Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who has went through this too????? >

Who has went through this too?????

Notices

Who has went through this too?????

Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has went through this too?????

I have posted before about my boat that I am trying to get running.(86 42' excalibur eagle-502's -borg trannies, trs drives)
Bought it in Nov. 07 and went to put it in the water only to re-trailer it ,as it had a noise in driver's side motor.
No biggy, I will pull the motor and repair..................

Little did I know what that ment,as I never had an out drive boat before and of course one never this large.
So off to a shop to pull the motor,found a guy who seems great.
And he was great, pulled the motor, found out it needed rebuilt,spun bearing-bad crank.
Oh yea, the motor was rebuilt and it still needs it as the cyl. are worn.
Ok.... now a total rebuild for one motor.
Lets check the other motor to see what we have........
Now both motors are out and at first I thought cool, rebuild bigger hp.
Then the total colapse of our income, well not total, but very hurtfull.

Well I get the motor #1 in the shop......
Then the boat shop owner calls and said" I am closing up shop,can't make it come get boat,motors and ect....

Great, low money, boat now in storage yard, motors in garage.
Both need lower ends as I had the heads done while still trying to get this barge in the water.

Meanwhile I had to take all cabin out as the rot/mold in there was very bad.
( the last guy kept in covered 99% off the time, but the hole in the cover let water in the cabin)
So there was moldville to contend with.

Ok .....
As of today there are two motors in my garage with all the other stuff.
Do not know when I may get them done, do not know who to take it to as I have had quote's from $1200 to $3000 just to put motors back in the boat,. I have no idea how to as the drives need to come out first.
It is 118 degree's today when I got home and damm to hot to work on it in the eves or even on weekends for that matter.
I have opened up the bathroom and removed/made new seats in the cabin.
I really love working/having this boat and wish things could work out better for me to work on her. I am lucky the interior is in good shape as the hull is clean also. Not perfect, but clean.

But, sometimes I feel like I done,just can't do it anymore.
I drive 2 hrs every day to work and 2-3 home.
My wife and kids need me on the weekends as I can't spend my weekends working on the boat.
Plus, with work being the way it is I am spending more time working weekends.

I know I will get it done, it just sucks seeing other boats in the water or even being towed.
Sorry, don't want to sound like a whinner, anyone else like this????????

Johnny
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep,

Economy was good when i boat my boat. Took it out a couple of times and then decided to fix the TLC things that I knew about. Economy started going downhill for me so the boat went into storage 2 or 3 years ago. Now its back at my home and i am slowly working on it. Luckily I have a 2nd boat to use if I need too, but it only made it out once last year. Just hang in there and do the work when you have time. I do enjoy getting into the boat and doing a few things, just wish I had a shop to work in...by taking my time it allows me to find better deals for the parts I need or want.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Registered

I was redoing a 36 Skater that was taking away from the family too much. I sold it to a guy with more time to finish and moved on. I say cut your losses and buy something that can get wet now.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel
I was redoing a 36 Skater that was taking away from the family too much. I sold it to a guy with more time to finish and moved on. I say cut your losses and buy something that can get wet now.
So, do you have room in your shop? LOL just kidding, wondered why the Skater was not in your signature.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prater
So, do you have room in your shop? LOL just kidding, wondered why the Skater was not in your signature.
35 Motion with sixes taking that space now. Let us know when you are going to make a trip to Texoma.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Johnny., I feel for you. Back in 2004 I bought a 1980 Scarab. This was my first offshore type boat. during the summer I had to adjust the valves twice because when the previous owner put in new cams he did not adjust them properly, and then I found out one of the rocker arms was side loading the trunnion so I had to pull all the rockers off both motors and inspect them. In the process of doing this, every time I had to pull the valve covers I had to remove the exhaust pipes and turbos ( because they sit right over the valve covers). Needless to say I went thru many exhaust riser gaskets that summer. I also I adjusted the timing and the MSD BTM to pull out 2 deg of timing for every 1 lb of boost. little did i know that I should have checked the retard function with a vacuum pump. On the last outing I had I detonated the starboard motor and blew out the crowns on 2 pistons. Since then I have removed both motors and drives and tore the one motor down. I work as a mechanic in the high performance vacuum field so I had access to complete machine shops. I have had the short block of the blown motor rebuilt, but still need to have the heads redone on the one motor. The cylinder head guy I worked with at Katech engines took the heads apart and found that the guides were sloppy. After taking things apart on the boat I have found substandard wiring and construction in various parts of the boat both on the part of Wellcraft and the previous owners. ( I hate hacks and people who "think" they know how to install wiring and other components). After the fiasco with the boat I bought a house and got married, so for me the wife comes 1st the house 2nd and boat 3rd. I know that one of these days I will finish it and when I am done it will be 100% correct with no short cuts taken. To me working on the boat is pleasurable and not a chore. So I feel you pain too. My garage has both motors and the outdrives and all the other stuff laying around in totes and boxes waiting to be redone, or reassembled. I know how you feel in seeing other boats out there and wishing yours was there too. The only thing I can say is be patient and finish it at you own pace.

Patrick