Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas  ????? >

BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas ?????

Notices

BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas ?????

Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Larry told me motors were run on the dyno and ran 3000-7000 rpm pulls & i asked him if he held them at 4000 or 4500 rpm cruising speed and he said NO i would have to write a program for the dyno to do that ..
Originally Posted by JCPERF
Big Chief stuff usually run around 30 degrees.If it is 14 degree or less Big Chief stuff they like 28 degrees timing.As far as the jets thats way to small.Fuel pressure should be at 7.5 to 8 lbs.For the hell of check your fuel tanks for ****,Skaters have a tendency to have fuel tank issues with Ethanol.
Just FYI, the last time Jeff did my engines and Richie Zul dynoed them (I was there, crapping my pants) he did "steady-state" pulls WFO @ 4K, 4600 (peak torque), 5600, 5800 & 6K RPM's along with sweeping pulls from about 4K - 5800 and 4k-6k rpms. No program, just push the throttle and hold the brake and hit the record button.

PS, Jeff made Richie do the steady state runs cause he wanted to beat em up a little!!

Last edited by Panther; 07-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=offshoresteve;2920436]Man that Sux Sh*t Bill . All that paint work and prep you did over the winter to have your boating season cut short by Sh*t work done by someone you trusted and paid alot of $$.

Man that Sux Sh*t Bill

U dont have to say that twice Steve , the killer is with the old motors we'd still be running in 2009 that leaked down good but the smoke up my azz sounded great .Bigger power,reliability,but motors were to be built for 93 octane and Methanol as a added bonus to help with egts was not to ever intended to run methanol from 4 lbs of boost to band aide a too high compression motor that was always known going to run 15 - 16 lbs of boost
Attached Thumbnails BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas  ?????-pix-083.jpg   BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas  ?????-pix-086.jpg   BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas  ?????-pix-088.jpg  

Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Time

Rerig with a pair of turbines and small diesel maneuvering engines. Diesels set up to power small props mounted above bottom of boat (only usefull with hull in the water), on plane they are totally out of the water. Diesels to also provide power to cold and hot start turbines. If I hit the lottery this is how I would set up my dream boat. Would only want 5 to 10 mph out of the diesels so perhaps 25hp each, enough to cool and hot start the turbines.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dyno'd these motors right?

I'm starting to think the same thing Bro motor came back at 34 degrees timing,never recieved the Vid or pics of the dyno pulls,1 blower was siliconed and torqued at 16+ lbs the other no silicone and only hand tight I will dig up the 34 degree timing email and post it
Wow. I'm really sorry this happened to ya. I can't believe someone would do that type of shotty work with such nice pieces and especially since you were being more than accommodating with the cash flow. Definitely put their name out there so others don't get taken like this.

I worked at a machine shop about 15 years ago (they still build all my stuff) and it didn't matter if you had a million dollars or 2k in parts, everything got checked and double checked before it left the shop. The basic same group of guys are still there today and still produce some very nice work.... out of the same shop for the last 30 years.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bill,
Didn't I see an old post where you had EGT's installed in your boat. Curious which cylinder(s) were they on and what was the readings.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya Mario its hard to make everyone happy but when you pay for complete motors ready to drop in and the motors ran 200 hours plus with more jet and exact same water & meth set-up .mmmmmmmm makes ya wonder
I here ya big Daddy... You almost need to get them built in the early fall run them in FL or South in the warm then get ready for summer in the spring to make sure there is no problems.. Problem is you get your chit when they get around to it then you got problems in the height of the season.. THEN WHAT!!

I am still down too.. And it isnt on my end either.. But it is coming together. I am just anxious too.. Good Luck and If there is something I could do to help.. Don't hesitate to ask!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complete bummer dude. Im shocked at this story.

No dyno picts, no trace of timing changes v power, or Air fuel mix, power from a dyno sheet= no beleiva he did it.

The guy that told you 200 hours couldn't have used this combo before.

As another guy stated- Never seen Big chief heads go for more that 50 hours without a valve train redo. Big Chief = big pain in the A$$.
Very few guys that actually have to warranty stuff use Big chiefs.

I can hear the other side now......

He'll blame your fuel delivery system as not delivering enough pressure and claim you used cheap gas.

I think Gellner, Eddie, Ateco, or Teague would be a good way to just cut your losses at this stage. It would have been cheaper to spend more at Sterling.

Good luck with this one dude. Were all Cringing.

UD
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mmareno
I here ya big Daddy... You almost need to get them built in the early fall run them in FL or South in the warm then get ready for summer in the spring to make sure there is no problems.. Problem is you get your chit when they get around to it then you got problems in the height of the season.. THEN WHAT!!

I am still down too.. And it isnt on my end either.. But it is coming together. I am just anxious too.. Good Luck and If there is something I could do to help.. Don't hesitate to ask!!!
Might be time to put the cover on the Bad boy and put it in the back corner of the shop and fugget about it and if the kidz feel like joinin the SKATER NATION at a later date they can have at it ... will give me some time to get my Canoe ready J/O G/S
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

The legend himself, Keith Eickert, is not all that far from you in Easton, IL. at Lightning Performance Group.

http://www.kustomengines.net/

You cannot beat Eddie Young though for the ultimate in customer service and final dial-in.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Complete bummer dude. Im shocked at this story.

No dyno picts, no trace of timing changes v power, or Air fuel mix, power from a dyno sheet= no beleiva he did it.

The guy that told you 200 hours couldn't have used this combo before.

As another guy stated- Never seen Big chief heads go for more that 50 hours without a valve train redo. Big Chief = big pain in the A$$.
Very few guys that actually have to warranty stuff use Big chiefs.

I can hear the other side now......

He'll blame your fuel delivery system as not delivering enough pressure and claim you used cheap gas.

I think Gellner, Eddie, Ateco, or Teague would be a good way to just cut your losses at this stage. It would have been cheaper to spend more at Sterling.

Good luck with this one dude. Were all Cringing.

UD
Thanks UD If the BIG CHIEF were the problem or weak link they should of been changed along with the build instead of saying we do a special stage 3 port job and make huge flow #s and with regular valve train checking & adjusting rockers BIG CHIEF are the chit ..... come to find out the heads were re-flowed here locally and #s do not match the flow chart that was faxed for the stage #3 port job .... and seems the BSFC #s were not done on the dyno even though i specifically asked for them ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.