Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas  ????? >

BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas ?????

Notices

BIG Time motor problem ...any ideas ?????

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Do not assume the smaller jets are the issue. You are using methanol injection which requires smaller jets. I had to go down 10 jet sizes to get the EGT and O2 even close to normal when the meth kicked in. I also run 32 degrees timing and also have a 16:71 blower. I would lean towards the higher compression problem and running the engine at 4000 rpm for an extended period of time. That is the lean spot for me also as it just before the meth comes on. The engines have no load cruising at 90 mph as I am running less than 1/2 throttle causing the engines to go lean as the hull is aired out. I tend to up and down in speed rather than stay at one constant lean spot. I am really sorry to hear of your boat issues this year.
So your running BIG CHIEF heads now with 95cc chambers ???? Methanol is not a band aide for a too high compression motor ... un touched / un damaged heads were measured at 95 ccs before machining and 40 cc pistons make it a 9-1 motor and stuck in a .051 gasket instead on a .039 gasket to help with the high compression ... Funny thing Larry never said not to run the boat at 4000 rpm keep movin the sticks around . And as per LARRYS ENGINE & MARINE recomendation we added 25% of 110 octane in the fuel tanks ....

It just keeps gettin better ...... mmmm heres one 4 ya cc 1 pistom dome $ 190.00 ( YES 1 chamber on 1 head ) mmmmmm
Thanks for your concern Brad , really wish we had her back together for the Winthrop fun run last weekend ..

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 07-28-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this! Been there myself 3 times in the past few years with 3 different, well known builders. I wasn't trying to be cheap but I didn't want to pay the money Sterling charges. I have had 3 different shops here in south Florida, do jobs for me, have multiple problems, pay to rectify those problems just to have more problems. Each time when enough was enough, you end up finding all the shortcuts that were taken. (only 4 new pistons, mis matcher rockers, used parts etc)

Now I send everthing back to Sterling. It is a little bit of sticker shock when i get the estimates but the engines come back perfect and there are no issues. In the long run you end up paying less. You only pay once for the repairs and once to RxR the motors, let alone the downtime and aggrevation you save. You finish your runs! From now on I will only use Sterling, Period!

I love when the other builders say....get the motors over to me. No regard for the time or labor to pull them and transport. They can care less about your downtime and best of all, If there are other money making jobs in the shop, you wait!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
You stand corrected BIG Daddy the boat had a 50/50 mix and there is no switch for Meth comes on at 6 lbs as instructed by builder ... saving meth ???? mmmmm if its mixed together in the same tank DUH .... And the timing ???? motor was ran at 34 degrees and now i have an email that says 26 degrees for BIG CHIEF heads mmm .. Larry told me motors were run on the dyno and ran 3000-7000 rpm pulls & i asked him if he held them at 4000 or 4500 rpm cruising speed and he said NO i would have to write a program for the dyno to do that .. No excuses and Larry was paid every penny .... and J/Off as far as if my wife was out of town last friday due to her mothers 2 nd stroke aint none of your friggin business so leave her out of it and you can remember to tell me that one face to face ... love to discuss it with you

I knew the LARRYS ENGINE & MARINE cheerleader would show up
Get a canoe-you cant screw that up.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

Sorry but Big Chief motors with small combustion chambers do not like timing, especially with boost. I am shocked he originally told you 34 degrees!!!

Depending on how much boost, I'd say start witha max of 26 degrees and go from there. They dyno'd these motors right? How they didn't melt it down with that much timing and any significant amount of boost, is beyond me.

I hope you get it all worked out, sounds like you got some very nice hardware there.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by niceguy
Sorry but Big Chief motors with small combustion chambers do not like timing, especially with boost. I am shocked he originally told you 34 degrees!!!

Depending on how much boost, I'd say start witha max of 26 degrees and go from there. They dyno'd these motors right? How they didn't melt it down with that much timing and any significant amount of boost, is beyond me.

I hope you get it all worked out, sounds like you got some very nice hardware there.

Sorry but Big Chief motors with small combustion chambers do not like timing, especially with boost. I am shocked he originally told you 34 degrees mmmmm

So a shop that claim to fame is these BIG chief heads and does them all the time should know 32 degrees is too much timing ??? I will have to dig out the other BIG CHIEF dyno sheets from there they were much lower timing
thanks BIG Daddy
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Sorry to hear this! Been there myself 3 times in the past few years with 3 different, well known builders. I wasn't trying to be cheap but I didn't want to pay the money Sterling charges. I have had 3 different shops here in south Florida, do jobs for me, have multiple problems, pay to rectify those problems just to have more problems. Each time when enough was enough, you end up finding all the shortcuts that were taken. (only 4 new pistons, mis matcher rockers, used parts etc)

Now I send everthing back to Sterling. It is a little bit of sticker shock when i get the estimates but the engines come back perfect and there are no issues. In the long run you end up paying less. You only pay once for the repairs and once to RxR the motors, let alone the downtime and aggrevation you save. You finish your runs! From now on I will only use Sterling, Period!

I love when the other builders say....get the motors over to me. No regard for the time or labor to pull them and transport. They can care less about your downtime and best of all, If there are other money making jobs in the shop, you wait!
They can care less about your downtime

I hear ya Gino , gets old in a friggin hurry ..... spend good monies and get sold on that just regular valve train maint,10 hour oil changes, and 200 hour re-fresh ..NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lake Rat
That really sux Big Daddy!!! Hope you get it straightened out and salvage part of your summer.
Theres always next years Kentucky run
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamie B.
Its nothing personal, its just the way I feel based on personal and others experiences in similar situations.
Sorry again Bill
Well lets look at it this way Bill has Big Chief Cyl heads ???
Designed for big cubic inch high compression in a drag race application Car Stuff, Hymmm!!! Speed Stuff!!!
This set up is going to be installed in a watercraft, Marine Hymmm!!!
Thus if he took it to a marine only shop who never dealt with drag racing heads (Manufacture's suggested application) Well what do we have now the exact opposite of what you thought it should be.
dont judge a book by its cover
But daym Gino 4 pistons and used stuff that chit is cheep vs destroying rep of the shop.
Sorry Bill
Tell me to go away and I will
Thumper
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42

x2 100% agreed, sorry to hear that bill , just come down to havasu and take the boat out anytime , dont let this ruin your season
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Wobble, Thanks for the referral.

Gino, Unfortunately, you described the vast majority of the builders out there. It really is a shame, but remember, not all of us are that way.

Bill,
Those pics make me sick. I want to cry. You have called me numerous times for advice, so you must think I know what I'm doing. I would be glad to help in any way I can. You should get rid of the 16-71, the carbs and the meth and put on a 5 liter efi Whipple and make the same power or more and keep it together. You know how to reach me. I would be happy to help if I can. The biggest problem that I see is that the builder did not complete the job. I go to every one of my engines and run them the first time to make sure they are right. You can not rely on the customer to do it. If he knew that much, he would build it himself. It is the builders responsibility to make sure the engine is tuned correctly, the timing is set, etc. I hope it all works out for ya. Talk to you soon, Eddie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.