Drive u-joint identification PLEASE

Notices

Drive u-joint identification PLEASE

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Drive u-joint identification PLEASE

Just bought a Merc re-man XR upper. The U joint looks different than the ones on my 2002 drives.......did Merc change the design of these over the years? If it matters, the "reman" is the old style just like my 2002 case.

and, they didn't put the "finned" XR top cap on as I requested 6-7 times. I'm not sure but are there any shimming issues I need to address when I finally get the correct top cap (meaning, can I just swap the top caps once I get it?)
Attached Thumbnails Drive u-joint identification PLEASE-drive-ujoint-.jpg   Drive u-joint identification PLEASE-drive-ujoint-b.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a gkn, style u-joint, some have external snap rings others have internal clips, depending on what serial # drive you have the snap rings come in different thicknesses for proper fit of the u-joint. I believe the rebuilt u-joint is a newer serial number due to the smaller size of the cap, both will work the same. As far as the top cap goes; the gear back-lash should be .009-.015 with the proper checking tools. If the drive you are using is driving the lower gear forward you will be ok, but if it's the top gear driving you forward, it needs to be checked.Do you have a local shop that is qualified to do this? I can help if not.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
That is a gkn, style u-joint, some have external snap rings others have internal clips, depending on what serial # drive you have the snap rings come in different thicknesses for proper fit of the u-joint. I believe the rebuilt u-joint is a newer serial number due to the smaller size of the cap, both will work the same. As far as the top cap goes; the gear back-lash should be .009-.015 with the proper checking tools. If the drive you are using is driving the lower gear forward you will be ok, but if it's the top gear driving you forward, it needs to be checked.Do you have a local shop that is qualified to do this? I can help if not.
Thanks for the offer. I cannot do the work, but a group of us bought all the tools and a buddy has the knowledge to tear them down/put them together. I asked him about the top cap and he felt that since I would be using the same shim that I should be able to just swap top caps....I wasn't so convinced so we will be checking it once I get the right cap.