external steering question.... >

external steering question....

Notices

external steering question....

Old 04-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts
Default external steering question....

Ok I need to buy some external steering.....first thing does anyone have any they want to sell??

secondly, I would like to do this as painless and cheap as possible. I don't believe I need to run the whole system all the way up to the helm. I'm thinking I can just slap the ram on and run it in sink with the existing system. Heres my question. If the power steering belt goes or if I for some reason loose steering I don't want the drive to turn rapidly as I'm cruising down the water at 80+ MPH with my girlfriend and here beutiful daughter in the boat and it flips.....That would suck!

If I run the steering in tandom with the current stock steering will the external steering unit stabalize the drive if the belt goes or the pump or whatever?? I understand it will cost somewhere in the 2500 range for full hydrolic steering compaired to under 1500 if I run it with the stock cable.........Opinions on this???

Thanks,

Tank
Old 04-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far this has neaver happen to us, but I do understand that the sterring will stay stable. A good friend of mine has a nice full hydraulic sterring system for sal, single ram system. You can call him at Performance Marine (434) 447-8102. I think he is asking $1500. for everything.

Warren
High Priority Offsore
Old 04-02-2002, 07:02 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got full hydralic steering. My understanding is that the addon system will stablize the drive if your throw a belt. but, the steering will be very stiff. If you trow a belt on a full system you can still steer, a little harder than normal, but it will get you home.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Registered

I have Mayfair cable to Hydraulic, and I can't turn the wheel without power.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was riding with jdnca1 holding the radar gun when the belt came off. He has the add on unit that works in tandem with the stock merc set-up. The gun was showing 97 mph. The boat made a very gentle left turn and gave him plenty of time to get off of it and to fight it back straight. If you only run one ram and the hydraulic pressures equalize, the cylinder is going to slowly extend. With the use of a hydraulic helm you could hold the wheel still and the drive will also stay still. It will be pulling one way, but you could hold it. Dual rams is the way to go if you really want the safest set-up.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

I agree. Deffinately twin rams.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There turned out to be a minor mis-alignment on the power steering pulley that would cause the belt to jump at max rpm. (6100) The best bet is to make sure your belts are in good condition, aligned, and tight. If you check this periodically you should have no problem with the single ram. There are literally hundreds of boats running them so they must not be to bad. It beats the stock merc steering.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

Does anybody know if on a twin screw setup if this is as much of a concern. I would assume that the counter rotating props would keep the outdrives from suddenly shifting, but this is just an assumption.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

I just found this on OSO, maybe it will help your pursuit of hydraulic steering!

Hyd. Steering System For Sale
Old 04-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dual is better then single, single is better then nothing. If you can get that system you will be psyched but I am glad you are coming to your sences and getting the streering. The last time we talked you thought you were going to go with out. Good call on the safty issue. If you can get the dual system it is good for two reasons. One is you get more stability, but also it helps to save your gimble all the more, so you get more safty and longer lasting transom assembly.

Jon

Quick Reply: external steering question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.