Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sad news heard a fountain was dumped on I75!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/214526-sad-news-heard-fountain-dumped-i75.html)

10x 08-09-2009 11:34 PM

It's a good thing that you did some quick thinking with your maneuvers, otherwise it would've been a whole lot worst. Glad to hear that noone was seriously injured. Material things can be replaced, but I'm sure that this phucked up your summer.

mmareno 08-10-2009 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by gstacy2212 (Post 2928435)
I am the owner of the boat and truck. Wife and I are fine. Thx for the well wishes. For the record the truck is a 2500HD Duramax and the boat is a 99 Fountain 35. A three car accident happend right in front of us and we could not avoid. I swerved sharply to avoid but caught the tail end of the last car. One of the cars caught fire and the boat was touching the burning vehicle. It was just a matter of time before the cover caught. To my knowledge the fuel tanks on the boat were never ruptured. Hope the insurance works out but the wife and kids will sure miss that boat.....

Wow tough day!! As long as you and the family are ok.. The rest can be replaced.

Best of luck

Ms PatriYacht 08-10-2009 08:53 AM

I am very happy to hear you are all OK. Boats and trucks can be replaced. We have had a couple of close calls that were not our fault while trailering our BT, it's very stressful towing a boat on the expressway. Sounds like you did a good job in a bad situation.

Full Force 08-10-2009 08:59 AM

Yea, for some reason when you tow... every idiot in the world almost causes you to lose control, I have a few close calls also, it seems the bigger the load the more idiots are out there!

Glad everyone came out safe..

obnoxus 08-10-2009 09:01 AM

Looks like a 29 to me, 1500 would be fine if thats the case

Full Force 08-10-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by obnoxus (Post 2928604)
Looks like a 29 to me, 1500 would be fine if thats the case

See post 29.....

THLWL 08-10-2009 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by aTX427 (Post 2927998)
The entire rig is heavier than you may think. I weighed my 42 on a Cat Scale with 3/4 to 7/8 worth of fuel in main tanks, empty saddle tanks, empty water tank, no bathroon, no additional weekend supplies, aluminum Myco triple, drive guard, two spares and a tool box with some basics. It was around 15,800 lbs and change. An F450 is rated at 16,000 lbs for a bumper pull towing, so I ended up buying a F650 with air brakes, a 26,000 lb hitch, etc. to have a suffient margin of safety and prevent liability / property issues. Would not have taking much to overload the F450.

You shouldn't weigh a V hull on a Cat scale!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

laszlo01 08-10-2009 11:36 AM

Glad to hear you guys are alright, i have trailered thru that area and let me tell you there are alot of accidents in that area and have had a close call or two there as well, seems like people forget to drive when they are looking sideways at your rig and when they pass you swerve right in front of you. This is why i use 4 10K LB straps two on front at a 45 and two on the rear to hold it in place. I was told that this setup will keep the trailer attatched to the boat the best.

Originally Posted by gstacy2212 (Post 2928435)
I am the owner of the boat and truck. Wife and I are fine. Thx for the well wishes. For the record the truck is a 2500HD Duramax and the boat is a 99 Fountain 35. A three car accident happend right in front of us and we could not avoid. I swerved sharply to avoid but caught the tail end of the last car. One of the cars caught fire and the boat was touching the burning vehicle. It was just a matter of time before the cover caught. To my knowledge the fuel tanks on the boat were never ruptured. Hope the insurance works out but the wife and kids will sure miss that boat.....

jmoore1225 08-10-2009 11:47 AM

it's Great that everyone got out safe.... Hopefully the insurance company takes care of you

Lake Rat 08-10-2009 02:26 PM

Gary, Glad to hear you and Michelle are OK! I was worried when I read the description of the boat, I knew it was yours. Hope everything works out for you, I know it sucks to lose the boat!!!
Kyle