Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wants to put freshwater boat in Ocean >

Wants to put freshwater boat in Ocean

Notices

Wants to put freshwater boat in Ocean

Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Eagle trailer and have put my Fountain in salt water 50 or 60 times with it. Rinse it off real good including the drain holes in the back and sides. Wax the painted surface. After constant dunking like I did before I put it back on a lift you will see a few small rust spots. A couple of dunkings will be no problem if you RINSE it immdeiately after, especially when the boat is off the trailer. As far as the fork lift, they will lift the back end of your boat, just enough to slide the strap in and then lower it and pick it off the trailer with the straps. They will usually put it on a rack and again lift it with the forks and drop it in the water. I would go to the local dry dock marina and see if you can make an in and out deal for the few times you will be there. With the slow economy most will be willing to earn a little extra. Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Just use the trailer and wash it off. as long as you rinse it off it will be fine.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I have 2 steel trailers for my both of my boats, they came that way, as they were both back repos. But that being said, the Nordic trailer doesn't get used that often, had it 5 years now, and it's still servicable, (Nordic sits on the boat lift behind the house. My hydrostream has a 2007 "Boat rite?" steel trailer under it, and I dunk that thing twice a weekend, in salt water, and I FLUSH it just like a boat engine, (haven't built a lift for the hydro yet). Plus before I put it the salt water for the 1st time, I cleaned it and sprayed Boeing T-9 all over all the components, except the carpet bunks. Works for me, has for many years here in Florida.
Dean
+1

You should also consider the trailer. If it is an 01 no harm splashing and rinsing it real well, it is already 8 years old and probably not mint anyway. If it is an 08 I would be more cautious.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
+1

You should also consider the trailer. If it is an 01 no harm splashing and rinsing it real well, it is already 8 years old and probably not mint anyway. If it is an 08 I would be more cautious.
trailer's only 2yrs old. Boat was rack stored prior to that.

thanks for the reply's! Hopefully this Winter I'll be posting wanting to know the good spots between Stuart and Miami.

mb.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

Spray the trailer with Salt Away !!! I have been using my steel Skater trailer for 5+years without a problem probably dunk it 20+ times a year in salt water.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

I second the Salt Away. I use it every time.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Registered

If you really don't want to put the trailer in, look around for used good condition trailers or even look around to see if you can rent one.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I guess those that have done it know better (salt-away etc.) but my steel Nordic trailer started rusting the first day I dunked it. I had no way of rinsing the trailer off after I launched the boat so it sat for 5-6 hours unwashed until I came back, loaded the boat and washed everything. I washed it thoroughly and inside the box frame as much as possible but it was a mess after a short time, and I mean 3-4 dunkings. The little dings from road debris started first and got a foothold along with inside the box frame. Never again will I own a steel trailer...what a waste of money. All boats that I now buy will have an aluminum trailer or no deal.

I'd have it lifted off or unload it in a fresh water canal or something, not worth the headache, and if something goes wrong and the trailer manufacturer sees that you had it in salt (not hard to tell) you're up the creek...not worth it imho.