Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas ????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213854-big-time-motor-problem-any-ideas.html)

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-08-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2927789)
Let us know when you get the slowest Skater in the country back together oh perfect one.:lolhit:

Thanks Pal , So you gotta be a D!K :grinser010:
In 1 of your post you stated leave the BIG MOTORS & BIG CATS to you and your guys in Tuscon

I will prove to you that LARRYS TIMING was phuched up and
the boat will run on 100% methanol injetion (no water needed)
the boat will run on 93 pump gas (Loves)
the boat will run with the same old style merc distributors that have always been there )
the boat timing will be set at 27 degrees not Larrys 34 degrees
the boat will have same exact meth system and will come on at 9 lbs of boost ( not 6 or 4 lbs)
the boat will run at 4000 rpm ,5 lbs of boost,90 mph, and i will video tape the 13.7 miles this time and show O2s,Pyros, and pull a few plugs 4 ya ...

P.S. i did'nt ask Larry to build a drag race motor :eek:is was to be a poker run motor with Methanol to help with the EGTS at high rpm ...not at 4000 rpm :evilb:ame as before he took it apart and came up with this set-up ... :drink:

PEACE OUT & thanks for stoppin in this weekend :kiss:

BraceYourself 08-08-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2927802)
In 1 of your post you stated leave the BIG MOTORS & BIG CATS to you and your guys in Tuscon

the boat will run with the same old style merc distributors that have always been there )
the boat will have same exact meth system and will come on at 9 lbs of boost ( not 6 or 4 lbs)
the boat will run at 4000 rpm ,5 lbs of boost,90 mph, and i will video tape the 13.7 miles this time and show O2s,Pyros, and pull a few plugs 4 ya ...

P.S. i did'nt ask Larry to build a drag race motor :eek:is was to be a poker run motor with Methanol to help with the EGTS at high rpm ...not at 4000 rpm :evilb:ame as before he took it apart and came up with this set-up ... :drink:

I like your thinking... Don't give up, redo the motors, then bring this thread back to life with video and data of you hittin the speed you were shooting for... Also run 4K rpm's and prove engines will last.

mmareno 08-08-2009 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2927789)
Let us know when you get the slowest Skater in the country back together oh perfect one.:lolhit:

IT'S STILL A SKATER!!!

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-08-2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2927807)
I like your thinking... Don't give up, redo the motors, then bring this thread back to life with video and data of you hittin the speed you were shooting for... Also run 4K rpm's and prove engines will last.

:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::erna ehrung004:

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-08-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2927813)
IT'S STILL A SKATER!!!

Absolutely BIG Daddy, and 1 Peter is proud of ...........

40FlatDeck 08-08-2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2927802)

Yes, please prove me wrong, but your gonna need a pretty fast truck to break 150 in your boat......:eek:

The problem is you don't tell the truth, it's always someone elses fault.

skater40 08-08-2009 03:37 PM

Meth coming on at 9 lbs will not let your pump gas motor live.So now the truth comes out.:angry-smiley-038:

djmadmatt 08-08-2009 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2921515)
How much power did they make Bill?
I just see to many areas for problems. Big chief heads, meth and water, big roots blowers, etc. It's not what I would build. That doesn't mean it will not work. I'm sure it can be made to work just fine. At that power level, I just try to keep it simple. The simplier, the better in my opinion. If one thing is just a little bit out of whack, it will melt down like it did. There is just to much to go wrong in my opinion.
MY 1200/1400 efi is simply a 598 ci with 23 deg heads, a hydraulic roller and a 5 liter efi Whipple. The ones in the 399 V actually made 1326 hp on 93 octane. We held it for as long as we could at 6400 rpm to be sure that everything had stabilized. The egt's had peaked and were actually coming down, so I was happy that the engine was safe at that level. Now it would still need to be checked in the boat to be sure everything was good. I would NEVER just cut a customer loose with that. I backed them down to 1229 hp, just because that is what the customer wanted and all he needed. I am absolutely not tooting my horn or saying I'm great, I just think there are easier and safer ways to make the power. It has knock protection, among other safety features, to help it live if something goes wrong. The carb engines have no safety measures. I' m also not bashing Larry. He may have this combo figured out, but if something beyond his control goes wrong, there is no safety margin. I think every engine like that needs to be run in the boat with the builder. I run every engine I build and 9 out of 10 get a little tweaking to get them 100%. Not only that, but I usually find something in the boat that is not up to the task of supporting that kind of power. There could easily be something in the boat that could cause a failure in the engine (to small of a fuel line, water line, etc), that is out of the hands of the engine builder. That is why I run every one of them personally.
Here is a perfect example: the 399 Skater I just did actually had pickups in the fuel tank that were to big. The pumps had problems picking up the fuel when it got to about 1/4 tank. It was causing the fuel pressure to drop. If the customer would have run it hard, it may not have lived. I ran the boat several times and was able to catch it before it caused a problem. I seriously doubt the customer would have noticed a 5 or 10 psi drop in fuel pressure.
This is all just my opinion. Everyone has one, good or bad. Again, I'm am NOT bashing Larry or patting myself on the back. This is just the way I see it.
Eddie

Great Post!!! I like the way you think!

AIR TIME 08-08-2009 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2927816)
Absolutely BIG Daddy, and 1 Peter is proud of ...........

SKATERS RULE!!! thats for sure and your new paint makes yours the best looking 40 out there:coolcowboy:, but them OUTERLIMITS looked real nice the other day:D!! I got a nice long tour of the place this week:D. there doing fine . Mike and Paul went to the otherside of the pond , for there races that are coming up this weekend. I always liked there vees and now CATS! rode in the 1st 37 boat Mike made for Harry Turner back in winter of 95 IT WAS 27 DEGREES OUT and we hit 100 in the ocean jumping the wake of a ferry:coolcowboy:. Bill have fun with the kids this weekend. I did with mine at the zoo friday. later big daddy:coolcowboy:

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-08-2009 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by skater40 (Post 2927830)
Meth coming on at 9 lbs will not let your pump gas motor live.So now the truth comes out.:angry-smiley-038:

So you think theres no boat motors with blowers & inner coolers out there running 93 octane fuel and 9 lbs of boost ?????
When your not wackin off and get a few minutes go to the TEAGUE or BDS website and check out the innercooler section and how you can run 9- 10 lbs of boost pump gas INNERCOOLED.......
U gotta be friggin kidding me :lolhit: and once again dont forget we did it for the last 200+ hours so its not rocket science ...Larry may want his customers to think that but theres a bunch and they have more then 3.7 hours not like the POS motor that LARRYS ENGINE & MARINE put out the door ....Call Rudy and ask him where there meth comes on Blown & innercooled and there running 15 lbs of boost and close to 300 hours :eek: Maybe Larry can pick up a few tune secrets when mine are all done . I'll give ya one ahead of time DIKWEED dont run 34 degrees timing on a BIG CHIEF HEAD motor :angry-smiley-038::evilb: