If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Flemington, N.J. U.S.A

Question Help, Going to the keys with wide boat ?

A friend of mine is leaveing NJ to go down to Isle of Merauda keys . (Sorry about that spelling !) He is taking his new 27' Grady White . It has a 9'6" beam . ONly wide at the rub rail . The bottom is the same size as trailer (8'6"). Will he have any problems going down there being a little wide ? Also it is 13' 6" tall ! That part is legal but it is as tall as a tractor trailer . Any help would be great . I don't want to see him have problems .

Thanks ,JOE

My Boats:
    86 Formula, F357-SR1
    hingham,ma ,usa
    Joe, Send me an email with your number and I can help you. The 13'6" is right at the limit so measure it well. The 9'6" you should buy a permit can get expensive but if you get stopped without one it will be very expensive.The width laws are 8'6" wide then you need to buy permits. I'm in the Heavy and Specialized hauling buisness and go through this 6-8 times a day. Mark B.

Flemington, N.J. U.S.A
    Thanks mark(mfb357) . He hauls equipment too . Thants one reason he is afraid . I have a cat thats 12' wide and have been checked out and let go . I told them it's mine , not for hire , and for recreational perposes . I was sort of told by the state that if it your own and for rec. perposes ,you don't need permits . Every one has a different opinion on that though . Seams the guys that haul the big cat alot say ,"Just go , don't worry ! "
    # is 908-782-0688 I'll also send my number to you incase you don't get this, If you want to call me tomorrow (Wednesday) ,I would like to see what you have found on this . I think you may have helped me a little last year when I bought my cat in Michigan and hauled back to NJ . THanks ,JOE

Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore
    A couple of years ago we had some race boat (cats) coming to Point Pleasant from Florida. Well they had the permits in place but the whole ride up 95 was in a bad rain and things went slowly. At 1am they got pulled over in MD and their permits expired at midnight.

Can you believe they impounded the rigs and it took a call to a congressman, who called the Govener of MD to get them out and back on the road to make the race the next morning.

Moral is, it's not what you know, but rather who you know. Or make sure your permits are for the days you will be traveling.