Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bimini tops and full enclosures on an offshore? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213990-bimini-tops-full-enclosures-offshore.html)

phughes69 07-30-2009 01:47 PM

Bimini tops and full enclosures on an offshore?

Does anybody have a bimini top with a full wrap around enclosure? As uncool as it may seem, it would make sense that if foul weather poped up on you, you could put it up and still be able to make headway. Last weekend I was out on a 39' aft cabin Searay on Lake St. Clair and we were caught in a bad squall. We zipped down the sides,and the bridge was fully enclosed. We still had to be under power and making headway to maintain control over the boat. If you have something like this lets see pictures. I understand that most people would high tail it for a safe haven, but in the instance that you could not, I think it would be nice to be able to not be pelted with rain and wind.

JasonSmith 07-30-2009 01:59 PM

It is highly illegal & should not be attempted by anyone claiming to be a performance boater.

Dean Ferry 07-30-2009 02:18 PM

All my boats have Bimini tops, it's just too hot in the Florida sun, idleing thru the MANATEE ZONES not to have one down here.
Dean

VegasHallett 07-30-2009 02:46 PM

Have it on the Hallett. Bimini all the time<50mph. Plus for those overnighters we have a full zip in wrap around plastics. Came with the boat and zips to the bimini. used it a few time out here in vegas. Don't go faster than 10 mph.:drink:

RollWithIt 07-30-2009 07:22 PM

My buddy has an old 357 SR1 that has a bimini and half a wrap around. There is not back panels just the front and sides. Not practical for running hard but is nice to have when you are rafted off overnight and rain pops up.

mopower 07-30-2009 07:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a full enclose and its great for overnight and rain.
Also have plastic AND screens for side curtains.

GO4BROKE 07-30-2009 07:52 PM

don't have one, but I would like to get one made. I overnight with 3 kids, it would be much nicer than the cockpit cover.

J.B. Marshall 07-30-2009 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Funny you bring this topic up, I just had a canvas guy make one for me yesterday, he is about 95% complete. I have had the bimini but upgraded all the curtians and better screens for ventilation, I took pics today while on the trailer. I will be taking a trip down the Jersey shore next weekend and plan to make good use of it. I know it will make my wife happy :kiss:

Catmando 07-30-2009 09:52 PM

Call fountain and ask who makes their 70mph biminis.

JB how fast can you run with it up?

J.B. Marshall 07-31-2009 07:23 AM

He tells me (canvas guy) not to exceed 40 mph & of course a lot is determined by the conditions of the water.