Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why do boats break? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213940-why-do-boats-break.html)

GO4BROKE 07-30-2009 08:02 PM

Toyota did a marine engine for a couple years. It was in ski boats I think. It sucked, over complicated and broke a lot.

LZH 07-30-2009 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by isellpower (Post 2921105)
I realize that boats use Chevy, Ford, Dodge (Ilmor) engines, but boats themselves are built by tiny companies in comparison to cars. What do you suppose the price and reliability of boats would be if Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc, built boats? I suppose maint and breakage would be decreased dramatically. Just imagine the engineering budget Toyota would have for drives. F1 cars run at constant super high RPM's with big hp and small cu's and they do not break nearly as often as the high hp race boats. Just my 2 rupes.

And if you had a $500mm/year budget nothing would ever break....that's about what the top F1 teams spend.

Most boats are pretty reliable....high performance boats, just by the sheer nature of what they do (go fast) is a recipe for broken parts. Especially when they are run in big water. The physics of pushing something that big and heavy, at 80+ mph through the water is enormous and requires constant attention to the mechanicals and frequent service intervals. Kind of like how top fuel dragsters basically rebuild the motor after every 1/4 mie pass.
You gotta pay to play.

young-gun 07-31-2009 12:57 AM

"You gotta pay to play" - a mechanic once said that to me after I was shocked at how much it took to replace something simple.

Anyways, think about it this way, if you were in the water most your life, I'm sure you would break much faster than being on dry-land all the time.

Totally unrelated but watch the movie waterworld to get a grasp of global warming to the max and being on a boat ALL day.

camptappakeg69 08-02-2009 07:38 PM

I realize that boats use Chevy, Ford, Dodge (Ilmor) engines, but boats themselves are built by tiny companies in comparison to cars. What do you suppose the price and reliability of boats would be if Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc, built boats? I suppose maint and breakage would be decreased dramatically. Just imagine the engineering budget Toyota would have for drives. F1 cars run at constant super high RPM's with big hp and small cu's and they do not break nearly as often as the high hp race boats. Just my 2 rupes.

Take any of them cars, run up about 4000 rpm and drive it over three foot speed bumps and see how long it lasts.

endeavor1 08-02-2009 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69 (Post 2923381)
Take any of them cars, run up about 4000 rpm and drive it over three foot speed bumps and see how long it lasts.

Just tryed it, stuff broke... alot of stuff :lolhit:

SDFever 08-03-2009 01:40 AM

F1 cars run at constant super high RPM's with big hp and small cu's and they do not break nearly as often as the high hp race boats. Just my 2 rupes.

F1 engines make almost NO torque. High hp for their size but they don't need torque. Boats run on torque.

Torque and shock loading kills stern drives. Put an F1 car tranny in a boat and be lucky to get on plane first try but I doubt it.

There are drives that don't break (Arneson, Twin Disc, etc). A boat is one GIANT compromise. It operates in an abusive environment right out of the gate. However...

There is nothing I hate or love more.

sandcraft 08-03-2009 02:11 AM

OK, so I just ordered 2 GM marine 502 longblocks (factory) from Derebery performance. They are new,factory GM built units. Do I need to do a teardown and tech inspection (verify proper clearances) Although these are supposedly marine standard engines, they dont have inconel ex valves. I thought that was one of the standards on marine engines. Any advice?

BowenCT 08-03-2009 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2921925)
Toyota did a marine engine for a couple years. It was in ski boats I think. It sucked, over complicated and broke a lot.

They did, the boat were called Epic and they were inboard tournament ski boats. The boats were actually very nice and at the time were competing with industry leaders like MasterCraft, Nautiques, and Malibu. One downfall was that no one was real keen on the Lexus overhead cam V8. The demise of the line was the fact that Toyota is a very smart company, and they soon realized that selling niche boats in the high-end ski boat market wasn't the most prudent business decision.

The Epic name has been ressurected under a new company out of CA.

Full Force 08-03-2009 07:54 AM

Anyhting that goes fast and gets beat breaks, nature of the beast...

gerritm 08-03-2009 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2921925)

Isn't he from Kenya, too?:lolhit: