Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking about starting my own company >

Thinking about starting my own company

Notices

Thinking about starting my own company

Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I acually think Aquino is a great name for a boat. It's got Aqua right in the name. We all know Reggie "Fountain". But if you didn't know what a Fountain was, would you relate it to a boat? Or a Cigarrette? Or even Skater?. Anyhow, Education is great, but it doesn't gurantee success. I have plenty of friends with degrees on their walls, driving 10 year old cars and living in apartments. When they were going to school I was going to the river. Good luck with you dreams. It seems to me that many of your generation lack those dreams an expect to be "taken care of". Sorry, my opinion....Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread brings up an interesting point. Are boats like the 22 Donzi, in point of fact, the prototypical performance boats of the future in a downsized post Obama economy?

How many of your 40+ foot mega power vee and cat owners could see themselves in a 20-28 foot performance hull with modest big or small block power? Should we begin to look at the smaller hulls for upgraded technology, much like today's rice burner's versus the old Muscle cars?

I know we had more fun, learned more skills, and generally fast boated on a much smaller platform in the old days......

Thoughts?

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-20-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel
That Donzi is SICK!
I think it looked better before all the work.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Thoughts?
No thank you I gave at the office...
Old 08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I think it looked better before all the work.
Does that mean you still own and watch a B&W TV
Old 08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your thinking kid. For starters starting a business in a downturn economy is not all bad. It is much easier to start in a booming economy and there is a good chance when it slows down and it will you will be out of business. By starting your business now it is more work but it will teach you how to be streamlined and stay light on your feet. This is a lesson that they can't teach you in Bschool. I say follow your dream and at first keep it small w/ little to no overhead. Go for it and don't max out your cc cards to do it. Real life experiance is much more valuable than what you learn in the classroom.

I say prepare a business plan figure out a budget and present it to a few people that you may know in the business world as well as the boating world.

Josh
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well I would have to agree with everyone who posted here. Being 17 is great but hink of what lind of life you would have testoring boats. I started in the Marine industry when I was 15 only 'cause my ole man worked for a drive company that built outdrives and then it progressed from there. Next is was buying and saling boats out of our backyard. Then after mom passed on thats when dear old Dad told ud kids about buying a marine business. Waht he did'n tell me was I would be sale bait and tackel too. So thats how I got started in the bizz. After moving to Fl, my second job was working for Donzi Marine and learning the ends and outs of boat building. My main fortay was rigging which included enginges, drives, electrical, mounting hardware to the deck. Putting the deck and hull together the the remainder of the boat and water testing. That went on from '77 to '86 off and on again at Donzi Marine. Once hooked you never leave the business. But after 32 years here I am still working on boat. Been from one end of the spectrum clear to the ohter end and now doing custom rigging on high performace boats. As for wanting to restore a Donzi Classic as they call them (THE REAL DONZI) THERE REALLY IS'NT MUCH TO THE THEM. The main cost to restore is the enginge package, uph, gauge package, and hardware. Not much to it but something nice to have a blast from the past. Here is a 22 2+3 that was modifed with a pro Charger and later rebuiling the transom. Good Luck with endevor. Warren.. http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...96/CATCH%2022/
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jima97
I'm just glad to see a 17 year old thinking out of the box.
Agreed... I'm glad to see you have a dream, when the dream dies you die.

I am a buisness owner that never attended college and feel that was a major mistake and a strike against me that I never went to college for buisness & finance . This is a major part of running a successful buisness. Take this time while the economy is bad and wait it out. Go to school learn buisness & finance and work for Marine industry companies part-time , weekends & summers for some on the job training till you graduate.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered

Default my 22 classic

Originally Posted by brian41
Does that mean you still own and watch a B&W TV
he must be a simple man or maybe dosn't even have a tv...would be nice to see what he has ? maybe he will post what he thinks is cool
Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I started my business when in school. While all my buddies were partying every weekend I drove home and worked out of my brothers auto body shop. I then got out of school and the economy was brutal. I tried to work for other people but it was not for me. The good news was that I had the ground work laid for me to go into business for myself. I rented a small place for cheap money and started "Audio Innovations". At first I installed car stereo systems. Then fallowing a car accident I could not do car systems any more with the bad back. So I moved into home systems. I have carved out a decent place in the market for myself and things have been good for a while. I will say that you can give up a lot in the way of personal life, relationships are very hard to maintain/start, but in the end it can work out well once you find balance. Keep your costs down, you don't need a big flashy store front to get it to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.