If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boating Instruction

What type and level of formal boating instruction/ training do you have and what would you recommend (USCG, USPS, BoatUS, etc)? I've spent many seasons on the water but I'm looking to take a formal USPS boating course (full course w/ navigation) this summer. Soon the lake where I keep my boat will require a formal boating course for registration. The state offers a two day course but I figured might as well take a real course with a power squadron. I figure I've got a lot to learn!
    Last edited by Luxy60; 04-01-2002 at 07:33 PM.

Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore
    Take a Power Squadron course, it should take about 8 to 10 weeks at one night a week.

Well worth it.

Bowleys Quarters, Maryland
    I took the USCG course, the 16 hour course without nav, only because my son is required to take it in Maryland so I went with him. My impression was good for the unexperienced boater but to a seasoned boater it's a waste of time. I did get a free year membership to BoatUS out of the deal, so all was not lost

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    Take the Power Squadron course-much more in depth and more info than the short ones.
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association

Lisa Lynne
    I took the coast gaurd course and highly recommend it for everyone. Even experienced boaters can use a refresher. It also gets me 10% off my insurance (State Farm).

My Boats:
    95 Formula 336, HP500's
    Lake St. Clair
    I took the USPS basic boating class to get a reduced rate on my insurance, and also figured it couldn't hurt. I took it after being in boating for 10 years and it seemed to me at the time that I knew most of what they were teaching (a lot of the navigation and some of the rules of the road were new to me.) Much of what I did know I had learned the hard way, so I'd definately recommend the class to anyone who's new to boating or has been boating for a while, but doesn't know the rules of the road. There are no yellow lines on the water, but there are hard and fast rules as to who has the right of way at different times. It can get dangerous in a hurry when people don't know when they should veer off and give way or hold their course and speed in a crossing situation. If you don't know when to do what, take the course, or at least buy a copy of Chapman's Piloting. The more knowledge you have (and the more knowledgable boaters we have), the safer the water will be for everyone.

My Boats:
    86 Formula, F357-SR1
    hingham,ma ,usa
    Luxy, Where in Mass are you from? I recomend a USCG captains(masters) course. There is a place in Hyannis called New England Maratime Acadamy. They offer very good courses on boating, charting, navagation,deck handling, ect. A little more money than Power Squadron or USCG basic classes.But well worth it especially if youve been boating a while. I would suggest a Six pack license. It will give you alot of skills you wont get in a basic course, and only takes around 8 weeks to complete. Good Luck and Safe Boatin. Mark B.

CBPBA's Walmart Greeter VIP Member Keith's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1990 34' Wellcraft Scarab
    Pasadena, MD
    I took both, but thought Power Squadron's was more detailed and therefore more beneficial. The only downside was our course had both sailboaters and powerboaters in the same classroom, it got ugly just about once every session.

I also took both diploma's and shrunk them to wallet sized documents and hand them over to any law enforcement when stopped for a spot check. That and a good attitude seem to help put that type of situation on a good course, no pun intended.

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."

Platinum Member Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    fuel injection, superchargers
    PA and MD
    Power Squadrons- even had my wife take it.

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven
    Just finished the Coast Guard Course. Did it mostly for the insurance break (10%, State Farm). I too found very little new info in the class. A few nav aids I did not know about..... Been boating for 30 years....could have taught most of the class. Did not do the Nav. part. But, they are offering to teach it if we are interested. I said sure, I'd be interested. Should be happening next week or the week after.
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast