Thinking about starting my own company >

Thinking about starting my own company

Notices

Thinking about starting my own company

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
I did this 22 Donzi this past year for a customer, cost was about $150,000. You will have a hard time finding many customers that will spend that kind of money on a 22 ' boat,

That Donzi is SICK!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquinosteven
Yeah the guys at PT.net are gonna help me out with the 6.0 marine conversion if its possible. You guys here are gonna help me with the boat side of things. Its good to see some guys on both though haha
LS motors have been in marine use for a while now.

Marinepower has them http://www.marinepowerusa.com/Products/60L.aspx

PCM has them http://pcmengines.com/engines_zr.php

Raylar has them http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html

exhaust for LS marine engine:
http://www.boatstoreonline.com/LS_Marine_exhaust.html

In fact the only player that is behind the times is Mercruiser.
While your idea has merit without a good source of income
your not gonna get far. To restore any boat well enough and different enough to have people take notice of your work would mean spending a lot of cash and will take a lot of hours.
Kinda hard to make that cash if your going to school and spending all those hours restoring a boat and hard to spend those hours restoring while your going to school and making cash . Its a Catch 22. Way to do it is take a good job like the one offered to you by Whaler after you get your degree and restore in your spare time.
That way you get degree+money and headstart on your dreams all in one.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info guys, Im going to get a degree so thats out of the question. Im gonna try to still work while in school to help keep the hobby going. I would like to purchase a boat to build up while in school and use it during the season, then ill try to sell it and start all over again. Hopefully i will have built and sold a couple of boats by the time i get out of college and will make building them a part time thing while having a full time job. If its get big enough to become full time then i commit and transfer my funds to creating my own hull but thats 30 years from now. I think i have to focus on the first 4 years which is school first and finding a hull to build up second. I would like a hull no larger than 20'. I like the donzis, scarabs, fourwinns, panteras, and anything else that would be similar.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...ht_3435wt_1167

Little bigger then i would have liked but look at the price!!!! Needs twins which is a big down side
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Registered

Well i have found a couple boats the are in need of some lovin for under 5000 which is great. Ill post some pics once i pic one of these up.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've started and managed successful companies, went to college and have an MBA. My advice, if you want to start a business, do it. HOwever, think long term and "what if" scenarios. It's easy when you're successfull and lucky (there are some un(formally)educated making lots of money due to luck or simple hard work, but obtaining a degree will not make you successful. It might put you in debt so you try to start a business with student loans (been there done that), which does not make the entrepreneurship any easier.

Do what you have passion for. If you work hard and are persistant (and can live frugal) and you enjoy it, you can be successful as long as you stay creative and work around external factors (like the economy).

However, long term, if you feel the education is necessary, do it now rather than later.

The only thing a degree does for you is give you more options for careers, it doesn't mean you'll make more money. Go to college for a passion about a career, not for $$. If you want $$ and don't care what you do, find one of the few unions left or work in a utility, etc. industry.

In the "old days", the union guy at GM is making $55-70k on the line and the Financial Analyst in the office is making $55-70k and paying back a student loan. So, as long as you're happy in what you do, that's what matters. One may be a dead end job and the other not, but it's all in what you want to be when you grow up.

Fortunately, in my 20+ career years, I still have yet to grow up so my search is still on.

For those saying go into "business"....well, good luck finding a job. We're in a smaller town and there was a local job in Finance where my wife works that REQUIRED an MBA and 34 people applied. They were astounded. In a better economy there would have been 10 or so. There are a lot of business grads (new and old) looking for work and it's brutal right now. The good thing about opening a business is you're in more control of making your own luck.

Good luck in what you do, but I'm a guy with an MBA working along another MBA in jobs we don't need or use them. So, in that respect, the education was a waste of money. There are two sides to all of these experiences.

Last edited by 32fever; 08-11-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32fever
I've started and managed successful companies, went to college and have an MBA. My advice, if you want to start a business, do it. HOwever, think long term and "what if" scenarios. It's easy when you're successfull and lucky (there are some un(formally)educated making lots of money due to luck or simple hard work, but obtaining a degree will not make you successful. It might put you in debt so you try to start a business with student loans (been there done that), which does not make the entrepreneurship any easier.

Do what you have passion for. If you work hard and are persistant (and can live frugal) and you enjoy it, you can be successful as long as you stay creative and work around external factors (like the economy).

However, long term, if you feel the education is necessary, do it now rather than later.

The only thing a degree does for you is give you more options for careers, it doesn't mean you'll make more money. Go to college for a passion about a career, not for $$. If you want $$ and don't care what you do, find one of the few unions left or work in a utility, etc. industry.

In the "old days", the union guy at GM is making $55-70k on the line and the Financial Analyst in the office is making $55-70k and paying back a student loan. So, as long as you're happy in what you do, that's what matters. One may be a dead end job and the other not, but it's all in what you want to be when you grow up.

Fortunately, in my 20+ career years, I still have yet to grow up so my search is still on.

For those saying go into "business"....well, good luck finding a job. We're in a smaller town and there was a local job in Finance where my wife works that REQUIRED an MBA and 34 people applied. They were astounded. In a better economy there would have been 10 or so. There are a lot of business grads (new and old) looking for work and it's brutal right now. The good thing about opening a business is you're in more control of making your own luck.

Good luck in what you do, but I'm a guy with an MBA working along another MBA in jobs we don't need or use them. So, in that respect, the education was a waste of money. There are two sides to all of these experiences.

Yeah, im in the worst possible position going into college. If i come out with a $200,000 degree and theres nothing for me then im screwed but hopefully this will all turn around in the next four years. I live right up the street from a guy who started a company right out of high school doing nuclear waste disposal. He makes over 2 mil. a year and is happy as can be. He also has a very nice 38zr comp. But the main this is that not everyone need a degree to make a decent living but in my case i think i do. Right now i can go to school for 20 years and still not find a job.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Registered

Follow your dreams. I am 30 now and at your age was in the same shape. Only difference was mine was cars. Hell I went to college got a degree in automotive technology, and now I sell tractors and power equipment for a living. Never stop dreaming or working on your dreams. Make as many connections as you can. I wish a site like this would of been around when I was your age. Oh yeah more great advice "never mix your hobby with your business, then you dont have a hobby anymore"
Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered

You know, it's often said that you can make a small fortune in the boat business. If you start with large fortune.

Get the degree.

Pesky Varmint
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean about not mixing your hobby with your business ? What about Lipship, Teague, Me ect ect. My passion for the sport has only help my business by getting my product out there and proving it works....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.