would be able to build anything you need. Mine is 36 X 40 with a second floor loft sorry about the bad pic it doesn't show much of the barn.http://www.yourcontractordirect.com/...sting_id=17165
Attached Thumbnails Pole Barn Question-n1044382832_95653_6017.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Filtrman
WOW ...now thats a barn . I like your taste in boats too.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
Thats who built my garage. First class firm all the way.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bsebesy
32' is a big span to have, especially if you want load(liveable area) above it. To clear span that distance you probably need deep steel I-beams or big microlams.
Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner!

I would bet that this project would be cheaper in the long run using metal building construction.

The e-bay building someone spoke about 'ARE NOT DEALS!' Check with your areas builders for small metal building manufactures. Make sure the building are 'engineered' for your codes with respect to IBC or governing code, wind, lateral and snow loading. Your live and dead loads will need to be calculated for the loft or 150 psf is an overkill number you can use - again check with with your codes!

Also - don't forget the majors. Butler, Star, VP, Metallic, Rigid, Kirby to name a few. EVERY metal building manufacture is hungry right now. But, line it out quickly - I'm hearing a steel material increase in coming next month/early Sept.

Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want this 40' deep and 12' walls. I don't think metal is an option with double width doors and wood span would be difficult. This design is 62 wide.
Attached Thumbnails Pole Barn Question-189881585474c885d858fc.jpg  
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily clear span 32' with a floor truss system, than rafter the roof with collar ties.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

You can easily clear span 32' with a floor truss system, than rafter the roof with collar ties.
Agree floor trusses will easily span 32'. A 16" PRI-80 I joist will span up to 34' 12" OC and 31' 16" OC.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANK YOU! I never even thought about that option. I have a truss company working on it (called this morning) and they should have something for me Monday sometime as well as Gambrel trusses for the roof. Again, a huge thank you to everyone who has given their thoughts!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.